[split] An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
(05-05-2014 07:25 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  I am enjoying this very much.

I wanted to add my pitiful 2 cents regarding the awful story of the flood.

Then the Lord decides that all humanity is corrupt and needs to be massacred via flood.

Genesis 8:21
And the Lord smelled a sweet savor; and the Lord said in His heart, “I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake, for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

**Obviously, there are a million things wrong with this verse, but here is one of the many contradictions, that set me on the path to atheism...

Because god already knows the future, hence Revelations, this means that he knew before he caused the flood, that he would decide afterwards, man was just plain evil, and he wouldn't smite (a pathetically kind word for genocide), every living thing again.

He went ahead and did it anyway?? Then said "oops, my bad" here's a rainbow to make up for it?! Shocking

How the hell did I ever believe this shit? Huh

You think it strange that God would create a world that He knew beforehand would become corrupt.

God can do that. He is God you know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 04:59 PM
An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(01-06-2014 04:44 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 07:25 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  I am enjoying this very much.

I wanted to add my pitiful 2 cents regarding the awful story of the flood.

Then the Lord decides that all humanity is corrupt and needs to be massacred via flood.

Genesis 8:21
And the Lord smelled a sweet savor; and the Lord said in His heart, “I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake, for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

**Obviously, there are a million things wrong with this verse, but here is one of the many contradictions, that set me on the path to atheism...

Because god already knows the future, hence Revelations, this means that he knew before he caused the flood, that he would decide afterwards, man was just plain evil, and he wouldn't smite (a pathetically kind word for genocide), every living thing again.

He went ahead and did it anyway?? Then said "oops, my bad" here's a rainbow to make up for it?! Shocking

How the hell did I ever believe this shit? Huh

You think it strange that God would create a world that He knew beforehand would become corrupt.

It's strange that a supposedly perfect, omniscient being would do this, and then punish his creation for their imperfection, having already allegedly wiped them out with a flood once already.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
02-06-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(01-06-2014 04:59 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 04:44 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You think it strange that God would create a world that He knew beforehand would become corrupt.

It's strange that a supposedly perfect, omniscient being would do this, and then punish his creation for their imperfection, having already allegedly wiped them out with a flood once already.

why is this strange to you?
02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
(02-06-2014 03:44 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 04:59 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  It's strange that a supposedly perfect, omniscient being would do this, and then punish his creation for their imperfection, having already allegedly wiped them out with a flood once already.

Because omniscient omnibenevolent.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
02-06-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: [split] An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(01-06-2014 04:59 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  It's strange that a supposedly perfect, omniscient being would do this, and then punish his creation for their imperfection, having already allegedly wiped them out with a flood once already.

It's astonishingly sad that you don't see how horrific a god such as this is. Middle of the road Christians sort of own up to it, but not you. It demonstrates one thing. That you are so deluded and brainwashed into accepting the fire and brimstone stories as true that you and your pathetic church justify them in every way you can. You are so convinced this stuff is real that you can't distinguish right from wrong anymore much less what is reality. You and other religious people have invented a "truth" that you all proclaim to be god but find the only way to keep it going is to make excuses and pile on more dogma to make it fit some sort of twisted morality.

No. Your god story is immoral. His is a bully. He is vengeful. He is a tyrant. He is petulant. He pouts and destroys at will. The story of your god is one that kills over two million people in the bible and you find morality in this demented tale.

I have no desire to debate this with you. I just feel terribly sad that you are so blind you can't see past the ink in the bible. So I'll make this comment and leave this thread to others. I've wasted enough of my time looking at your drivel and have other things to do.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-06-2014, 05:28 PM

Why isn't that strange to you Huh .
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
02-06-2014, 05:53 PM
(02-06-2014 04:28 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 03:44 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  why is this strange to you?

Because omniscient omnibenevolent.

what about them?
02-06-2014, 05:55 PM
(02-06-2014 04:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 03:44 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  why is this strange to you?

It's astonishingly sad that you don't see how horrific a god such as this is. Middle of the road Christians sort of own up to it, but not you. It demonstrates one thing. That you are so deluded and brainwashed into accepting the fire and brimstone stories as true that you and your pathetic church justify them in every way you can. You are so convinced this stuff is real that you can't distinguish right from wrong anymore much less what is reality. You and other religious people have invented a "truth" that you all proclaim to be god but find the only way to keep it going is to make excuses and pile on more dogma to make it fit some sort of twisted morality.

No. Your god story is immoral. His is a bully. He is vengeful. He is a tyrant. He is petulant. He pouts and destroys at will. The story of your god is one that kills over two million people in the bible and you find morality in this demented tale.

I have no desire to debate this with you. I just feel terribly sad that you are so blind you can't see past the ink in the bible. So I'll make this comment and leave this thread to others. I've wasted enough of my time looking at your drivel and have other things to do.

Why is God immoral?

What do you mean by immoral anyway?
02-06-2014, 06:08 PM
(02-06-2014 05:55 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 04:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It's astonishingly sad that you don't see how horrific a god such as this is. Middle of the road Christians sort of own up to it, but not you. It demonstrates one thing. That you are so deluded and brainwashed into accepting the fire and brimstone stories as true that you and your pathetic church justify them in every way you can. You are so convinced this stuff is real that you can't distinguish right from wrong anymore much less what is reality. You and other religious people have invented a "truth" that you all proclaim to be god but find the only way to keep it going is to make excuses and pile on more dogma to make it fit some sort of twisted morality.

Why is God immoral?

An omniscient omnibenevolent creator would not have been able to make mistakes such as the one wiped out by the flood, nor would he be able to cause nor stand idly by the suffering leading up to the flood myth, then commit genocide.

Omniscient + Omnibenevolent mutually exclude it.

[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
02-06-2014, 06:12 PM
(02-06-2014 06:08 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 05:55 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why is God immoral?

An omniscient omnibenevolent creator would not have been able to make mistakes such as the one wiped out by the flood, nor would he be able to cause nor stand idly by the suffering leading up to the flood myth, then commit genocide.

Omniscient + Omnibenevolent mutually exclude it.

nothing you said addresses the post you quoted from me. I asked in the post you quoted: why is God immoral and what is immoral anyway?