[split] Another "atheism definition" thread split from "An atheist's critique..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2016, 06:03 AM
RE: [split] Another "atheism definition" thread split from "An atheist's critique..."
(10-06-2016 06:00 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 05:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I have no "purpose" to cross. Your bullshit remains bullshit.

So be it. I have nothing to lose either way.

Exactly. You got nothing. The dude who can't even spell Max Planck's name right (repeatedly) ... we're supposed to take seriously.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2016, 06:19 AM
RE: [split] Another "atheism definition" thread split from "An atheist's critique..."
(10-06-2016 06:03 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 06:00 AM)carusmm Wrote:  So be it. I have nothing to lose either way.

Exactly. You got nothing. The dude who can't even spell Max Planck's name right (repeatedly) ... we're supposed to take seriously.

You must be mistaking me for someone else which is understandable as this site should be exclusive to atheists.
10-06-2016, 06:23 AM
(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  Do I need to give the dictionary definition of feminism? (you know what I am talking about)

Theists tend to use the wrong definitions as a matter of course. It's best to start out with everyone on the same page.

Quote:atheism [ey-thee-iz-uh m] noun

1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

dictionary

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  Sounds like a religion to me.!

That's the ignorance talking. Drinking Beverage

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  You are actually all over the place in this little statement.

sigh. I'll try to use smaller words.

Quote:My atheism is in response to the various gods that have been postulated or presented for worship.
I do not believe in any of the gods that are being worshipped now, or in the past.

Quote:It's not an argument per se, more a statement.
I am stating my belief/position. I am not (yet) arguing for that position.

Quote:Concepts of deities have been presented. I remain unconvinced.
I am restating earlier statement.

Quote:Every theist, writer or not, has their own personal interpretation of a god.
If you talk to an individual believer, no matter what faith, they all have their own personal interpretation of their god.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  Are you rebelling against the religions that demand you pray, or the gods that have never asked anything from you?

I am arguing against the religions and the deities that they have presented to me. No gods exist, so there is nothing to hate or rebel against.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  I agree that religion is bad... it is a human construct usually meant to control populations.

How broadminded of you.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  But even if we prove that every religion is corrupt, we haven't even started the conversation about a designer.

FFS. Religions, by default definition, involve a divine being that created life/universe/etc. By discussing religions you are discussing a "designer".

On a side note:
You do not get to redefine the accepted definitions of words to suit your arguments.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  That is not entirely true... most actual theists (those not affiliated with religion) merely accept the (what we consider) likelihood of a creator.

Yay. You have correctly defined a theist. :golfclap

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  In general we do not attribute any human qualities to it (other than, in most cases, intelligence)...

You are completely wrong. If you postulate a creative deity that cares about humans, that is assigning human qualities.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  Certainly, everyone is free to draw his/her own conclusion! That is the beauty of the human intellect! We can evaluate evidence without being programmed by it.

Faith programs. Evidence is simply information that we interpret.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  I think you misunderstood my question.

No, I understood it quite well.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  what I am asking is IF we ALL come to a consensus about the ACTUAL beginning (keeping in mind that many believe the big bang was NOT the actual beginning), can we just agree to call that god?

No. For Fucks Sake, NO. A god is defined as an intelligent, immortal being. A sentient consciousness. If we determine that the entirety of the universe is here due to natural forces, then calling those natural forces "god" would violate the definitions of the words.

As an example: We know what causes thunderstorms and weather patterns. Out knowledge is such that we can predict their occurrence with moderate accuracy. Since we are in consensus about this, we should name the cause of thunderstorms. Would you prefer Zeus or Thor?

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  Incorrect on both accounts. I asked a rhetorical question about Atheism was (and, by the way, you answered it)...

Theists tend to mis-define atheism on a regular basis. It's better to start things off on the right track.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  The simple fact is, there are very few examples of any group of Atheists agreeing with any other gourp of Atheists (which is why I consider it a religion with denominations, just like Christians)...

The only thing that atheists agree on is a lack of belief in god.

Please explain how that applies to a religion.

Quote:religion [ri-lij-uh n] noun

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience

7. Archaic. religious rites

8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion

dictionary

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  I have been trying for 20 years to get an Atheists to discuss this stuff with me one on one... They generally won't, for whatever reason.

Because you spout off fallacies like "atheism is a religion", it tends to irritate people.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  If I have misrepresented Atheism here... PLEASE correct me! I made one single post and have had to say AT LEAST 4 times "I didn't say that"... who is responsible for the straw men here? If your perspective is different than what I have represented (or more importantly, responded to), just tell me where I go it wrong!

You are misrepresenting atheism.

Show me where I committed a strawman.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  You are waxing semantic here. What if we just call first cause "god"? Or what if we just dispose of "god" all together and focus on first cause? Do you think the more scientific minded would be more willing to look into if we didn't use the word "god"? I don't care about the word, personally. I am just asking questions. I want to know about the origin.
Ummm... it is semantic!

Do you know what semantics means? You insist on using incorrect definitions for words and making fallacious statements. Pick up a dictionary, FFS.

(09-06-2016 11:37 PM)aserwin Wrote:  If you make an argument like.... These are logical absurdities and you are taking liberties with the word... so yes... it is semantic.
Nicely done. You made a fallacious argument and debunked it. :golfclap.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-06-2016, 06:28 AM
(10-06-2016 06:19 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 06:03 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. You got nothing. The dude who can't even spell Max Planck's name right (repeatedly) ... we're supposed to take seriously.

You must be mistaking me for someone else which is understandable as this site should be exclusive to atheists.

Nope. It has nothing to do with theism or atheism. You're just full of shit. You don't answer questions posed to you. You mistake yourself for someone who knows anything.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-06-2016, 07:05 AM
(10-06-2016 06:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 06:19 AM)carusmm Wrote:  You must be mistaking me for someone else which is understandable as this site should be exclusive to atheists.

Nope. It has nothing to do with theism or atheism. You're just full of shit. You don't answer questions posed to you. You mistake yourself for someone who knows anything.

Whoever you are mistaking me for has surely confused you.
10-06-2016, 07:17 AM
(10-06-2016 02:55 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  And you continue with your sleazy ad hominem. That is up to you but will gain nothing.

Reality exists.

No, a circle is 360° but that is by definition. It is a human creation.

Immigrant? Do you mean emergent?

More ad hominem. You are failing here.

Yes, reality exists. But whose reality? - That is the question. You cannot flog off these people with logic. You must be prepared to get dirty.

The only reality. Your silly word games are tedious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-06-2016, 07:21 AM
(10-06-2016 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:55 AM)carusmm Wrote:  Yes, reality exists. But whose reality? - That is the question. You cannot flog off these people with logic. You must be prepared to get dirty.

The only reality. Your silly word games are tedious.

Are you God?
10-06-2016, 07:55 AM
(10-06-2016 07:21 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  The only reality. Your silly word games are tedious.

Are you God?
Is Chas god? Unsure Consider

Yes

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-06-2016, 07:58 AM
(10-06-2016 07:55 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 07:21 AM)carusmm Wrote:  Are you God?
Is Chas god? Unsure Consider

Yes

He must be if he thinks his is the only reality.
10-06-2016, 08:17 AM
"I think, therefore I am."

One really cannot trust a rationalist as they mistake themselves for God too many times.