sons girlfriends parents are black mailing them

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2016, 12:09 AM
sons girlfriends parents are black mailing them
I don't know what to do?? My sons girlfriend parents cosigned for a car for her. OK great this happened before her and my son got together. So anyway some how her dad got it tagged her his name and she is not on the insurance. This is what I was told by the girlfriend.

Ok so girlfriend said that her parents told her that if she didn't move back home they will take her car and sue her for it. She is up to date on the payment. Now they don't care if my sons come along as long as she moves home.

Something is not right here. First I don't like this black mail thing at all. Second how did her dad get the car tagged him his name only??

If they did say this I do not want my child to he around people like this. They will screw him. Ugh so frustrated
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2016, 03:18 PM
RE: sons girlfriends parents are black mailing them
Registering the car in the parent't name is an old ploy to get cheaper insurance if he has a good driving record. The daughter may be listed as an occasional driver and him as the main driver.
[+] 2 users Like Takelababy's post
24-02-2016, 04:07 PM
I would question whether her father was truly able to only get it registered in his name. To do so would require permission from her, as the main signer, AND the lender, as the owner of the lien, to change the registration. But he certainly could due to have his name removed from the registration, but there's no way he'd go through the cost of that.

As for insurance, that would be well within his right to revoke her name from the insurance. It would be terrible parenting, but still well within his rights.

Personally, I think if your son is in such a solid relationship that he's living with this girl, you would be within your right to contact her parents and get the full story. I'd let your son know and see if you can help mediate the situation. Doesn't have to be a tenuous situation; just approach it with an open mind. I have a feeling there's more to the story. Perhaps, even, the reasoning is made up, but your son is trying to protect your feelings but he wants to move out. Who knows? But I'd get their side of the story before moving forward.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
24-02-2016, 04:32 PM
I point blank asked gf how he registered the car, she said she didn't know. But insurance is not a big deal they can afford that. I did tell them that too.

I do have a feeling some things not as it seems. So I did tell my son I'd call her parents to try to get a better understanding. Bit hr said it would make it worse. I feel stuck. This is not a normal thing to do to your child. They are young and still blindly go along with what your parents say because well they are your parents.
I did Google this situation about what her legal rights are and I sent it to them. I don't like this idea of black mailing .
24-02-2016, 05:19 PM
OK I got the answers I was looking for. So he's not a cosigner as His name is in the title. So that means he can jerk her around with this car if she wants to keep it.

My problem is the do what I say or I'll take my car that you are buying from me. It really is pissing me off bad. You don't do that to people let alone your child! For what control??
24-02-2016, 10:38 PM
(24-02-2016 05:19 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  OK I got the answers I was looking for. So he's not a cosigner as His name is in the title. So that means he can jerk her around with this car if she wants to keep it.

My problem is the do what I say or I'll take my car that you are buying from me. It really is pissing me off bad. You don't do that to people let alone your child! For what control??

IMO you stand up to the black mail. It might suck for a while, but caving would be worse. She must just tell him to get fucked, and if he takes the car so be it. He will have irreparably damaged his relationship with her over a stupid vehicle. Well done. That deserves a slow clap.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-02-2016, 10:48 PM
(24-02-2016 12:09 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Ok so girlfriend said that her parents told her that if she didn't move back home they will take her car and sue her for it. She is up to date on the payment. Now they don't care if my sons come along as long as she moves home.

It's a dick move but the fact that they're willing to take in your son says something. Why are they so worried about her to compel her to come back home?

#sigh
25-02-2016, 01:27 AM
(24-02-2016 10:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 05:19 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  OK I got the answers I was looking for. So he's not a cosigner as His name is in the title. So that means he can jerk her around with this car if she wants to keep it.

IMO you stand up to the black mail. It might suck for a while, but caving would be worse. She must just tell him to get fucked, and if he takes the car so be it. He will have irreparably damaged his relationship with her over a stupid vehicle. Well done. That deserves a slow clap.
I had a heart to with her and she isn't willing to fight them. She will move back home. My son doesn't want to go. He's been trying to talk her out of it. There is nothing I can do about her but I will continue to talk to my son. Not that I don't want him to move but more that I want him to be aware and not let them bully him if he does move with her. What else van I do?
25-02-2016, 02:21 AM
(25-02-2016 01:27 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 10:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  IMO you stand up to the black mail. It might suck for a while, but caving would be worse. She must just tell him to get fucked, and if he takes the car so be it. He will have irreparably damaged his relationship with her over a stupid vehicle. Well done. That deserves a slow clap.
I had a heart to with her and she isn't willing to fight them. She will move back home. My son doesn't want to go. He's been trying to talk her out of it. There is nothing I can do about her but I will continue to talk to my son. Not that I don't want him to move but more that I want him to be aware and not let them bully him if he does move with her. What else van I do?

Grrrr... I don't know, you can't do anything else. Stupid parents. (Hers, not you Tongue)

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-02-2016, 09:46 AM
She needs to buy a cheap used car and tell her father he can have the other one back.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP