[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 03:35 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ah yes, the "more guns" argument. Because it is working so well so far when we already have more guns than any other nation in the world, and vastly more mass shootings and an intentional homicide rate that is abysmal when compared to other developed nations.

"Well, maybe if there were no speed limits and everyone just drove as fast as they could, they'd be able to speed away from potential accidents. By driving the speed limit, they're just sitting ducks for accident-prone drivers."

Right....you probably think we should disarm our soldiers before we send them to war too....Drinking Beverage

Here's the deal, we know that another school shooting will take place. Forcing the victims to remain unarmed is a crime against humanity IMO.

It's sad that the first thing you think to compare our schools to, is a war zone.

Would it not make more sense (and be far more humane) to not try and PREVENT our schools from becoming war zones by holding the American populace responsible for its right to bear arms?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 03:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Metal detectors, scan read IDs. Someone minding the store, as it were. If I can't take enough shampoo on a plane to last a week I don't think that it's too much to ask that whoever enters a school be required to show they should be there and also pass anything they are carrying/wearing through a scanner.

Limit access...I know that doesn't help outside but inside the students are sitting ducks.

Something is wrong with a society when it would take these measures to protect kids, instead of going after the root of the problem with our poor gun laws, regulations, and licensing requirements.

-Rick
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
(03-10-2015 03:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Metal detectors, scan read IDs. Someone minding the store, as it were. If I can't take enough shampoo on a plane to last a week I don't think that it's too much to ask that whoever enters a school be required to show they should be there and also pass anything they are carrying/wearing through a scanner.

Limit access...I know that doesn't help outside but inside the students are sitting ducks.

That sorta, works for highschools when it's generally just a 1 area building that is being protected. They pull that out in neighborhoods they think they need that in and within the school grounds.

It's rather excessive and complex to be able to do such a thing at a college where it's likely going to be multiple buildings unconnected and open space around there area that other businesses, homes, commuters, or walkers are using. It's often that college grounds help serve other areas for people and it doesn't have a spot to simply work in a way like that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-10-2015, 03:47 PM
(03-10-2015 03:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

Something is wrong with a society when it would take these measures to protect kids, instead of going after the root of the problem with our poor gun laws, regulations, and licensing requirements.

TBD - Seriously...take a pill.

If we outlaw guns today, right this minute - they aren't all going to vanish off the face of the earth. Were laws to be passed to outlaw any and all weapons it would take a while for that to happen.

Let's just run with that as possible and plausible.

In the meantime...while all the guns are being gathered up...there still needs to be front line protection for the unarmed and cornered.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
03-10-2015, 03:48 PM
(03-10-2015 03:46 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

That sorta, works for highschools when it's generally just a 1 area building that is being protected. They pull that out in neighborhoods they think they need that in and within the school grounds.

It's rather excessive and complex to be able to do such a thing at a college where it's likely going to be multiple buildings unconnected and open space around there area that other businesses, homes, commuters, or walkers are using. It's often that college grounds help serve other areas for people and it doesn't have a spot to simply work in a way like that.

The simple fact that people are more open to discussions about turning our schools into maximum security facilities, instead of amending gun laws, is very saddening and makes it obvious that the "right to bear arms" trumps the lives of the innocents living in our nation. No

-Rick
03-10-2015, 03:49 PM
(03-10-2015 03:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Something is wrong with a society when it would take these measures to protect kids, instead of going after the root of the problem with our poor gun laws, regulations, and licensing requirements.

If we outlaw guns today, right this minute - they aren't all going to vanish off the face of the earth. Were laws to be passed to outlaw any and all weapons it would take a while for that to happen.

In the meantime...while all the guns are being gathered up...there still needs to be front line protection for the unarmed and cornered.

When did I ever say ban guns? Shocking

At what point have I ever suggested that better laws, regulations, and licensing requirements removes the capacity for evil people to do evil things?

-Rick
03-10-2015, 03:51 PM
(03-10-2015 03:35 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ah yes, the "more guns" argument. Because it is working so well so far when we already have more guns than any other nation in the world, and vastly more mass shootings and an intentional homicide rate that is abysmal when compared to other developed nations.

"Well, maybe if there were no speed limits and everyone just drove as fast as they could, they'd be able to speed away from potential accidents. By driving the speed limit, they're just sitting ducks for accident-prone drivers."

Right....you probably think we should disarm our soldiers before we send them to war too....Drinking Beverage

Here's the deal, we know that another school shooting will take place. Forcing the victims to remain unarmed is a crime against humanity IMO.

Forgive the hippies. Life in a bubble has caused them to fear confrontation, but they prefer to disguise it as some kind of enlightenment.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-10-2015, 03:51 PM
(03-10-2015 03:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Something is wrong with a society when it would take these measures to protect kids, instead of going after the root of the problem with our poor gun laws, regulations, and licensing requirements.

And as for "taking a pill" because I pegged a troubling observation about our society, seems to imply that we'd rather not think about the problems in too much depth. Or the implications of the "solutions" being proposed to try and keep the ammosexuals happy. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
03-10-2015, 03:53 PM
(03-10-2015 03:51 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:35 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Right....you probably think we should disarm our soldiers before we send them to war too....Drinking Beverage

Forgive the hippies. Life in a bubble has caused them to fear confrontation, but they prefer to disguise it as some kind of enlightenment.

Yes, anyone advocating for better laws, regulations, and licensing requirements in the hopes of reducing the number of innocent people violently murdered in the US, must be a "hippy" who "lives in a bubble" and "fears confrontation."

-Rick
03-10-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't presume that in order to make ourselves safer, we give more people better access to more guns. I look at that "solution" and recognize it for what it is. Insanity and stupidity.

-Rick