[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 04:23 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 04:21 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Why do you seem so totally against putting in protections until changes can be made in laws, regs, etc?

Not only that, but how long will it take before any changes begin to have an effect in reducing the shootings? Can we even be certain that the changes will reduce the shootings? IOW, we need protective measures in case the preventative measures aren't successful.

If the protective measures do more harm than good, they are worse than useless. Would metal detectors and locks and id's do more harm than good? Probably not, but they'd be an excessive cost and have (in the vast majority of settings) a neutral impact. And (as Clydlee points out), they'd have no actual benefit in any way in some settings.

But putting more guns out there and putting them in classrooms, would only open the door to more problems inside the school. It is not as if teachers lack the capacity to do harm. They are human too.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-10-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 04:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Why do you seem so totally against putting in protections until changes can be made in laws, regs, etc?

Do you even understand how fucking offensive it was for you to ask such a shitty fucking question that is in no way logically connected to anything I have said or posted?

Someone whose undies weren't in such a tight bunch would have seen that I said you "seem". As in, it seems to me... Not a statement of fact...I asked a question in hopes that you would explain what I am misunderstanding, if that is the case. Instead it's another hissy fit.

I understand that no protections will cover everyone in every situation.

I give TBD - your anger isn't what I was looking for. I was looking to be clear on understanding where you stand.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
03-10-2015, 04:24 PM
(03-10-2015 04:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:21 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Not only that, but how long will it take before any changes begin to have an effect in reducing the shootings? Can we even be certain that the changes will reduce the shootings? IOW, we need protective measures in case the preventative measures aren't successful.

If the protective measures do more harm than good, they are worse than useless. Would metal detectors and locks and id's do more harm than good? Probably not, but they'd be an excessive cost and have (in the vast majority of settings) a neutral impact. And (as Clydlee points out), they'd have no actual benefit in any way in some settings.

But putting more guns out there and putting them in classrooms, would only open the door to more problems inside the school. It is not as if teachers lack the capacity to do harm. They are human too.

Not to mention the fact that in order to be useful in self defense, guns in classrooms would need to be accessible. Meaning that accessible guns would be there in the same location as the kids. That is a recipe for disaster.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-10-2015, 04:25 PM
(03-10-2015 04:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Do you even understand how fucking offensive it was for you to ask such a shitty fucking question that is in no way logically connected to anything I have said or posted?

Someone whose undies weren't in such a tight bunch would have seen that I said you "seem". As in, it seems to me... Not a statement of fact...I asked a question in hopes that you would explain what I am misunderstanding, if that is the case. Instead it's another hissy fit.

I give TBD - your anger isn't what I was looking for. I was looking to be clear on understanding where you stand.

"I give TBD - your anger isn't what I was looking for. I was looking to be clear on understanding where you stand."

The simple fact that you even asked that question based on what I said, is disturbing. Thanks for the non-apology.

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:29 PM
"I assume you are okay with kids getting shot till that control happens cause metal detectors won't help at all?"

You assumed that what I said, implied I was okay with kids being shot. It wasn't a matter of "trying to be clear on where I stand." It was an assumption I was okay with kids being shot when nothing I actually said implied that at all in any way.

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:30 PM
(03-10-2015 03:53 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:51 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Forgive the hippies. Life in a bubble has caused them to fear confrontation, but they prefer to disguise it as some kind of enlightenment.

Yes, anyone advocating for better laws, regulations, and licensing requirements in the hopes of reducing the number of innocent people violently murdered in the US, must be a "hippy" who "lives in a bubble" and "fears confrontation."

I'm glad we have an understanding.

'Murican Canadian
03-10-2015, 04:30 PM
(03-10-2015 04:25 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Someone whose undies weren't in such a tight bunch would have seen that I said you "seem". As in, it seems to me... Not a statement of fact...I asked a question in hopes that you would explain what I am misunderstanding, if that is the case. Instead it's another hissy fit.

"I give TBD - your anger isn't what I was looking for. I was looking to be clear on understanding where you stand."

The simple fact that you even asked that question based on what I said, is disturbing. Thanks for the non-apology.

Your words led me to a conclusion you found disturbing. Yet, rather than answer questions and clear up my apparent confusion...you get butthurt and angry.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-10-2015, 04:31 PM
(03-10-2015 04:30 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:53 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Yes, anyone advocating for better laws, regulations, and licensing requirements in the hopes of reducing the number of innocent people violently murdered in the US, must be a "hippy" who "lives in a bubble" and "fears confrontation."

I'm glad we have an understanding.

You don't seem to understand the sarcastic reply to the ignorant straw man you made. I'll make note of that and be more explicit in calling out the stupidity next time.

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:32 PM
(03-10-2015 04:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:25 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I give TBD - your anger isn't what I was looking for. I was looking to be clear on understanding where you stand."

Your words led me to a conclusion you found disturbing. Yet, rather than answer questions and clear up my apparent confusion...you get butthurt and angry.

Fuck you for implying I would be okay with kids being shot. And fuck you again for trying to belittle me for being offended at the implication I would be okay with kids being shot.

-Rick
03-10-2015, 04:32 PM
(03-10-2015 04:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If the protective measures do more harm than good, they are worse than useless. Would metal detectors and locks and id's do more harm than good? Probably not, but they'd be an excessive cost and have (in the vast majority of settings) a neutral impact. And (as Clydlee points out), they'd have no actual benefit in any way in some settings.

Not to mention the fact that in order to be useful in self defense, guns in classrooms would need to be accessible. Meaning that accessible guns would be there in the same location as the kids. That is a recipe for disaster.

So when a police officer goes into a school with his/her gun, is that a recipe for disaster? Should the police officer be forced to leave his/her gun outside the school? Just tryin' to see how deep your crazy goes....Gasp