[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 06:12 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 06:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 06:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Everyone does.

Even in countries where guns are illegal.

Not as easily as in the Land Of The Brave ™
And a person who's willing to get themselves killed to get famous isn't going to let a thing like it being illegal or hard to procure a gun stop them. They're motivated.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2015, 06:22 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 06:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 06:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Not as easily as in the Land Of The Brave ™
And a person who's willing to get themselves killed to get famous isn't going to let a thing like it being illegal or hard to procure a gun stop them. They're motivated.

And yet... other countries (excluding warzones) don't have shootings nearly as frequently as the US. Are people from other countries just not as desperate to get on the news?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-10-2015, 06:27 AM
(04-10-2015 06:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 06:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And a person who's willing to get themselves killed to get famous isn't going to let a thing like it being illegal or hard to procure a gun stop them. They're motivated.

And yet... other countries (excluding warzones) don't have shootings nearly as frequently as the US. Are people from other countries just not as desperate to get on the news?

I posted an article yesterday that had a link to an FBI pamphlet that showed that if you remove drug/gang related mass shootings, the U.S. isn't anymore prone to mass killings than most other nations. In other nations like Russia where they have less guns, the rate of BOMBINGS is higher. Or China where they go on mass stabbing sprees.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
04-10-2015, 06:28 AM
(04-10-2015 06:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 06:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And a person who's willing to get themselves killed to get famous isn't going to let a thing like it being illegal or hard to procure a gun stop them. They're motivated.

I don't know what motivates them. I'm more familiar with Americans.

And why exclude war zones?? Those aren't robots - they're people too - -and they've got their motivations. To exclude them is to skew the data.

For crissakes - here in the US the gun control camp counts suicides, justifiable shootings - and justified police actions as "gun violence".....

If we're gonna count everything, count everything...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-10-2015, 06:33 AM
I was excluding warzones more because I imagine you guys wouldn't want to be saying things like "Well, at least we're better off than Afghanistan/Iraq/Somalia." Also you claim that the reason these guys go postal is to get on the news - in a warzone, that hardly applies, unless you take out like 1000 people. Then maybe some international news desk will give you a one line mention.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-10-2015, 06:40 AM
The reason that the "lone gunman" gets more attention than a battle line front in a shooting war - is something I came up with a few years ago..

It's "Pretty Girl Syndrome".

When a pretty white suburban girl goes missing -- there's an outpouring of support from "victims groups", there will be candlelight vigils, volunteers showing up to search a malarial swamp, and beau-coup media coverage -- including "Amber Alerts" and eventually even a spot on "Dateline".....

A poor black girl goes missing??? If she's lucky she'll get onto a milk carton.

How does that apply???

Pretty victims get better ratings..

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-10-2015, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 06:45 AM by Ted Tucker.)
(03-10-2015 11:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Again... Guns aren't the problem. Would stricter gun laws prevent these tragedies? No. No, they wouldn't. If someone wants a gun, they will get a gun. The latest shooter had some of his guns given to him by relatives... no amount of gun laws can prevent that.

Guns. Are. Not. The. Problem.

What is?

Society. Specifically mental health and poverty. Violence and the propencity for violence towards others is directly linked to these two factors just like drunk driving is directly linked to drinking alcohol and driving instead of the vehicle itself.

Instead of focusing on "fixing" guns, we need to focus on the run-away epidemic in our country which is proper care and rehabilitation of the mentally I'll (in any capacity) and the poverty which is a cesspool for violent crimes.

These are the real issues. I'm so tired of people rah-rahing and jumping on the derp wagon about guns and gun control while ignoring these two issues. We all need to come together as a society and actively fight to get the mentally ill well and improve property.

We've proved that we, as a society, can come together to fixed or actively fight against societal problems or health problems: look at the fight against smoking. Or, the active stand against bullying. Or, the campaign against and education for teen pregnancy. These have proved successful.

If we educate, understand, empathize, and take a stand for these two issues as a society, gun violence WILL decrease. Not only will it decrease, but it is also a viable solution that makes the gun debate irrelavent; thus, eliminating the need to argue about the subject.

The whole gun debate is a huge strawman.

Yes absolutely we need to do all of the above, including voting in sensible gun laws. Education is the key! You can't get an education on Fox News.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like Ted Tucker's post
04-10-2015, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 07:01 AM by DLJ.)
(03-10-2015 10:57 PM)yakherder Wrote:  ...
My vision of perfect society is pre civilization tribal egalitarianism.

So, a kinda mix between Amish and communism?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Starting to think the only thing we can do now is gather under the blankie and smoke a joint and have a big cry and a group hug. If it is important enough to the individual to make a change such changes are best expressed with cooler heads. This just doesn't have that kind of importance to me. When I'm ambitious, I do my bit for scientific literacy. Undecided

(04-10-2015 05:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  1. Lock them in a cell, and refer to them as only a number till they croak.
2. Bury them in an unmarked grave.

When the psychopath has to give you a lecture on ethics, ya might have unlocked the full metal retard achievement. Dodgy

This two-step boogie presupposes a simple cause to an horrific effect. Every time we start talking about them, somebody ends up in the ground. Let's talk about why we wanna kill a bunch of people.

I wanna kill a bunch of creationists. A bunch of pro-lifers. A bunch of people taking a left turn on red. Fortunately I don't think highly enough of myself to impose these judgments. Do you?

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-10-2015, 06:58 AM
(04-10-2015 06:53 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Starting to think the only thing we can do now is gather under the blankie and smoke a joint and have a big cry and a group hug. If it is important enough to the individual to make a change such changes are best expressed with cooler heads. This just doesn't have that kind of importance to me. When I'm ambitious, I do my bit for scientific literacy. Undecided

(04-10-2015 05:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  1. Lock them in a cell, and refer to them as only a number till they croak.
2. Bury them in an unmarked grave.

When the psychopath has to give you a lecture on ethics, ya might have unlocked the full metal retard achievement. Dodgy

This two-step boogie presupposes a simple cause to an horrific effect. Every time we start talking about them, somebody ends up in the ground. Let's talk about why we wanna kill a bunch of people.

I wanna kill a bunch of creationists. A bunch of pro-lifers. A bunch of people taking a left turn on red. Fortunately I don't think highly enough of myself to impose these judgments. Do you?

When somebody goes on a shooting rampage, I figure they've relinquished their rights as a human being - and now have the same status as a rabid dog.

Sorry - I find it impossible to forgive such heinous crimes.