[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 10:10 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 04:44 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I would want a similar program that allows pilots to carry guns. It's optional for them and they have to receive training to participate. IMO teachers should have the option so long as they receive training. They could carry the gun in the same way police officers do. The gun wouldn't have to be "accessible" to everyone. That would be stupid in a classroom full of children.

Don't think it will work. Do think it's a recipe for disaster even if the teacher used to be a cop. The authority structure between teacher and student is entirely different than that between cop and populace. I saw students physically confront teachers many times. If the teacher had a gun I can see nasty shit happening. Unintended consequences and whatnot.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-10-2015, 10:15 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 05:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  In American high schools, there are usually vice principals (and teachers) who are also sports coaches. Some of them are pretty physically imposing and are not likely to have their guns taken.

And they are typically quite capable of physically restraining an individual without the use of a gun. Wrestling coaches particularly so.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-10-2015, 10:20 AM
(04-10-2015 09:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh, and the fact that textbooks are even used in our educational system in this day and age is a fucking scam. Especially in college where the textbooks are $100 or more. Everything can be found online nowadays. You just need one internet connection and a large screen display per classroom.

Not to derail, but this.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-10-2015, 10:21 AM
(04-10-2015 09:51 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  There are definitely different types of gun nuts. I was just saying that some people have a preconceived notion that right wing redneck NRA members are the mass shooters. Not sure why this perception exists.

Probably because they're the ones yelling the loudest against any type of change after a shooting. They're the ones who think it's a real keen idea to do open carry protests in restaurants right after these things happen. It's the crazy far-right groups like the Oath Keepers that get lionized on Fox News for pointing their rifles at fucking federal paper-pushers.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
(03-10-2015 05:28 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If we want security in our schools, they need to be security and not a teacher playing rent-a-cop. A cop isn't qualified to teach. And a teacher isn't qualified to be a cop.

My bigass bodybuilding brother is a security officer for a school of last resort where all of the students were expelled from other schools. He is very well trained in how to subdue a student without harming them (or at least without harming them in a way the security cameras would pick up, thumb to the ribs followed by the appropriate restraint move). No guns necessary. And no way to get in without going past my brother at the single point of entrance.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-10-2015, 10:25 AM
(04-10-2015 10:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 05:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  In American high schools, there are usually vice principals (and teachers) who are also sports coaches. Some of them are pretty physically imposing and are not likely to have their guns taken.

And they are typically quite capable of physically restraining an individual without the use of a gun. Wrestling coaches particularly so.

[Image: GFZ-is-Sitting-Duck-Zone.jpg]
04-10-2015, 10:26 AM
(04-10-2015 10:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 05:28 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If we want security in our schools, they need to be security and not a teacher playing rent-a-cop. A cop isn't qualified to teach. And a teacher isn't qualified to be a cop.

My bigass bodybuilding brother is a security officer for a school of last resort where all of the students were expelled from other schools. He is very well trained in how to subdue a student without harming them (or at least without harming them in a way the security cameras would pick up, thumb to the ribs followed by the appropriate restraint move). No guns necessary. And no way to get in without going past my brother at the single point of entrance.

Wow! Can he catch bullets in his teeth?
04-10-2015, 10:30 AM
(03-10-2015 07:17 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  It's not feasible to put cops in schools.

PG County, MD does.

04-10-2015, 10:34 AM
(03-10-2015 07:34 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Earmuffs if you are going to make inane statements like this I will need to borrow your earmuffs.

You have no idea what you've waded into here, Ted. I can't get the image outta my head of MuffinStuffin straddling your head with his thighs covering your ears and his junk covering your face. Hobo

04-10-2015, 10:35 AM
(04-10-2015 10:30 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 07:17 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  It's not feasible to put cops in schools.

PG County, MD does.

Do you really think we have enough cops to patrol all of our schools? Even so, the fewer people with guns, the fewer people that can stop a shooter. The more "good guys" with guns, the better IMO.

I still say that sending a teacher to gun fight armed only with a pencil is a crime.