spiritualism with no God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2016, 07:19 AM
spiritualism with no God
I believe in universal laws such as gravity and cause & effect. I think science is the most important form of perpetual growth and advancement. I also believe that questioning ourselves is proof that we are greater than ourselves, and that that greatness is connected to others and that it is unlimited. I do not consider that as a god, and definitely not the God from the Bible. It just gives us the opportunity to use our will to survive, continue to improve ourselves and enjoy life as we know it. I was raised Catholic and still read the Bible and in awe that people actually believe the fables.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 07:42 AM
RE: spiritualism with no God
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-03-2016, 08:59 AM
(10-03-2016 07:19 AM)spiritualatheist Wrote:  I believe in universal laws such as gravity and cause & effect. I think science is the most important form of perpetual growth and advancement. I also believe that questioning ourselves is proof that we are greater than ourselves, and that that greatness is connected to others and that it is unlimited. I do not consider that as a god, and definitely not the God from the Bible. It just gives us the opportunity to use our will to survive, continue to improve ourselves and enjoy life as we know it. I was raised Catholic and still read the Bible and in awe that people actually believe the fables.

You don't need that antiquated word rooted in superstition. You don't need to call it "spiritual" at all. I have a "WOW" deep sense of appreciation for lots of thing like my mom, my cat, a pretty sunset, ect ect ect. But nature and the universe are not all pretty all the time, and the destructive side like volcanos and black holes, also make me go "WOW" too. The word "spiritual" is old and we don't need to use it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2016, 09:01 AM
welcome
10-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Welcome Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
10-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Hello!
10-03-2016, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 12:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-03-2016 07:19 AM)spiritualatheist Wrote:  I believe in universal laws such as gravity and cause & effect. I think science is the most important form of perpetual growth and advancement. I also believe that questioning ourselves is proof that we are greater than ourselves, and that that greatness is connected to others and that it is unlimited. I do not consider that as a god, and definitely not the God from the Bible. It just gives us the opportunity to use our will to survive, continue to improve ourselves and enjoy life as we know it. I was raised Catholic and still read the Bible and in awe that people actually believe the fables.

Not sure what "spiritual" means for you then, but welcome.
What a coincidence. Just referenced this in a post.
So was Bonhoeffer .... a "spiritual atheist"
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid171915

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Welcome.

[Image: spiritual-healing.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
10-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Good to have you aboard. I too have a spiritual feeling at times, a feeling of awe, about nature and assign it to a spirttual base, though I threw out God a long time ago
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
10-03-2016, 04:58 PM
I would say I am more of a spiritual atheist. I follow a yoga practice and adhere to many of the principles. I think there is a spirituality to the practice, but for me, it is not in a religious sense. It's more a time for me to connect with myself, to kind of just be, to use the poses as a metaphor for life, to use meditation to relax. But I typically light candles, burn incense, and have a peaceful space to do all of this in when I am not at the studio, so I guess that is kind of my own sacred little space. I don't believe in any gods (Hindu or otherwise) but I do enjoy the stories.