[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 08:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 07:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  That's not what it says on the cover!

You're all supposed to be into sharing and openness and other such cutesy stuff.

Or is that just Hollywood making things up again?

Ohmy
I guess it depends on the subject....

Our guns we keep hidden -- but at least some of us (not naming names) can't seem to walk about without our wedding tackle hanging out....

Big Grin

Sometimes when leaving Vermont to head back to Canada I store my Vector in the local police station's armory near where I drill. Several of the police are in my unit and are even more pro 2nd than me, if that's possible. I'm not worried.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 09:30 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(02-10-2015 06:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Idk, I think those types should be restricted to military.

And they are restricted to military and law enforcement.

That's not my read. Civilians can own and transfer machine guns with the approval of the ATF is my read.

I remember Piers Morgan going to a range and firing a .50 caliber machine gun. The owner said he bought it as an investment and rarely fires it because he can't afford the ammo.

#sigh
03-10-2015, 09:39 AM
(03-10-2015 09:30 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  And they are restricted to military and law enforcement.

That's not my read. Civilians can own and transfer machine guns with the approval of the ATF is my read.

I remember Piers Morgan going to a range and firing a .50 caliber machine gun. The owner said he bought it as an investment and rarely fires it because he can't afford the ammo.

That's the main perk of staying in the military after I moved to Canada, despite the inconvenience of frequent border crossings.. If I leave, I don't imagine I'd ever get another chance to fire a Mk 19. Couldn't afford to fire a belt fed 40mm grenade launcher machine gun even if I did have one.

That said, I have a bump fire stock for my M4, which essentially makes it a legal automatic weapon, even if I don't usually use it. I like options Tongue

'Murican Canadian
03-10-2015, 09:44 AM
(02-10-2015 11:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 11:01 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I assume he is talking about a firearms registry that would include the name and address of the owner of every legally held gun in the country.

I'm surprised you guys don't have such a database already? Is there any reason not to?

Maryland has such a database for handguns (long guns are not tracked). The ATF can't do it but individual States can.

#sigh
03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Canada has had a database for quite a while. Only about 5% of the guns used in crimes actually show up on it, though. Whether one supports the theory of the idea or not, it ends up just being a waste of resources that would be better utilized elsewhere.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-10-2015, 09:58 AM
(01-10-2015 04:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 04:49 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I really hope you don't poison this thread like you do to so many others.

I hope I am not the only one on this forum critical of Muffs right now.

He's a dick but...I like him. He makes me laugh. So fuck off!
03-10-2015, 10:22 AM
(02-10-2015 10:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No I think he is (sorry Heywood), but I also find some pretty good intentional humor in his posts; moreover, he provides life to the forum and conversations instead of continued circle jerking like SD or other similar forums.

There's a multiplicity of folks here with whom I've had vigorous discussions without having to wade through what is almost certainly deliberate obtuseness. I don't have to agree with someone in order like them -- but I do have to respect them.
03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
(03-10-2015 09:58 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 04:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I hope I am not the only one on this forum critical of Muffs right now.

He's a dick but...I like him. He makes me laugh. So fuck off!

I like Muffs too. He is one of my favorite posters here. But in this instance, he deserves some rebuke.
03-10-2015, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 01:34 PM by Chas.)
(03-10-2015 09:30 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  And they are restricted to military and law enforcement.

Sure, if you can find one, if you want to wait months for the licensing, and if you have some major coin.

Only one murder ever occurred in the U.S. with a legally-owned automatic weapon, and that was by a police officer.
They are simply irrelevant in the gun debate.

I've ever known one gun owner who went to the trouble, and that was about 35 years ago.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-10-2015, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 01:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-10-2015 01:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 09:30 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's not my read. Civilians can own and transfer machine guns with the approval of the ATF is my read.

Sure, if you can find one, if you want to wait months for the licensing, and if you have some major coin.

I've ever known one gun owner who went to the trouble.

Yup. If you want one you gotta really want one. The FBI background check is the step that takes the longest and if you pass that you're basically cleared to have a Secret clearance. I think this is how it should be. I know a dude who has a machine gun in the Peoples Republic of Maryland but he also has a TS/SCI clearance. FBI background check was not necessary.

#sigh