[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 02:14 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(02-10-2015 08:55 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  [quote='onlinebiker' pid='868744' dateline='1443785571']

I guess you missed my memo earlier. There are plenty of gun debate threads, i believe most are in the politics section.

Dodgy

Yup I did read the first few pages, then missed yours... My appologies...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 02:16 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(02-10-2015 02:08 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 01:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So the sheriff in Oregon where the latest shooting took place, wrote a letter to the vp saying he uphold any new gun control laws after the Newtowin thing?

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/10/...ol-newtown

I wonder if he's changed his mind now?
When speaking about this to my mom yesterday. She said Oregon is full of gun-lovers and maybe, just maybe, something like this could actually prompt some change.

Funny you'd mention that. I sometimes feel like surrounded by guns...

People next door have a few...

People across the street have more....

The people up the street were selling gun related stuff in their garage sale -- I don't know if they actually sell guns tho -- there must be some sort of law against that right?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-10-2015, 02:17 PM
(02-10-2015 02:14 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:55 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  [quote='onlinebiker' pid='868744' dateline='1443785571']

I guess you missed my memo earlier. There are plenty of gun debate threads, i believe most are in the politics section.

Dodgy

Yup I did read the first few pages, then missed yours... My appologies...

Don't worry about it..this thread is split and now fine to discuss it.

02-10-2015, 02:18 PM
(02-10-2015 02:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No law on the books, nor any proposed law, other than an outright ban on all guns could stop things like this.

Ban weapons with large magazines, ban automatic weapons? I know that hunters like them but... is hunting sufficient justification to keep them? Sounds extreme, but... might be worth considering extreme measures.

Yes, the ban will not prevent a determined criminal from obtaining such things, but it might prevent means and opportunity from being available to a large number of less determined crack-pots who would be forced to settle for something less spectacular as a means of expressing their dissatisfaction...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-10-2015, 02:20 PM
(02-10-2015 02:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know if they actually sell guns tho -- there must be some sort of law against that right?

Depends on where you live. Around here I could legally sell a gun I own to another private individual that is a resident of my state without any kind of paper work or background checks as long I I had no reason to believe they weren't allowed to own one or didn't plan on using it illegally.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
02-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Hunters normally use revolvers, bolt action rifles, lever action rifles and shotguns. Automatic weapons are already illegal. This shooter probably used semi-auto handguns that are standard capacity 10-15 bullets. Oregon has background checks on ALL sales, including private sales. Since he is over 21 and no criminal record, he is legal to buy.

I don't have a solution. The only thing I can suggest, since guns are here to stay, is buy your own gun, get a concealed pistol license (if you live in a state that issues them) and protect yourself. If these shooters see a few mass shooters get taken out and their plans halted, this crap will most likely stop. Until then, they'll keep targeting "gun free zones."
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
02-10-2015, 02:26 PM
(02-10-2015 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 02:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No law on the books, nor any proposed law, other than an outright ban on all guns could stop things like this.

Ban weapons with large magazines, ban automatic weapons? I know that hunters like them but... is hunting sufficient justification to keep them? Sounds extreme, but... might be worth considering extreme measures.

Yes, the ban will not prevent a determined criminal from obtaining such things, but it might prevent means and opportunity from being available to a large number of less determined crack-pots who would be forced to settle for something less spectacular as a means of expressing their dissatisfaction...

Define automatic weapon. I ask because private ownership real automatic weapons has been heavily regulated since 1934. Since that time there has only been one murder conviction of an individual (an Ohio police officer) for using a legally owned automatic weapon to to commit the murder. The regulations that control private ownership of automatic weapons seem to be working just fine.

02-10-2015, 02:27 PM
(02-10-2015 02:25 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Hunters normally use revolvers, bolt action rifles, lever action rifles and shotguns. Automatic weapons are already illegal. This shooter probably used semi-auto handguns that are standard capacity 10-15 bullets. Oregon has background checks on ALL sales, including private sales. Since he is over 21 and no criminal record, he is legal to buy.

I don't have a solution. The only thing I can suggest, since guns are here to stay, is buy your own gun, get a concealed pistol license (if you live in a state that issues them) and protect yourself. If these shooters see a few mass shooters get taken out and their plans halted, this crap will most likely stop. Until then, they'll keep targeting "gun free zones."

Automatic weapons are not illegal in many states.

02-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Banning stuff will NOT solve the problem. In fact it's liable to make matters worse.

Everyone seems to think that pistols or rifles with high capacity magazines are going to get more people killed --- and that's just bullshit. That only works for Rambo and other movie types.

It's a historical FACT that spraying more ammo does not get more people killed -- it just wastes ammo.

Go look up the kill ratios in every war fought with firearms -- as individual soldier ammo consumption increased - kills went down.

You know who I'd be the most frightened of?

An individual with a repeating shotgun - pump or autoloader - who knows how to use it.

Loaded with buckshot - at close range (which any of these shootings is ) would be far more deadly and more devestating -- ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING that none of the potential targets (that's you and me) are wearing body armor. With a couple of bandoleers or a shell vest - a single shooter could easily kill hundreds of people in a matter of a couple minutes....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-10-2015, 02:28 PM
(02-10-2015 02:20 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 02:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know if they actually sell guns tho -- there must be some sort of law against that right?

Depends on where you live. Around here I could legally sell a gun I own to another private individual that is a resident of my state without any kind of paper work or background checks as long I I had no reason to believe they weren't allowed to own one or didn't plan on using it illegally.

It seems that it's the same here. Gun dealers have more rules but it seems you could buy a gun at a yard sale.

That is a bit unsettling.