[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 04:05 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 04:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's a form of protection till a fix is found and implemented.

It is a band-aid that avoids the issue.

It doesn't avoid the issue, it's a protection till we can control the issue.

I assume you are okay with kids getting shot till that control happens cause metal detectors won't help at all?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 04:06 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
For instance, nations with better gun licensing laws, more regulations and restrictions, AND better healthcare, all have intentional homicide rates far lower than the US. Why is that? It isn't only the gun laws and licensing requirements, but isn't only the healthcare either.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:07 PM
(03-10-2015 04:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It is a band-aid that avoids the issue.

It doesn't avoid the issue, it's a protection till we can control the issue.

I assume you are okay with kids getting shot till that control happens cause metal detectors won't help at all?

"I assume you are okay with kids getting shot till that control happens cause metal detectors won't help at all?"

I'm not going to keep answering asinine straw men versions of what I post

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:09 PM
(03-10-2015 04:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  At what point did I ever imply anyone "approved of school shootings?" Seriously, fuck off with your straw men of my posts.

I'm not interested in the "fast fix" I am interested in meaningful and long term fixes to the actual problems. Putting things like metal detectors in school isn't a solution or a fix to the problem. It is a reaction to the problem that avoids any actual solution to the problem.

It's a form of protection till a fix is found and implemented.

Sometimes shorterm solutions cause more problems than fix the long term issue... but this one doesn't make sense for MOST college buildings.

Do you think there needs to be guards with the metal detectors at every building? Because most of these shootings that exist in classrooms on campus's have been a person walking into an ongoing classroom not far into a building shooting. If there is just a metal detector without more human security or added forces of that nature, the alarm from time to a person shooting would be minuscule in protecting people.

This is from the shooting at NIU.
[Image: Cole%20hall%20%20seats.PNG?format=500w]
I was at this school the time of the shooting. A metal detector or alarm going off would of changed nothing to stop him or someone walking into the building with the back doors there between the lecture halls, then walk right into the classroom and begin firing like he did before the students would of reacted in safety.

Many of the instances have gone this way. Walk into a building, walk into the classroom, fire, kill self or walk out and repeat the process at a different building.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
03-10-2015, 04:10 PM
(03-10-2015 04:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It doesn't avoid the issue, it's a protection till we can control the issue.

"I assume you are okay with kids getting shot till that control happens cause metal detectors won't help at all?"

Do you recognize the question mark at the end of the sentence?

It means I am assuming something but am wanting to know if I am correct.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

03-10-2015, 04:12 PM
(03-10-2015 04:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I assume you are okay with kids getting shot till that control happens cause metal detectors won't help at all?"

Do you recognize the question mark at the end of the sentence?

How would anything I have posted or said even give you the slightest impression I would be okay with kids getting shot for any reason?

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:13 PM
(03-10-2015 04:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Do you recognize the question mark at the end of the sentence?

How would anything I have posted or said even give you the slightest impression I would be okay with kids getting shot for any reason?

Why do you seem so totally against putting in protections until changes can be made in laws, regs, etc?

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-10-2015, 04:17 PM
(03-10-2015 04:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How would anything I have posted or said even give you the slightest impression I would be okay with kids getting shot for any reason?

Why do you seem so totally against putting in protections until changes can be made in laws, regs, etc?

1) When did I ever say "don't do that" and say that I don't think they should be implemented at all?

2) I said it is a band-aid (implying it is a reaction that doesn't solve the actual problems. And as Clydlee points out, it is a band-aid that could only have any benefit at a subset of schools)

3) What I did actually say is that it is a short term response that ignores the actual problem and does not address long term solutions.

4) When did I ever fucking say anything that would even subtly hint at me being okay with kids being shot for any fucking reason?

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:18 PM
(03-10-2015 04:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How would anything I have posted or said even give you the slightest impression I would be okay with kids getting shot for any reason?

Do you even understand how fucking offensive it was for you to ask such a shitty fucking question that is in no way logically connected to anything I have said or posted?

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:21 PM

Not only that, but how long will it take before any changes begin to have an effect in reducing the shootings? Can we even be certain that the changes will reduce the shootings? IOW, we need protective measures in case the preventative measures aren't successful.