speaking in tongues etc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2010, 12:42 PM
speaking in tongues etc.
Ok, this has probably been discussed before, but since I am new I will ask the question: What's up with the speaking in tongues thing? I live in the bible-beating South and there are a plethora of Pentecostal churches (and similar) where this type of thing takes place. I used to have a friend who's family was Pentecostal. He said he had seen people speaking in tongues and that he believed it was for real (whatever that may be). I think it is just mass hysteria. I notice it only happens to people who go to these particular churches. It would never happen in a Presbyterian or Methodist church etc. That goes for statues that cry blood, and images of the Virgin Mary in toast (or wherever). That stuff is only seen by Catholics.
So, what is up with that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2010, 08:40 PM
RE: speaking in tongues etc.
It is amazing what people can be convinced of. Once convinced of something they can subconciously manifest it into being, either by imagining it or creating it. Speaking in tongues is a way to impress people. It doesn't impress me or you because we see through the crap. But it impresses others, so religious leaders use it because it works. It works because more fundimental believers will accept such displays without question and their enthusiasm will affect some around them, to copy them(ie. monkey see, monkey do) and scare others into silence. Some people need better bullshit detectors.
27-09-2010, 09:05 PM

All I can say is no kidding. I'll find it miraculous when someone starts spouting in a language that's actually interpretable that they didn't know before.
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Ghreugn, tjegewuur bidnevf ogmnrbewg ghr irf jiuerbnw, rhvbd htbe cndsfc ikgb juevsdc chfv wonm hgur dkdb oiebs?
Translation: If you believe this I have some beachfront property in the Sahara desert I can sell to you, at a price you can't resist.
28-09-2010, 07:38 AM
(27-09-2010 09:05 PM)athnostic Wrote:  All I can say is no kidding. I'll find it miraculous when someone starts spouting in a language that's actually interpretable that they didn't know before.

This has happened?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
28-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Kikko---They don't have churches like that where you are? It is really super trippy and very UNbelieveable to people like us. I'll bet if you search youtube.com for "speaking in tongues" you will find some videos.
It kind of reminds me of voodoo ceremonies I have seen where the participants are "mounted" by the orisha they patronize.
28-09-2010, 02:08 PM
No tongue speakers here, maybe some small groups, but not mainstream.
I can't help laughing when I hear someone speaking in tongues... I've watched a few videos with different search words, but I have'nt yet found video about somebody speaking an interpretable language in that way.
It would be cool to hear people from different parts of the world speaking in tongues, I do'nt think finnish or estonian people would speak ''Godish'' in the same way that swedish, german or american people would.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
28-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Speaking in tongues (and interpreting it) is a spiritual gift bestowed on the believer by the Holy Spirit. I have never seen it happen, but at my church, they ask that you not speak in tongues unless there is someone there to interpret. I can ask around to see if any of the body has seen it happen.
28-09-2010, 02:38 PM
(28-09-2010 02:34 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Speaking in tongues (and interpreting it) is a spiritual gift bestowed on the believer by the Holy Spirit. I have never seen it happen, but at my church, they ask that you not speak in tongues unless there is someone there to interpret. I can ask around to see if any of the body has seen it happen.

I would be totally suspicious that the interpreter was part of the "ACT."
28-09-2010, 02:44 PM

(28-09-2010 02:38 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(28-09-2010 02:34 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Speaking in tongues (and interpreting it) is a spiritual gift bestowed on the believer by the Holy Spirit. I have never seen it happen, but at my church, they ask that you not speak in tongues unless there is someone there to interpret. I can ask around to see if any of the body has seen it happen.

I would be totally suspicious that the interpreter was part of the "ACT."

Could very well be, No J. But if they are true Christians I am hesitant to say that they would be willing to offend their God with such a ruse. That would be a serious affront and something I'd never cook up at least. But I can't speak for others.