space station and religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2015, 09:04 AM
RE: space station and religion
Well, in their defence, they're Orthodox Christians, and keeping a small shrine-like part on the wall for religious pictures is more than common in Orthodoxy.

In my family, we're pretty much all atheists and we still have that little shrine in the living room because, you know, everyone does it, we get the pictures as gifts all the time, my grandma would complain if we didn't, yadda yadda.

I get it that it's not their house exactly and of course it sucks that they've replaced pictures of important people with them, but it's not that surprising to me, living in Greece and all.

EDIT
I can totally imagine one of those guys' grandma seeing pictures missing there and being all like "WHY DID YOU TAKE JESUS DOWN, DON'T YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR GRANDMA, I'M GONNA DIE AND YOU'LL MISS ME". Or something like that.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2015, 09:29 AM
(12-03-2015 09:04 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I get it that it’s not their house exactly...

Yes, right, not even close. The epitome of our technology and the monkees running it have defaced it with religious icons. The mind reels.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-03-2015, 10:00 AM
(12-03-2015 08:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 08:33 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: desktop-1415293848.jpg]

This made me wonder...I don’t think I ever saw a religious icon on any Star Trek episode or movie.

I could be wrong, but I think they had a reference to Christmas once. Can't remember which episode it was though.

Yeah. Kirk mentions a Christmas party. I think Picard is next to a Christmas tree in the Nexus and there was a Christmas tree in Voyager.. But I think in Star Trek Christmas is more of a cultural thing than a religious thing.
Aside from that Spocks IDIC symbol might be considered a religious symbol but I think this is also more cultural than anything.
13-03-2015, 02:51 AM
(12-03-2015 08:33 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: desktop-1415293848.jpg]

This made me wonder...I don’t think I ever saw a religious icon on any Star Trek episode or movie.
There never was. Lol they are supposed to have moved past religion. That would be another way to prove that God does not exist Deep Space Travel and human colonies in other solar systems.
13-03-2015, 02:55 AM
(12-03-2015 10:00 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 08:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I could be wrong, but I think they had a reference to Christmas once. Can't remember which episode it was though.

Yeah. Kirk mentions a Christmas party. I think Picard is next to a Christmas tree in the Nexus and there was a Christmas tree in Voyager.. But I think in Star Trek Christmas is more of a cultural thing than a religious thing.
Aside from that Spocks IDIC symbol might be considered a religious symbol but I think this is also more cultural than anything.
Exactly is was a more cultural thing. Deep space travel the way they have it in star trek would easily destroy religion.
13-03-2015, 09:46 AM
(12-03-2015 10:00 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 08:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I could be wrong, but I think they had a reference to Christmas once. Can't remember which episode it was though.

I'm going to out myself as a bit of a ST geek here but Thanksgiving was mentioned in the very early episode Charlie X. The cook (they still had a cook at this point, I guess they hadn't worked out replicator technology yet) said that all the synthetic turkey had been mysteriously replaced by real turkeys. Still no religious icons though, that I recall, other than native religions depicted on other worlds they visited. E.g., For The World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky, The Apple, and my favorite covert religion-bashing, atheism-exalting episode, Return of the Archons. Catch phrase: "You must be absorbed."
13-03-2015, 10:55 AM
(13-03-2015 09:46 AM)mordant Wrote:  I'm going to out myself as a bit of a ST geek here...

You're definitely not alone....

In one of the TOS episodes Kirk was officiating at a wedding of two of the crew but they got into a battle and the groom was killed. Afterwards he met the bride in the ship's chapel. It was very out of place.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Balance_...episode%29

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
13-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Wow. What I get out of that photo is ... my hair would look pretty damn cool in zero g. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post