[split] Another "atheism definition" thread split from "An atheist's critique..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2016, 08:19 AM
RE: [split] Another "atheism definition" thread split from "An atheist's critique..."
(10-06-2016 07:58 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 07:55 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Is Chas god? Unsure Consider

Yes

He must be if he thinks his is the only reality.

There is only one reality. You are confabulating reality and perception of reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
RE: [split] Another "atheism definition" thread split from "An atheist's critique..."
(10-06-2016 08:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 07:58 AM)carusmm Wrote:  He must be if he thinks his is the only reality.

There is only one reality. You are confabulating reality and perception of reality.

The senses are all that we perceive by. You mistake yourself for God; and an ape is an ape, inside and out.
Find all posts by this user
10-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Oh man I didn't even see this post.
(09-06-2016 10:02 PM)aserwin Wrote:  
Quote:Atheism is a disbelief in any God. No more, no less. It really isn't complicated nor an argument. It's a lack of belief.

That just isn't the truth. That may be your personal world view... just as there are probably certain feminist that truly believe in equality for the sexes... but, overall this just isn't a true statement.
There is a difference between the definition of atheism and the behavior of atheists that you come across. The definition of atheism is exactly what you are stubbornly refusing to accept. Hi, I'm an atheist. I do not hold a belief that a god exists. You don't need to know a single other thing about me to know that I am an atheist.

Quote:In the old days, classic Atheists held this view, although not as direct (I urge you to read Peter Hume or Spinozza) - Atheism was all about "yeah but there is so much more out there than your god"... today, the New Atheism movement has desecrated that expansive world view with "If I can't see it, it doesn't exist! SCIENCE IS YOUR GOD and PROVE IT!!!"... No more curiosity, no more imagination, no more discussion... it is all just "You are wrong!" or "Bro, do you even science?"...
What you are saying is, "I have run into and/or seen many atheists who behave like this, therefor this behavior defines atheism." You might realize how poor that statement is if you replace the word atheism/atheists with "blacks" or "women".

Quote:If it were a negative thing, just a lack of belief, then why even use the title? Why have groups to sit around and talk about it? Why organize Reason Rallies? I don't play golf, but I am not aware of any group that sits around talking about not playing golf.
You are right, the title shouldn't exist. But when you live in a world where assuming the existence of a god is more common than not, and those that assume--form groups that often try to influence the way we live (change laws, include their rituals in community activities, indoctrinate children, etc.) Having a word that describes your viewpoint on their assumption, which is the basis of many of their actions, is useful, is it not?

Quote:Also, what the hell does belief have to do with anything anyway?
Isn't belief akin to religion? So if you believe there is no god (yes, I know you didn't say that, and I realize there is a difference between not believing in god and believing that there is no god - just asking a question), isn't that a religion?
No it isn't a religion. Even "strong atheism" (asserting there is no god) is not a religion. Show me a (legitimate) definition of religion where you think atheism fits in, and I'll tell you why you are mistaken.

Quote:Welcome to reality. Atheists IS a religion.
You are obviously doing your best to upset people saying things like this. You realize this is up there with presuppositionalists that spout, "Atheists DO believe in God, they just don't say it out loud. They are angry. How can you be angry with something you don't believe exists? Exactly, they know God."

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 5 users Like Adrianime's post
10-06-2016, 09:50 AM
(10-06-2016 08:24 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 08:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is only one reality. You are confabulating reality and perception of reality.

The senses are all that we perceive by. You mistake yourself for God; and an ape is an ape, inside and out.

Well fuck, looks like we got another Deepak Chopra wannabe on our hands; and a solipsist to boot. Somebody wheeling out their Intro to Philosophy guns after staying at a Holiday Inn Express. Bring the smelling salts, I may just pass out from anticipation... Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-06-2016, 09:58 AM
(10-06-2016 08:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is only one reality. You are confabulating reality and perception of reality.

There are a couple gods here. Chas isn't one of them.

You however like absolute terms of discussion.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-06-2016, 10:18 AM
(10-06-2016 09:58 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 08:24 AM)carusmm Wrote:  The senses are all that we perceive by. You mistake yourself for God; and an ape is an ape, inside and out.
There are a couple gods here. Chas isn't one of them.

You however like absolute terms of discussion.

The last sentence. What does that mean?
10-06-2016, 10:20 AM
(10-06-2016 09:50 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 08:24 AM)carusmm Wrote:  The senses are all that we perceive by. You mistake yourself for God; and an ape is an ape, inside and out.

Well fuck, looks like we got another Deepak Chopra wannabe on our hands; and a solipsist to boot. Somebody wheeling out their Intro to Philosophy guns after staying at a Holiday Inn Express. Bring the smelling salts, I may just pass out from anticipation... Rolleyes

Quite obviously, I am not explaining myself correctly.
10-06-2016, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 12:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)

The senses are not at "all that we perceive by". There are many many technological devices that record and amplify and filter what the senses later come to recognize as patterns.
You're a pretty ignorant poet. The question was about reality, not about the perception of it. Can you senses perceive virtual particles ?
You seem to be unable to track what's going on here.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-06-2016, 12:11 PM

You don't seem to recognize that we communicate with each other and confirm our sensory data. It's called science.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-06-2016, 12:16 PM
(10-06-2016 09:58 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There are a couple gods here. Chas isn't one of them.

Angry

Weeping

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post