[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 03:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  TBD - Seriously...take a pill.

If we outlaw guns today, right this minute - they aren't all going to vanish off the face of the earth. Were laws to be passed to outlaw any and all weapons it would take a while for that to happen.

Let's just run with that as possible and plausible.

In the meantime...while all the guns are being gathered up...there still needs to be front line protection for the unarmed and cornered.

And as for "taking a pill" because I pegged a troubling observation about our society, seems to imply that we'd rather not think about the problems in too much depth. Or the implications of the "solutions" being proposed to try and keep the ammosexuals happy. Drinking Beverage

Fine...right now the best, fastest fix is metal detectors in schools and places similar. Laws, regulations, the mental health system, police violence, racism, global warming....all the factors that lead to gun violence are going to take time to fix. In the meantime - we should do what we can to try to protect the vulnerable - with school kids being way, way up there on the list.

Do you really think that people here approve of school shootings? You have been around long enough to know that is BS.

Ammosexuals...nice new word ammophobe.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 03:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And as for "taking a pill" because I pegged a troubling observation about our society, seems to imply that we'd rather not think about the problems in too much depth. Or the implications of the "solutions" being proposed to try and keep the ammosexuals happy. Drinking Beverage

Fine...right now the best, fastest fix is metal detectors in schools and places similar. Laws, regulations, the mental health system, police violence, racism, global warming....all the factors that lead to gun violence are going to take time to fix. In the meantime - we should do what we can to try to protect the vulnerable - with school kids being way, way up there on the list.

Do you really think that people here approve of school shootings? You have been around long enough to know that is BS.

Where are you putting these in colleges where the space of the college is mostly open area? Or with 10-20 buildings sprawling around between homes/dorms/buisnesses/etc.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-10-2015, 03:57 PM
TBD, I'm all for exploring every possible avenue to reduce these shootings, but forcing someone into a gun fight with no gun is a crime IMO. Until other measures are working to prevent the shootings, teachers should be able to arm themselves IMO.

Do you think commercial pilots should be allowed to arm themselves?
03-10-2015, 03:58 PM
(03-10-2015 03:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And as for "taking a pill" because I pegged a troubling observation about our society, seems to imply that we'd rather not think about the problems in too much depth. Or the implications of the "solutions" being proposed to try and keep the ammosexuals happy. Drinking Beverage

At what point did I ever imply anyone "approved of school shootings?" Seriously, fuck off with your straw men of my posts.

I'm not interested in the "fast fix" I am interested in meaningful and long term fixes to the actual problems. Putting things like metal detectors in school isn't a solution or a fix to the problem. It is a reaction to the problem that avoids any actual solution to the problem.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
03-10-2015, 03:59 PM
(03-10-2015 03:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Metal detectors, scan read IDs. Someone minding the store, as it were. If I can't take enough shampoo on a plane to last a week I don't think that it's too much to ask that whoever enters a school be required to show they should be there and also pass anything they are carrying/wearing through a scanner.

Limit access...I know that doesn't help outside but inside the students are sitting ducks.

Something is wrong with a society when it would take these measures to protect kids, instead of going after the root of the problem with our poor gun laws, regulations, and licensing requirements.

But that is not the root of the problem, the lack of mental health care is.

If, instead, you argue that since we have a fucking sick society where we need to prevent the sick fucks from getting guns, I'm down with that. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2015, 03:59 PM
(03-10-2015 03:57 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  TBD, I'm all for exploring every possible avenue to reduce these shootings, but forcing someone into a gun fight with no gun is a crime IMO. Until other measures are working to prevent the shootings, teachers should be able to arm themselves IMO.

Look at post 290.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

03-10-2015, 04:00 PM
(03-10-2015 03:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Fine...right now the best, fastest fix is metal detectors in schools and places similar. Laws, regulations, the mental health system, police violence, racism, global warming....all the factors that lead to gun violence are going to take time to fix. In the meantime - we should do what we can to try to protect the vulnerable - with school kids being way, way up there on the list.

At what point did I ever imply anyone "approved of school shootings?" Seriously, fuck off with your straw men of my posts.

I'm not interested in the "fast fix" I am interested in meaningful and long term fixes to the actual problems. Putting things like metal detectors in school isn't a solution or a fix to the problem. It is a reaction to the problem that avoids any actual solution to the problem.

It's a form of protection till a fix is found and implemented.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-10-2015, 04:01 PM
(03-10-2015 03:57 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  TBD, I'm all for exploring every possible avenue to reduce these shootings, but forcing someone into a gun fight with no gun is a crime IMO. Until other measures are working to prevent the shootings, teachers should be able to arm themselves IMO.

Do I think commercial pilots should be able to arm themselves? No, I don't. I do think that with the checks we have before people get on planes, it isn't necessary and only introduces more problems.

As for arming teachers, you are quite literally placing guns in the same vicinity as kids. And in order for them to be useful in self defense, they must be accessible. So, accessible guns around kids sounds like a disaster. A short term response might be more SRO Officers, but not giving teachers guns. Especially when you consider the stats that guns in homes, results in them being used more frequently for suicides and domestic disputes than for self defense.

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:02 PM
(03-10-2015 04:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  At what point did I ever imply anyone "approved of school shootings?" Seriously, fuck off with your straw men of my posts.

It's a form of protection till a fix is found and implemented.

It is a band-aid that avoids the issue.

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:03 PM
(03-10-2015 03:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Something is wrong with a society when it would take these measures to protect kids, instead of going after the root of the problem with our poor gun laws, regulations, and licensing requirements.

But that is not the root of the problem, the lack of mental health care is.

If, instead, you argue that since we have a fucking sick society where we need to prevent the sick fucks from getting guns, I'm down with that. Thumbsup

Among the "sick fucks" are the average people who snap too. The average person who spirals into a fit of depression. Yes, mental healthcare is one of many necessities in helping solve the problem long term. But homogenized laws and regulations and restrictions and licensing requirements is another. Time and time again, the "illegal guns" in the hands of criminals originated as legal guns somewhere along the line.

-Rick