something that drives me crazy about theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2017, 01:47 PM
RE: something that drives me crazy about theists
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 12:30 PM)kevin308 Wrote:  I have something that absouluetly drives me crazy about theists. It is that god never gets any blame when things go wrong. It's always the theists fault and god never gets judged or held accountable. What kind of fucked up relationship is it when you get all the blame?

I'm not sure which theists you have in mind here, because that wouldn't be a Judea-Christian belief, as was a part of the point expressed in Job. That bad things don't necessarily fall upon you because you did something wrong. As well as in the NT writings, were an unfortunate life laid ahead of those who choose to follow Jesus.

While you may be correct to say that theists don't personally blame God for the wrong that befalls them, but Christianity doesn't claim that whatever misfortune that falls upon you is your fault either. Christianity doesn't preach that a rose garden awaits the observant believer.
But god has a big ole hissy fit when Job dares to ask why these bad things happened to him. The lesson is, it might be the devil, but don't you dare question gawd's "plan" for your life. Even if it involves the permanent, horrible, painful deaths of your loved ones just so that god can win a bet with the devil--with whom He's on awfully friendly terms.

I never can get past the deaths of Job's first set of significant others as simply a move in a game.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like julep's post
08-05-2017, 03:17 PM
(08-05-2017 12:30 PM)kevin308 Wrote:  I have something that absouluetly drives me crazy about theists. It is that god never gets any blame when things go wrong.

What drives me crazy about the theists I've talked with is how they rationalize everything. This is obviously related to your observation, but theists just make things up to justify their beliefs. Effectively, they repeatedly lie to themselves and others. They often consider their beliefs more important than the observable facts.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
08-05-2017, 03:24 PM
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Christianity doesn't preach that a rose garden awaits the observant believer.
Depends entirely on how you cherry pick. But I am not aware of a Christian denomination that doesn't "puff" the ol' "god confounds the wicked and blesses the righteous" notions and soft pedals the rest -- then switches when misfortune arrives.

How else would they get converts? There has to be a value proposition -- or, ideally, multiple value propositions. Some people buy the pie in the sky by and by promises, some have more immediate needs and interests, and come to the faith "looking for answers". God, heal my marriage. God, save my child from this fatal illness. God, help me with my particular existential crisis.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
08-05-2017, 06:10 PM
(08-05-2017 12:30 PM)kevin308 Wrote:  I have something that absouluetly drives me crazy about theists. It is that god never gets any blame when things go wrong. It's always the theists fault and god never gets judged or held accountable. What kind of fucked up relationship is it when you get all the blame? That's one of many reasons I could never be a theist again. How many of us can relate to being in a relationship where they are made to blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong (I know I can). In response to this, the healthy thing to do is to end the relationship. But theists continue to blame and shame themselves for everything that goes wrong in their life and wind up trying harder to get gods attention (just like a person tries to get their partners love when they are in a one sided relationship). Theists have little self esteem because they are so afraid of disappointing god. My sister said she sins every day. I begged to differ with her; I don't believe I sin every dayTongue, and I don't need to be forgiven by some deity. To further illustrate my point, all you have to do is watch any sporting event. When the person does good, they point to the sky, One time I would like to see someone flip god off when they perform badly, and as yet that hasn't happened. I find god guily of being a prickBig Grin

It's the distorted thinking you get when someone puts something (especially something deeply flawed) up on a pedestal and insists that it can do no wrong and have no fault... whether it's a god, a lover, a child, a country, or a favorite fandom. You get the same excuses, the same denial, the same fanaticism, and the same dangers to blasphemers.
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
08-05-2017, 06:19 PM
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 12:30 PM)kevin308 Wrote:  I have something that absouluetly drives me crazy about theists. It is that god never gets any blame when things go wrong. It's always the theists fault and god never gets judged or held accountable. What kind of fucked up relationship is it when you get all the blame?

I'm not sure which theists you have in mind here, because that wouldn't be a Judea-Christian belief, as was a part of the point expressed in Job. That bad things don't necessarily fall upon you because you did something wrong. As well as in the NT writings, were an unfortunate life laid ahead of those who choose to follow Jesus.

While you may be correct to say that theists don't personally blame God for the wrong that befalls them, but Christianity doesn't claim that whatever misfortune that falls upon you is your fault either. Christianity doesn't preach that a rose garden awaits the observant believer.

I disagree. People praise god all the time for shit that god had nothing to do with. Yet, when shit goes wrong...it's your fault because you didn't pray hard enough or attend the right church or give enough to said church.

It's all blame all the time.

If a god did exist, he would totally deserve blame.

Maybe that's why there's no proof any god exists?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Quote:I disagree. People praise god all the time for shit that god had nothing to do with. Yet, when shit goes wrong...it's your fault because you didn't pray hard enough or attend the right church or give enough to said church.

No main christian denomination holds that when shit goes wrong it's your fault. Because it pretty clear in the NT writings that this is not the case, I mean the central hero of Christianity, is a man for whom shit did go wrong, dying a brutal and humiliating death at the hands of the Romans. And whose early followers, leaders of it's early movement met grisly and tragic fates of their own.

It's pretty explicit that believers are not spared "shit going wrong" in this life, in fact it's almost guaranteed to go wrong for the believer.

Other religions may have a different outlook, but Christianity on the other hands leaves very little room for such a view.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-05-2017, 06:55 PM
(08-05-2017 03:24 PM)mordant Wrote:  Depends entirely on how you cherry pick. But I am not aware of a Christian denomination that doesn't "puff" the ol' "god confounds the wicked and blesses the righteous" notions and soft pedals the rest -- then switches when misfortune arrives.

To cherry pick on that scale would require you to erase pretty much the entire NT all together. It's not even a point of dispute among denominations, or traditions, it's a settled a view among denominations as you could possibly get.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-05-2017, 06:57 PM
(08-05-2017 01:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Christianity doesn't preach that a rose garden awaits the observant believer.

Does so too. Heaven is supposed to be that, no?

I should have added "in this life".

08-05-2017, 07:29 PM
(08-05-2017 06:55 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 03:24 PM)mordant Wrote:  Depends entirely on how you cherry pick. But I am not aware of a Christian denomination that doesn't "puff" the ol' "god confounds the wicked and blesses the righteous" notions and soft pedals the rest -- then switches when misfortune arrives.

To cherry pick on that scale would require you to erase pretty much the entire NT all together. It's not even a point of dispute among denominations, or traditions, it's a settled a view among denominations as you could possibly get.

Christians cherry pick on that scale all the time. So much so that they don't even realize it when they do so. Do you not realize you also do this Tomasia? And some of the things you've said would require you to throw out most if not all the NT to remain logically consistent. Not joking go back through what you've said since you've been here and try and look a bit more closely, see if you can understand the problems with much of what you've said.

To a ciristian specifically cherry picking becomes second nature and extends far beyond religion. Why don't we go into ANY christian home and I'll show you. It's not hard to demonstrate.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
08-05-2017, 07:32 PM
(08-05-2017 06:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 01:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not sure which theists you have in mind here, because that wouldn't be a Judea-Christian belief, as was a part of the point expressed in Job. That bad things don't necessarily fall upon you because you did something wrong. As well as in the NT writings, were an unfortunate life laid ahead of those who choose to follow Jesus.

I disagree. People praise god all the time for shit that god had nothing to do with. Yet, when shit goes wrong...it's your fault because you didn't pray hard enough or attend the right church or give enough to said church.

It's all blame all the time.

If a god did exist, he would totally deserve blame.

Maybe that's why there's no proof any god exists?

Lol if you watch darkmatter2525 his representation of god I could totally see ducking the blame by being unproveable lol

He's also an unreasonable ass that would expect people to believe anyway..... Maybe Darkmatter is onto something lol

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post