so now churches send teens out to ask questions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2015, 04:14 AM
so now churches send teens out to ask questions?
Had an interesting afternoon at the mall. I was approached by 2 teen boys asking questions about what I believe and why. So I told them and that it was my own personal research. Then they asked about morality and where it comes from. I told them. It wasn't an in depth conversation it was brief.

Later about 2 hours I guess they approached me again and said they enjoyed talking to me and have a great day. I told them the same. I'm hoping it triggered them into doing there own research.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like purpledaisies's post
17-06-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: so now churches send teens out to ask questions?
(17-06-2015 04:14 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Had an interesting afternoon at the mall. I was approached by 2 teen boys asking questions about what I believe and why. So I told them and that it was my own personal research. Then they asked about morality and where it comes from. I told them. It wasn't an in depth conversation it was brief.

Later about 2 hours I guess they approached me again and said they enjoyed talking to me and have a great day. I told them the same. I'm hoping it triggered them into doing there own research.

Until they go back and report in to the church what you said. Then they will be subjected to serious bible study in a controlled environment to undo the damage you caused. Nice job.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
17-06-2015, 07:55 AM
(17-06-2015 07:20 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 04:14 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Had an interesting afternoon at the mall. I was approached by 2 teen boys asking questions about what I believe and why. So I told them and that it was my own personal research. Then they asked about morality and where it comes from. I told them. It wasn't an in depth conversation it was brief.

Until they go back and report in to the church what you said. Then they will be subjected to serious bible study in a controlled environment to undo the damage you caused. Nice job.

That did cross my mind I am hoping that they will Google some and get enough facts before they go back.
17-06-2015, 08:07 AM
If "now" = "for the past couple millennia" then yeah.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-06-2015, 08:26 AM
(17-06-2015 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If "now" = "for the past couple millennia" then yeah.

This was the first time it happened to me in public like that.
17-06-2015, 09:43 AM
They send the kids, because after exposure to religion for long periods of time, a person tends to get rather unbecoming - appearance wise......

If you don't believe it -- you should see some of the geezer mutants that show up on my doorstep from time to time on Saturday mornings....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I was approcehed simalerly to that a few months back.

A friend and I had just come out of the movie theater and were talking about the movie we had just saw. When this teen approached us and handed us some paper money that had IN GOD WE TRUST highlighted and a picture of Jesus where the presidents face would have been. We both took the "Million dollar bill" nodded and went back to talking.

The kid stood there and stare at us. We didn't instigate any conversation but he had no problem butting into ours. "What movie did you guys see?" "Was it any good?" "Where you brought up in a religious house hold?" We both just blank stared him, giving short one word responses. My friend is a Theist but it doesn't control his life. And I really wasn't in the mood for a debate, I just wanted to hangout with my friend and see a movie. The kid continued "Would you guys let Jesus in your hearts?" "You should come to our church. There not pushy at all." Again we just looked at him, until he walked away.

Had it been another time maybe we would have instigated a conversation. My friend is a Child psychiatrist and I love a good debate. But I didn't feel up for it. Plus I don't feel like advertising I'm an Atheist when I'm surrounded by people, that were exiting the theater.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
17-06-2015, 12:04 PM
(17-06-2015 12:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I was approcehed simalerly to that a few months back.

A friend and I had just come out of the movie theater and were talking about the movie we had just saw. When this teen approached us and handed us some paper money that had IN GOD WE TRUST highlighted and a picture of Jesus where the presidents face would have been. We both took the "Million dollar bill" nodded and went back to talking.

The kid stood there and stare at us. We didn't instigate any conversation but he had no problem butting into ours. "What movie did you guys see?" "Was it any good?" "Where you brought up in a religious house hold?" We both just blank stared him, giving short one word responses. My friend is a Theist but it doesn't control his life. And I really wasn't in the mood for a debate, I just wanted to hangout with my friend and see a movie. The kid continued "Would you guys let Jesus in your hearts?" "You should come to our church. There not pushy at all." Again we just looked at him, until he walked away.

Had it been another time maybe we would have instigated a conversation. My friend is a Child psychiatrist and I love a good debate. But I didn't feel up for it. Plus I don't feel like advertising I'm an Atheist when I'm surrounded by people, that were exiting the theater.

Wow that was a little over the top. Glad these boys didn't do that. I didn't know what class it was for til I asked. I kinda figured it was for church but I asked anyway. These boys were very nice and didn't invite me to church or even gave their opinion on religion. It was very nice.
Sorry you had to go through that.
17-06-2015, 12:23 PM
In my brief (stupid) time in a baptist church when I was in highschool they wanted to give me the pleasure of going to LA to street preach. It would only cost me 2000 dollars.

Glad I didnt go. lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post