something that drives me crazy about theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2017, 12:30 PM
something that drives me crazy about theists
I have something that absouluetly drives me crazy about theists. It is that god never gets any blame when things go wrong. It's always the theists fault and god never gets judged or held accountable. What kind of fucked up relationship is it when you get all the blame? That's one of many reasons I could never be a theist again. How many of us can relate to being in a relationship where they are made to blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong (I know I can). In response to this, the healthy thing to do is to end the relationship. But theists continue to blame and shame themselves for everything that goes wrong in their life and wind up trying harder to get gods attention (just like a person tries to get their partners love when they are in a one sided relationship). Theists have little self esteem because they are so afraid of disappointing god. My sister said she sins every day. I begged to differ with her; I don't believe I sin every dayTongue, and I don't need to be forgiven by some deity. To further illustrate my point, all you have to do is watch any sporting event. When the person does good, they point to the sky, One time I would like to see someone flip god off when they perform badly, and as yet that hasn't happened. I find god guily of being a prickBig Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kevin308's post
08-05-2017, 12:35 PM
RE: something that drives me crazy about theists
In many ways it looks like an abusive relationship

[Image: 42a475ee83cdb8581f22c2f6bca9741d.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 15 users Like unfogged's post
08-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Yes, it does tend to be a relationship with a very manipulative and abusive character. It's often been compared to Stockholm Syndrome, where people start to like and even revere those who trap and abuse them. And it's like the battered spouse who blames themselves for every black eye or "fall" down the stairs. They must have done something to deserve it, or it wouldn't have happened.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Robvalue's post
08-05-2017, 12:44 PM
(08-05-2017 12:35 PM)unfogged Wrote:  In many ways it looks like an abusive relationship

[Image: 42a475ee83cdb8581f22c2f6bca9741d.jpg]
Well put, abusive is right on.
[+] 1 user Likes kevin308's post
08-05-2017, 01:04 PM
(08-05-2017 12:30 PM)kevin308 Wrote:  I have something that absouluetly drives me crazy about theists. It is that god never gets any blame when things go wrong. It's always the theists fault and god never gets judged or held accountable. What kind of fucked up relationship is it when you get all the blame?

I'm not sure which theists you have in mind here, because that wouldn't be a Judea-Christian belief, as was a part of the point expressed in Job. That bad things don't necessarily fall upon you because you did something wrong. As well as in the NT writings, were an unfortunate life laid ahead of those who choose to follow Jesus.

While you may be correct to say that theists don't personally blame God for the wrong that befalls them, but Christianity doesn't claim that whatever misfortune that falls upon you is your fault either. Christianity doesn't preach that a rose garden awaits the observant believer.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Credit for all of the good things that happen and no responsibility for any of the bad?

Man, I really want his job.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
08-05-2017, 01:15 PM
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Christianity doesn't preach that a rose garden awaits the observant believer.

Does so too. Heaven is supposed to be that, no?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-05-2017, 01:15 PM
(08-05-2017 01:12 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Credit for all of the good things that happen and no responsibility for any of the bad?

Man, I really want his job.
I know, right.
08-05-2017, 01:17 PM
(08-05-2017 01:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Christianity doesn't preach that a rose garden awaits the observant believer.

Does so too. Heaven is supposed to be that, no?
Exactly. Suposedlly heaven awaits the believer. A perfect place where thre is no pain.
[+] 1 user Likes kevin308's post
08-05-2017, 01:30 PM
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not sure which theists you have in mind here, because that wouldn't be a Judea-Christian belief, as was a part of the point expressed in Job. That bad things don't necessarily fall upon you because you did something wrong.

Obviously, because Job didn't do anything wrong. His life turned to crap because the god he followed had a little side bet with Satan: "Hey, I'll bet you that my followers are such idiots that I can be a complete asshole to one of them, turn his life to crap for no reason whatsoever, and he will still crawl to me on his belly and worship me!"

And that's the god the evangelicals keep trying to persuade us to worship, because he is such a "loving" master. Um. Thanks, but no thanks. Really. Shocking If I believed that any gods existed, I certainly would want nothing to do with that one.
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post