[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 10:55 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(02-10-2015 10:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 09:48 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Pew Reaserch Center:

Most Americans Support sensible restrictions, the NRA has got our cowardly politicians by their short and curlies! Time to use the power of our vote on this issue.

85% Americans support background checks

79% Americans support mental health restrictions

70% Americans support federal tracking database

Tracking what? Consider

Federal law bars the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from keeping track of guns. The only time the government can track the history of a gun, including its first buyer and seller, is after it's used in a crime. And though President Barack Obama and numerous Democratic lawmakers have called for new limits on what kinds of guns should be available to the public and urged stronger background checks in gun sales, there is no effort afoot to change the way the government keeps track – or doesn't – of where the country's guns are.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ted Tucker's post
02-10-2015, 11:01 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(02-10-2015 10:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 09:48 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Pew Reaserch Center:

Most Americans Support sensible restrictions, the NRA has got our cowardly politicians by their short and curlies! Time to use the power of our vote on this issue.

85% Americans support background checks

79% Americans support mental health restrictions

70% Americans support federal tracking database

Tracking what? Consider

I assume he is talking about a firearms registry that would include the name and address of the owner of every legally held gun in the country.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
02-10-2015, 11:16 PM
(02-10-2015 10:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 10:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are many interesting conversations that don't require the participation of dipshits like BlowJob.

Just like the SD dipshittiness spurred interesting and entertaining posts, so does BJ. So, I'm going to have to disagree.

If this forum was filled with atheist and theists like my brother and me and was void of the likes of BJ, pops, or Alla, it would become fairly boring and uninteresting.

They have their merit.

Only for a short while - they wear out pretty quickly.
Besides, there is a never-ending supply of them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2015, 11:39 PM
(02-10-2015 03:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 02:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  I know in the age of google expertise is just a few clicks away, but... since a lot of people don't realise this, perhaps that includes potential mass-shooters?
I wouldn't worry -- it's not exactly a secret to anyone who knows guns or has extensive machine shop experience.

The types that would shoot up a school are far too stupid, lazy and inexperienced to actually build something..

... And therefore, it seems likely that it would reduce mass-shootings if those types were prevented from getting their hands on such weapons ready-made?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-10-2015, 11:46 PM
(02-10-2015 11:01 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 10:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Tracking what? Consider

I assume he is talking about a firearms registry that would include the name and address of the owner of every legally held gun in the country.

I'm surprised you guys don't have such a database already? Is there any reason not to?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-10-2015, 12:00 AM
(02-10-2015 10:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  DLJ, sorry... probably going to have to split this split... Haha. I'm derailing it pretty badly.

It's always about you. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-10-2015, 12:18 AM
I've only just noticed this.

(02-10-2015 04:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
I can't think of anyone here whose dick/shit discernment I trust more than Stark, Moms, and the Jew.

Thanks for your support.

And it's Dirty Lying Jew, to you, if you don't mind. Thanks. Angry

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-10-2015, 12:24 AM
(03-10-2015 12:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And it's Dirty Lying Jew, to you, if you don't mind. Thanks. Angry

Don't make me spank you. Angry

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-10-2015, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 01:02 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Damn DLJ gets all the PERKS

damn phone hates me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-10-2015, 05:06 AM
(02-10-2015 10:50 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 09:37 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A shotgun is a great home-defense weapon -- short range, low penetrating power, deadly inside its range, almost useless outside it. And if you happen to run out of ammo before the problem is solved (unlikely with a shotgun), you can turn it around and beat the fuck out of the problem.

Depending on what kind of loads you are talking about a shotgun might penetrate more than you think. 00 buckshot used to be the gold standard for a self defense shotgun. Even low recoil 00 buck will easily penetrate 8 sheets. I say used to be the gold standard because these days many think Federal LE132-1B which is a low recoil #1 buckshot load penetrates even better than 00. Some swear by birdshot as a self defense shotgun load. Box O' Truth says it won't over penetrate. It also says It doesn't penetrate enough to be an effective fight stopper.

The bottom line is that if you don't live by yourself in the middle of nowhere your neighbors might be better off if you were using a 9mm loaded with Glazer Blues. Might be...

A few years back - I got permission from the owner of a house that was going to be demolished to do some testing with a twelve gauge....

I used a variety of shells and did "through penetration" testing to see what a house (in this case a double wide pre-fab) would stop.

7 and 8 shot were almost completely stopped by 1 outside wall, and were stopped completely by one interior wall plus one outside wall.

4 and 6 shot would go through two interior plus one outside wall.

Any grade of buck shot would go through (mostly) two exterior plus two interior walls (some pellets did stop).

My conclusion -- for in home defense - 7 or 8 shot is as acceptable as a safety slug out of a pistol -- but delivers far more energy to the intended target.

At close range (under 20 feet) 8 shot will be nearly as, or possibly even more effective than buckshot - as it's dispersal pattern will be slightly wider - thus inflicting a wider wound channel.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post