24-11-2013, 03:35 PM
RE: A Rock So Heavy
No DLJ, real deal.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 03:39 PM
(24-11-2013 03:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  No DLJ, real deal.

Why? What is the evidence?

The only thing that nearly persuaded me were the PMs I got from Concerned and the improved spelling.

But he went too far with the Lucifer and Hell nonsense.

24-11-2013, 03:43 PM
(24-11-2013 03:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  OK, now I am convinced it's a wind up.

No parent is that inane / insane. Lucifer? Really? What century are we living in?

I call Poe.

'Concerned' is A2's gf.

Good one, bro.

Big Grin

Ha - I kind of thought so, too - at first. But no, she had that odd "Mom" feel to her - but still, pretty insane.

Yea, what's up with that devil stuff - I thought catholics were on the back side of all that devil shit. She sounded more fundi than catholic. Can there be fundi-catholics?

OH shit - Mel Gibson. Blink Forgot about him.

Yep, A2's mom is a devil fearing, fundi-catholic. Hm. They take all kinds, I guess. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Is it wrong that I want to throw my mom at this site now?
[+] 2 users Like DemonicLemon's post
24-11-2013, 04:20 PM
(24-11-2013 02:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  From what I have seen he is smart, well-spoken, empathetic, funny, and generally well liked. He is open to all people regardless of their beliefs or backgrounds and appears to have the potential for a very bright future. If that's seen as a corrupted individual, then something is amiss with that line of reasoning.

[Image: adc5f1f6.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 5 users Like WitchSabrina's post
24-11-2013, 04:47 PM
(24-11-2013 02:34 PM)Concerned Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 02:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Really, you can look in his eyes and say that he is going to hell.

Nice belief system you have there.

And pitiful maternal instincts.

At least Im saving him by keeping him away from the likes of you all of you should be ashamed.

I'm a mom........ In fact, I'm even a grandmother.

I can appreciate that you live in a great deal of fear - for yourself and therefore for your son as well. It's simply the life you lead as a Catholic. Your religion is deeply seeded into your heart, your mind and obviously your day-to-day life.

Also, I'd like to add that parent to parent I would not have liked my own daughters in discussion with people I seriously disagreed with - when they were still little and living under my roof. So - I can get why you're upset. We here hold different views regarding God and religion than yours - so your son here visiting with us - holding opposing views to your own - could upset most Any mother. I remember a die-hard christian getting ahold of my oldest when she was in Middle School and I drove over to that woman's house to give her the *what for* whether that was a proper thing for me to do or not. I did not want someone to sell her religion or implant her with fear behind my back.

And that's what you're feeling right now - like your son sought out more answers, more info and we talked to him behind your back. I get it. Really I do.
Speaking only for myself - I'm sorry if you feel adults discussed religion (or life minus religion) behind your back. That is scary for a parent. But it would be good for you to understand a couple of things: One - no one Here forced him to sign up and gain membership here. Atheists do NOT recruit. Secondly, since he carried himself so well in conversations - I, for one, never thought him a child. That's actually credit to you as his mother. So please accept the compliment.

I won't try to challenge how you feel about your religion. Rather I'd respect that this is something you feel strongly about and have your reasons for doing so. But please don't be too harsh to judge folks here. Just because we view religion and the concept of God differently to you doesn't mean we are bad or evil people. A lack of belief doesn't necessarily equate to being BAD people with no morals, ethics or people who do not value life. I've found the members here intelligent, sensitive and caring people who lead good lives. Religion isn't required to care about how you affect the world. In fact, our lives can be more difficult for there's no absolution. We have no choice but to own our own successes or failures. No one is coming to save us. Keep that in mind when you run into non-believers. And don't pity non-believers either. They/We don't seek nor need your pity. There's nothing wrong or evil in our lives that requires pity or help. We're just decent people going about our lives same as anyone else.

I've typed all this up in the hopes that you can feel better, I hope, that your son has not been exposed to hateful or ugly people; teaching him to be disrespectful or nasty out there in the world. Nothing could be farther than the truth. I, for one, would only wish your son to grow up a morally strong and ethically sound young man who'd affect the world in a seriously positive way. He will be the generation to directly affect my grandchildren's lives........ so of course I'd only want the best.

I'm sure you work hard to be a good mom. Otherwise you'd never typed one word here - you'd not have cared. So I'm glad you care and just want what's best for your son - from your point of view.

I wish you nothing but good.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 8 users Like WitchSabrina's post
24-11-2013, 05:02 PM
(24-11-2013 02:06 PM)Concerned Wrote:  He has turned away from The Lord's grace. There is no way my boy would go against Him if not for your influence. I think Lucifer compelled him to you.

Then it wasn't "free will" now was it, if *Lucifer* "compelled" him.
Perhaps you should actually READ your Catechism, for once.
Sin (especially mortal sin), which would send someone to hell, in your deluded world, requires 3 elements. YOU don't even know what they are.
http://ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/tex...earch&s=SS
Why is it atheists have to teach Catholics about their own cult ? Tongue
TTFN. Perhaps you should go talk to a WISE priest, and get some parenting advice.
All young people go through periods of doubt. Some regain their faith. Some don't. Some of the greatest saints were once doubters. He may never. If he doesn't are you going to forever let that be a huge wall between you ? Do you REALLY want that ? 10 or 20 years from now, you are going to REGRET creating a unfathomable breach which, you both, will never be able to repair.
I suggest you tread carefully. People makes MISTAKES they seriously regret for the rest of their lives. I suggest you may be doing just that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-11-2013, 05:06 PM
(24-11-2013 02:06 PM)Concerned Wrote:  He has turned away from The Lord's grace. There is no way my boy would go against Him if not for your influence. I think Lucifer compelled him to you.

Idiot

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
24-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Concerned,

I'm a father. My wife is a Christian. My mother is a Christian.

The reason I came here was so that I could talk about my disbelief openly, and particularly without hurting my mother. I did want her to feel that she would be going to heaven without me. I did not want her to feel that I would be going to hell and there's nothing she can do.

Perhaps your son is here for similar reasons.

We nonbelievers aren't trying to save or corrupt anyone. We mostly just want to live our lives. We aren't, on the whole, evangelical. We mostly come from religion and have parted way with it for various reasons. We understand religion and we understand where you are coming from. But this forum is not set up to preach any doctrine. It is not set up to convert anyone. We often have Christians come on board to try and preach to us, and sometimes those Christians leave having discovered the arguments they have for God are not as good as they thought. Sometimes people come away from this forum changed in their belief. But for the most part people come to this forum because they already no longer believe.

The sponsor of this forum is Seth Andrews. He's not the kind of nonbeliever you would hear about in the news. He's no Richard Dawkins. He is a genuine nice guy who cares about believers and nonbelievers alike. He runs an internet radio call-in show that you can find on the main Thinking Atheist page. Here is a recent episode that may be relevant to your relationship with your son:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thethinking...ot-out.mp3

If you care about your son's faith, give him some space. Be open with him and let him express his views to you. Express your views to him. Try to keep things calm and on the level. Pray that you will have the fortitude to listen, and the wisdom to respond well. Most importantly: Think about the long term. Think about where your relationship will be at with him ten or twenty years from now. Let this be something you care about, but don't let it be the only thing you care about.

Benjamin.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 15 users Like Hafnof's post
24-11-2013, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2013 07:58 PM by kingschosen.)
As a Christian, I can feel confident in saying this... watching the "Christian" behavior that you're displaying in this thread is the reason why your boy has turned his back. I wouldn't want to be a Christian either if your action were my examples of Christianity.

You compelled him to do this. Not atheists... not Lucifer. You're to blame.

The way you display Christ, as evidence from this thread, is not in a loving, joyous, peaceful, patient, good, kind, faithful, gentle, or self controlling way.

It is in an over-bearing, condescending, hateful, manipulative, and malicious way.

Your representation of Christ has affected him. Other factors have only supported it.

As a Christian, I know that not listening or using empathy and being condescending and judgmental towards those that are not Christians is single handedly the worst way to build a relationship with someone and ultimately have the discussion of faith.

Stop blaming everyone else. Start blaming yourself if you absolutely need something to blame.

Moreover, you need to have faith in God... and know that God has a plan for your son, and God doesn't need your help in enacting that plan.

Love your son. Support your son. Listen to your son. Try and understand your son.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 25 users Like kingschosen's post