[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 01:35 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 01:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 01:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sure, if you can find one, if you want to wait months for the licensing, and if you have some major coin.

I've ever known one gun owner who went to the trouble.

Yup. If you want one you gotta really want one. The FBI background check is the step that takes the longest and if you pass that you're basically cleared to have a Secret clearance. I think this is how it should be.

I've got no problem with that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 01:39 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 01:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 01:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sure, if you can find one, if you want to wait months for the licensing, and if you have some major coin.

I've ever known one gun owner who went to the trouble.

Yup. If you want one you gotta really want one. The FBI background check is the step that takes the longest and if you pass that you're basically cleared to have a Secret clearance. I think this is how it should be.
I don't believe the background check for a full auto is anywhere near as intensive as a Secret clearance....

I had a Top Secret - and the only difference for Secret was a less intensive polygraph testing.

BATF background checks (to my knowledge) only make a phone call or two to your references...

My TS - they actually sent agents to talk to the references I had listed.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
03-10-2015, 01:43 PM
(03-10-2015 01:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 01:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yup. If you want one you gotta really want one. The FBI background check is the step that takes the longest and if you pass that you're basically cleared to have a Secret clearance. I think this is how it should be.
I don't believe the background check for a full auto is anywhere near as intensive as a Secret clearance....

I had a Top Secret - and the only difference for Secret was a less intensive polygraph testing.

BATF background checks (to my knowledge) only make a phone call or two to your references...

My TS - they actually sent agents to talk to the references I had listed.

And then they asked those references to provide alternate references, so they also had the ones you might not want them to talk to Tongue

'Murican Canadian
03-10-2015, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 01:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-10-2015 01:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 01:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yup. If you want one you gotta really want one. The FBI background check is the step that takes the longest and if you pass that you're basically cleared to have a Secret clearance. I think this is how it should be.

Nope. It's not. Secret clearance is based primarily on criminal investigation background and a questionnaire asking you to self-report if you've ever been a member of a terrorist organization, the communist party, or smoked a doobie now and again.

(03-10-2015 01:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I had a Top Secret - and the only difference for Secret was a less intensive polygraph testing.

No polygraph or drug testing for Secret clearances.

(03-10-2015 01:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My TS - they actually sent agents to talk to the references I had listed.

They do this for TS. Neighbors too. But not for Secret.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Credit is also a big deal for clearances. Even a little slip up can screw you over. I was also not able to get my TS back upon returning from China.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Didn't read this whole thread, but am I the only one who thinks forcing teachers to remain unarmed is a crime against humanity?

[Image: ArmedTeachers.png]

Perhaps there is no cure, but the best treatment I can come up with is allowing people to protect themselves.

Asking how to prevent humans from having violent tendencies is akin to asking how to prevent humans from being human. We're all apes, and sometimes apes are violent little shits.

Disarming teachers makes them sitting ducks and it makes me angry.

Commercial pilots have been arming themselves since shortly after 9/11, why can't teachers?
03-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Ah yes, the "more guns" argument. Because it is working so well so far when we already have more guns than any other nation in the world, and vastly more mass shootings and an intentional homicide rate that is abysmal when compared to other developed nations.

"Well, maybe if there were no speed limits and everyone just drove as fast as they could, they'd be able to speed away from potential accidents. By driving the speed limit, they're just sitting ducks for accident-prone drivers."

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
03-10-2015, 03:35 PM
(03-10-2015 03:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ah yes, the "more guns" argument. Because it is working so well so far when we already have more guns than any other nation in the world, and vastly more mass shootings and an intentional homicide rate that is abysmal when compared to other developed nations.

"Well, maybe if there were no speed limits and everyone just drove as fast as they could, they'd be able to speed away from potential accidents. By driving the speed limit, they're just sitting ducks for accident-prone drivers."

Right....you probably think we should disarm our soldiers before we send them to war too....Drinking Beverage

Here's the deal, we know that another school shooting will take place. Forcing the victims to remain unarmed is a crime against humanity IMO.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
03-10-2015, 03:37 PM
(03-10-2015 03:35 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ah yes, the "more guns" argument. Because it is working so well so far when we already have more guns than any other nation in the world, and vastly more mass shootings and an intentional homicide rate that is abysmal when compared to other developed nations.

Right....you probably think we should disarm our soldiers before we send them to war too....Drinking Beverage

Here's the deal, we know that another school shooting will take place. Forcing the victims to remain unarmed is a crime against humanity IMO.

Forcing the victims to live in a society that values things more than lives is the crime against humanity.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
03-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Metal detectors, scan read IDs. Someone minding the store, as it were. If I can't take enough shampoo on a plane to last a week I don't think that it's too much to ask that whoever enters a school be required to show they should be there and also pass anything they are carrying/wearing through a scanner.

Limit access...I know that doesn't help outside but inside the students are sitting ducks.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post