[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 02:43 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(02-10-2015 02:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  You always hear the example of Australia being brought up in these debates. What is different about their gun laws, which seem to be effective, and what prevents them being introduced into the US?

Probably the biggest difference is the sheer number of guns. Our private ownership of guns rivals their military's - per capita.

There's approximately 88 guns per 100 people in the USA.

No other country has even come close.

If they outlawed the private ownership of guns tomorrow in the USA - you'd better start building lots of prisons. About a 1/4 of all people would become criminals....

Perhaps we can work a deal out with Australia -- they were after all - a penal colony......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-10-2015, 02:45 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
As a certified nutbag, lemme tell ya - if I wanna go kill people, people are gonna get kilt. Undecided

As for more regulation, about the only thing it would do is perhaps make some people feel better. Our problem is not Australia's problem, nor the UK's; it's our whole culture that is fucked up on this issue. The only kind of solution I can see is to stop publicizing this shit. Undecided

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-10-2015, 02:45 PM
(02-10-2015 02:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 02:34 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You don’t need gun control - you need people control.

Yes I agree actually with this. We need to improve our mental health, education and a host of other things.
It'd be a great start....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-10-2015, 02:47 PM
(02-10-2015 02:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  As a certified nutbag, lemme tell ya - if I wanna go kill people, people are gonna get kilt. Undecided

As for more regulation, about the only thing it would do is perhaps make some people feel better. Our problem is not Australia's problem, nor the UK's; it's our whole culture that is fucked up on this issue. The only kind of solution I can see is to stop publicizing this shit. Undecided

EXACTLY!!! You did hear the County sheriff there in Oregon refused to give the punk's name - because he didn't want to reward the dirtbag for bad behavior???

I could kiss the guy...

02-10-2015, 02:49 PM
(02-10-2015 02:40 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 02:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  What I mean is something that makes it easy to squeeze off a lot of bullets in a short space of time. Just seems... that without that ability a large class of mass-shooters might be a lot less lethal.

Disclaimer: I'm not knowledgeable about guns.

You always hear the example of Australia being brought up in these debates. What is different about their gun laws, which seem to be effective, and what prevents them being introduced into the US?
Australia does not share borders with any other countries that can smuggle them in. Their population is small. Their guns were never protected by a Constitution.

Uhh.. you are aware that it's possible to bring stuff in on a deserted beach, aren't ya??? Ya think just MAYBE they have a mile or two of coastline that's a bit off the beaten track???

02-10-2015, 02:49 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting. inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(02-10-2015 02:34 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 02:27 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Automatic weapons are not illegal in many states.

Correct technically. But they're very hard to come by

Expensive but not hard to come by

Quote:are very difficult to get approved

Define difficult. Fill out some forms, pay the tax, pass an FBI background check which could take a few months depending on the back log, the sherrif signs a form (that part is automatic around here if you pass the FBI checks) and you get your gun. I takes time but I wouldn't call it very difficult.

Quote:they are illegal to produce now.

No they are not. Although if you want to legally own an automatic weapon manufactured after 1986 you are going to need a Class III FFL. Getting one of those isn't much different than above though.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
02-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Also -- most people don't realize this -- but if you want to build a repeating gun -- that is -- on that shoots more than one shot --- the SIMPLEST by far - is a submachine gun.

A submachine gun is a pistol or rifle that fires a pistol cartridge fully automatic - that is - it fires multiple rounds as long as the trigger is depressed.

Reason -- it has less moving parts than any other repeating type arm. Simpler than revolvers, pumps, lever actions or even bolt actions.

So -- if criminals want to tool up and make their own -- it's likely to be something very similar to a MAC10, Sten, or Bren type sub-gun..

02-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Quote:Broadhead Armory M78 .308 Win caliber rifle. Valmet 78 with a drop-in auto sear. Comes with Bipod and one 20 round magazine. The time has comes for you to join up with the Wolverines and help Jed and Matt fight off the Red...
From your link, PP. Jesus Christ. This thing is $18K yet the advert is like something off a kid's plastic toy. If anyone is gonna buy it based off that blurb they should be in the looney bin already IMO.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-10-2015, 02:56 PM
(02-10-2015 02:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Also -- most people don't realize this -- but if you want to build a repeating gun -- that is -- on that shoots more than one shot --- the SIMPLEST by far - is a submachine gun.

I know in the age of google expertise is just a few clicks away, but... since a lot of people don't realise this, perhaps that includes potential mass-shooters?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-10-2015, 03:06 PM
(02-10-2015 02:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 02:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Also -- most people don't realize this -- but if you want to build a repeating gun -- that is -- on that shoots more than one shot --- the SIMPLEST by far - is a submachine gun.

I know in the age of google expertise is just a few clicks away, but... since a lot of people don't realise this, perhaps that includes potential mass-shooters?
I wouldn't worry -- it's not exactly a secret to anyone who knows guns or has extensive machine shop experience.

The types that would shoot up a school are far too stupid, lazy and inexperienced to actually build something..