so my dad knows i gave up god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 08:46 PM
so my dad knows i gave up god.
i havent had a real need to post lately.. but this weekend has given me one.
so over the weekend i went to my dads house. it started out great, but at some point. trying to help my dad get ready to cook dinner.. and clean.. i got really ill. like mad. the house was a wreck. i think ive posted things about this before but short story. my dads a truck driver sun-fri my brother and his gf along with my nephew live with my dad. he pays for their food, their bills.. everything. all he asks is for a clean house. well i opened my big mouth and got in all kinds of trouble.
so due to my brothers inability to have a grown up conversation he started to attack my life. calling me a college drop out, saying my bf doesnt have a real job.. and then he did it. i dont know how he knew because i would never tell my brother personal things about my life.. especially my non beliefs in god (one of my sisters had to do it) he busted out "the reason i dont have anything to do with you is because you let your boyfriend talk you out of a religion that you believed so much in. you are not a leader but a follower." and my dad isnt aware and goes YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS?!?
he quickly gained his cool and goes into this
"so what you believe in evolution now?" i said i dont know what i believe. "ok so what science has proven that we evolved from tadpoles. they say evolution is real. but they have NO evidence of the transition that comes from evolution. no fossil that shows one thing evolving into another"
i didnt carry this conversation out. but it bothered me. i asked my dad if he was going to treat me any different and he said no. but.. with the rest of the story thats too dramatic to put in.. i believe he will. my brother has disowned me basically.
he wouldnt listen to me say that brandon didnt talk me out of god. that i went out on my own. he just wanted to blame someone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2016, 08:54 PM
RE: so my dad knows i gave up god.
Buy your dad a copy of Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish and a copy of Francis Collins' The Language of God. You should read them, too... offer to read them together as a bonding thing, or have "book club" type dinner meetings about it.

Tell him you will not talk about religion (or lack thereof) one more word until he has read and understood those books well enough to discuss them. At that point you can open up to talk about your personal beliefs.

Edit to Add: Since he's a truck driver, books-on-tape might be a good option for him, so he can listen while he drives.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
22-08-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry that this happened to you. I'm not sure how I would handle this if it was me.

The worst I got from my wife when I came out to her was (in a nutshell) "your soul, your problem" and "don't let the kids know", but I had the benefit of telling her on my terms after "testing the waters".

Your brother did something that he knew would be very hurtful to both you and your father...how christian of him. Dodgy

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
22-08-2016, 09:12 PM
(22-08-2016 08:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Buy your dad a copy of Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish and a copy of Francis Collins' The Language of God. You should read them, too... offer to read them together as a bonding thing, or have "book club" type dinner meetings about it.

Tell him you will not talk about religion (or lack thereof) one more word until he has read and understood those books well enough to discuss them. At that point you can open up to talk about your personal beliefs.

Edit to Add: Since he's a truck driver, books-on-tape might be a good option for him, so he can listen while he drives.

unless its a bible hes not going to read it. they are the kind to have their beliefs and arent open to anything else.
22-08-2016, 09:13 PM
(22-08-2016 09:08 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I'm sorry that this happened to you. I'm not sure how I would handle this if it was me.

The worst I got from my wife when I came out to her was (in a nutshell) "your soul, your problem" and "don't let the kids know", but I had the benefit of telling her on my terms after "testing the waters".

Your brother did something that he knew would be very hurtful to both you and your father...how christian of him. Dodgy

its my brothers tactic. throw things out that will hurt. he wouldnt face the real problem. but thats what i told him.. about how christian it was of him.
22-08-2016, 10:39 PM
I really don't understand why evolution gets brought up so much with regards to religion.

Being an atheist simply means you don't believe in sky daddies. Whether you give a fuck or not about the fact of evolution is irrelevant.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
22-08-2016, 10:46 PM
(22-08-2016 10:39 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I really don't understand why evolution gets brought up so much with regards to religion.

Being an atheist simply means you don't believe in sky daddies. Whether you give a fuck or not about the fact of evolution is irrelevant.

i dont know if thats what my dad believes anyone who doesnt believe in god believes or not. i dont even know why he brought it up.
22-08-2016, 10:53 PM
(22-08-2016 09:12 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(22-08-2016 08:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Buy your dad a copy of Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish and a copy of Francis Collins' The Language of God. You should read them, too... offer to read them together as a bonding thing, or have "book club" type dinner meetings about it.

unless its a bible hes not going to read it. they are the kind to have their beliefs and arent open to anything else.

You might be surprised, especially with the latter book-- it's written by an evangelical Christian, and is a pro-Christian (and pro-science) book.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-08-2016, 11:33 PM
(22-08-2016 10:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(22-08-2016 09:12 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  unless its a bible hes not going to read it. they are the kind to have their beliefs and arent open to anything else.

You might be surprised, especially with the latter book-- it's written by an evangelical Christian, and is a pro-Christian (and pro-science) book.

ok thanks. ill google them and give it a try.
23-08-2016, 02:17 AM
It really angers me when I see this sort of divisiveness in families brought about solely by religion, or a lack thereof.

Religion is supposed to be all about peace and happiness, love and harmony etc. But all too often it's the catalyst for intolerance and distrust, hatred and aggression.

Your dad says, "OK so what science has proven that we evolved from tadpoles. They say evolution is real. But they have NO evidence of the transition that comes from evolution. No fossil that shows one thing evolving into another".

My bolding shows his errors of fact. Homo sapiens did not "evolve" from tadpoles. The great apes and humans prove an evolutionary process. And something of a specific taxonomy never evolves [sic] into another, such as an emu into a kangaroo, which explains why we never find this sort of transitional fossil.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post