speaking in tongues etc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2010, 08:44 PM

RE: speaking in tongues etc.
Honestly, I find speaking in tongues to be bullshit, and dishonest, since I am certain that somewhere inside themselves, the person speaking knows full well that they are doing nothing more than deceiving a room full of people.
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2010, 11:19 PM
(28-09-2010 02:44 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Could very well be, No J. But if they are true Christians I am hesitant to say that they would be willing to offend their God with such a ruse. That would be a serious affront and something I'd never cook up at least. But I can't speak for others.

If you are right, that means that there are a huge amount of non-christans posing as christians for glory, profit or anything else they can get. From what I can tell, the imposters far outnumber the true christians. (That is IF you are right.) What would that mean if I am right?
If I am right then everyone who calls him/herself a christian IS a christian, just as long as they think they are, including the liars and con artists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 05:41 AM

(28-09-2010 11:19 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(28-09-2010 02:44 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Could very well be, No J. But if they are true Christians I am hesitant to say that they would be willing to offend their God with such a ruse. That would be a serious affront and something I'd never cook up at least. But I can't speak for others.

If you are right, that means that there are a huge amount of non-christans posing as christians for glory, profit or anything else they can get. From what I can tell, the imposters far outnumber the true christians. (That is IF you are right.) What would that mean if I am right?
If I am right then everyone who calls him/herself a christian IS a christian, just as long as they think they are, including the liars and con artists.

Not quite following you there. If I am right, then the majority of speakers in tongues are legit. I can't comment on the con artists who are not christian to begin with. If you are right, then the majority of speakers in tounges are self-professed christians who are faking the tongues part. I would not consider them christians. Even taking the tongues part out of the equation, whatever the number of Americans who consider themselves christian, I would estimate the the number of actual christians (if you apply the true biblical definition of follower of christ) is much smaller (by how much, I do not know. Half? Quarter? 10%?).
29-09-2010, 08:11 AM
So, what do you think about practioners of voodoo being "mounted"" by an orisha? Same thing, different religion? Remember, voodoo is a mixture of Yoruba religion from West Africa and Catholicism. The behaviour is very similar to that of "speaking in tongues".
Or, is it all just mass hysteria?
And what about statues that cry blood only seen by Catholics? Etc.?
29-09-2010, 08:29 AM

(29-09-2010 08:11 AM)catdance62 Wrote:  So, what do you think about practioners of voodoo being "mounted"" by an orisha? Same thing, different religion? Remember, voodoo is a mixture of Yoruba religion from West Africa and Catholicism. The behaviour is very similar to that of "speaking in tongues".
Or, is it all just mass hysteria?
And what about statues that cry blood only seen by Catholics? Etc.?

I can't speak authoritatively about any of these things. I don't know anything about voodoo. How is it similar to speaking in tounges? If a man had sex with his wife, and another man had sex with a dog, would you call that similar behavior because both men had sex? I don't see your point. Please explain?

RE: crying blood statues. I don't know if that is real or not. It has never been revealed to me personally. I do know that several of these events have turned out to be hoaxes.
30-09-2010, 12:14 AM
(29-09-2010 05:41 AM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  If I am right, then the majority of speakers in tongues are legit.

If I am right, they are all con artists. So far there are many who have been proven to be con artists and none who have been proven to be legitamate.
30-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I meant this: Speaking in tongues is supposedly your body being taken over by a spirit (a holy spirit). Voodoo "mounting" (not a very good term, IMO) is supposedly your body being taken over by a spirit (a holy spirit). The point being it is the same phenomenon. The people act similarly, except voodoo (vodoun, voodun, et al.) participants can often speak normally, albeit in a different "voice" when being filled the the spirit, but not always; sometimes it is an unintelligible stream of vocalizations. Both sets of participants dance, shake, flail around. The difference being when the orisha fully inhabits the acceptor, that person takes on characteristics of the orisha (orishas are sometimes referred to as loa).
I know about this because a good friend years ago belonged to a large Vodun temple in New Orleans.
And what about the mass hysteria angle? monkey see, monkey do?