[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(03-10-2015 10:57 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My vision of perfect society is pre civilization tribal egalitarianism.

I'm pretty sure that the bulk of pre-civilization was meritocratic and not egalitarian. I could be wrong though.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 10:35 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 10:30 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  PG County, MD does.

Do you really think we have enough cops to patrol all of our schools? Even so, the fewer people with guns, the fewer people that can stop a shooter. The more "good guys" with guns, the better IMO.

I still say that sending a teacher to gun fight armed only with a pencil is a crime.

The more people who have guns, the more gun accidents you're going to have; which isn't an opinion as much as it's a statistical inevitability.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-10-2015, 10:59 AM
(04-10-2015 10:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 10:35 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Do you really think we have enough cops to patrol all of our schools? Even so, the fewer people with guns, the fewer people that can stop a shooter. The more "good guys" with guns, the better IMO.

I still say that sending a teacher to gun fight armed only with a pencil is a crime.

The more people who have guns, the more gun accidents you're going to have; which isn't an opinion as much as it's a statistical inevitability.

Doesn't really do much to change my mind. Sometimes soldiers are killed by friendly fire, does that mean we should take away their guns?
04-10-2015, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 11:03 AM by GirlyMan.)
(04-10-2015 10:26 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 10:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My bigass bodybuilding brother is a security officer for a school of last resort where all of the students were expelled from other schools. He is very well trained in how to subdue a student without harming them (or at least without harming them in a way the security cameras would pick up, thumb to the ribs followed by the appropriate restraint move). No guns necessary. And no way to get in without going past my brother at the single point of entrance.

Wow! Can he catch bullets in his teeth?

He's sitting behind bullet-proof glass (maybe it's plastic, think you could make plastic far more impenetrable than glass). He'd just smirk at the dude and call 911. Checkmate batshit insane motherfucker with guns.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-10-2015, 11:10 AM
(04-10-2015 10:59 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 10:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Doesn't really do much to change my mind. Sometimes soldiers are killed by friendly fire, does that mean we should take away their guns?

Soldiers have training, random dude on the street does not. Unless you want to mandate that only people who undergo military level training are allowed to own and operate firearms, that's a weak ass analogy. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-10-2015, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 11:32 AM by GirlyMan.)
(04-10-2015 10:35 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 10:30 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  PG County, MD does.

Do you really think we have enough cops to patrol all of our schools?

Nope. Gotta do a risk assessment on a per school basis. Will this thwart an active batshit insane shooter from causing mayhem on the high risk schools, yup. Will it make low-risk schools bigger targets? Yep.

(04-10-2015 10:35 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Even so, the fewer people with guns, the fewer people that can stop a shooter. The more "good guys" with guns, the better IMO.

What I see is the more "good guys" with guns the more innocent people gonna be caught in the crossfire.

(04-10-2015 10:35 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I still say that sending a teacher to gun fight armed only with a pencil is a crime.

My best man at my wedding is an Army Ranger. One night when we we're just hanging out sampling Scotch he picked up a pencil and said "I know how to kill you in 10 different ways with just this pencil, Bob." Hobo

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-10-2015, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 11:31 AM by GirlyMan.)
oops double post. Blush .... my bad

#sigh
04-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Side note - the cop who was the 'resource office' at the middle/high school my kids attended was Officer Crook.

Turned out later he was more crook than officer. Undecided

But yeah, even dirt poor backwoods schools in SC had a deputy whose beat was the school.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
04-10-2015, 11:47 AM
One murder every 34 minutes.
One rape every 6 minutes.
One robbery every 1.5 minutes.
One assault every 42 seconds.
One forced entry burglary every 28 seconds.

Every year, millions are raped, assaulted, or robbed in America. Thousands are murdered. Just the other day a military veteran was walking with his wife in St Louis, leaving a baseball game when some thugs robbed his wife of her purse. They ran from the thugs, only for the husband to be shot in the back multiple times. He'll never walk again.

These things will never stop. Criminals will never stop raping, murdering, car jacking, robbing, assaulting.

Knowing that these things happen, and any of us can be a statistic, I carry a gun everywhere. You can be against guns all you want, until the day comes when you need one. You could end up like the husband and wife that were sleeping in bed when multiple assailants broke in, beat the husband, raped the wife while he was forced to watch, then shot him in the head while the wife watched. I'm sure they wished they had a gun when they heard the first window break.

When you're walking in the mall, and some lunatic pulls out a gun and starts killing people, you can be a victim and accept your fate, or you can defend yourself and at least have a fighting chance.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
04-10-2015, 11:58 AM
I find it a horrible thought to have guns in schools. I can not for the life of me wrap my head around the America gun debate. But I can see well enough to understand that you will ever get rid of those guns, and I fear the same goes for shootings, but on that account I hope that I'm very much wrong.

Question: Do you guys fear getting involved in a situation with a gunman?