[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 12:05 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 11:58 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Question: Do you guys fear getting involved in a situation with a gunman?

Read the post before yours. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
"it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." -Ron Ramsey

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
(04-10-2015 11:58 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I find it a horrible thought to have guns in schools. I can not for the life of me wrap my head around the America gun debate. But I can see well enough to understand that you will ever get rid of those guns, and I fear the same goes for shootings, but on that account I hope that I'm very much wrong.

Question: Do you guys fear getting involved in a situation with a gunman?

I fear not being the one present when it happens, knowing that most other people are dead set on being victims before the situation even occurs.

To me, the fact that there are major fights going on in the world with groups I've got problems with while I'm stuck back home waiting for orders to deploy causes me more anxiety than the idea I might come across a shooter. It's not my fear, it's my wet dream Tongue

'Murican Canadian
04-10-2015, 12:15 PM
(04-10-2015 12:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 11:58 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Question: Do you guys fear getting involved in a situation with a gunman?

Read the post before yours. Drinking Beverage

I did. But I'm thinking there's a difference in thinking you need a gun because of statistics, and to actively think about it when you are out and about (Perhaps not every time but reasonable often.. . what that might mean to you). I might have formulated my question a bit vague I guess.
04-10-2015, 12:16 PM
(04-10-2015 11:47 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  One murder every 34 minutes.
One rape every 6 minutes.
One robbery every 1.5 minutes.
One assault every 42 seconds.
One forced entry burglary every 28 seconds.

Every year, millions are raped, assaulted, or robbed in America. Thousands are murdered. Just the other day a military veteran was walking with his wife in St Louis, leaving a baseball game when some thugs robbed his wife of her purse. They ran from the thugs, only for the husband to be shot in the back multiple times. He'll never walk again.

These things will never stop. Criminals will never stop raping, murdering, car jacking, robbing, assaulting.

Knowing that these things happen, and any of us can be a statistic, I carry a gun everywhere. You can be against guns all you want, until the day comes when you need one. You could end up like the husband and wife that were sleeping in bed when multiple assailants broke in, beat the husband, raped the wife while he was forced to watch, then shot him in the head while the wife watched. I'm sure they wished they had a gun when they heard the first window break.

When you're walking in the mall, and some lunatic pulls out a gun and starts killing people, you can be a victim and accept your fate, or you can defend yourself and at least have a fighting chance.

With increased guns comes more gun suicides and lethal accidents, in addition to people playing cop, and an increase in the shear saturation that does nothing but make it even easier for those who want a gun to get one. It's a feedback loop; the more guns there are, the easier they are for undesirables to get, which spurs on more sales out of fear, which adds more guns to the market, and the cycle continues.

The only people who benefit from the current state of affairs are gun manufactures and those who share in their profits, like the NRA and bought politicians.

Buying into that culture of fear will only feed more energy into the loop, not break us out of it. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Every year, millions are raped, assaulted, or robbed in America. Thousands are murdered. Just the other day a military veteran was walking with his wife in St Louis, leaving a baseball game when some thugs robbed his wife of her purse. They ran from the thugs, only for the husband to be shot in the back multiple times. He'll never walk again.

These things will never stop. Criminals will never stop raping, murdering, car jacking, robbing, assaulting.

Knowing that these things happen, and any of us can be a statistic, I carry a gun everywhere. You can be against guns all you want, until the day comes when you need one. You could end up like the husband and wife that were sleeping in bed when multiple assailants broke in, beat the husband, raped the wife while he was forced to watch, then shot him in the head while the wife watched. I'm sure they wished they had a gun when they heard the first window break.

When you're walking in the mall, and some lunatic pulls out a gun and starts killing people, you can be a victim and accept your fate, or you can defend yourself and at least have a fighting chance.

I'm curious...how many home invasions have you personally prevented in your own home? How many rapes have you personally prevented? Muggings -- depending on where you live might be more realistic...

Since you say this why you carry a gun everywhere, how many bank robberies have you personally thwarted?

I actually was at a shopping mall where someone did open fire. I just walked in, heard people screaming and shots being fired and walked right out the door, straight to my car and didnt stop until I was home. By the time I was on the main road, I heard sirens.

Now I did read later that someone else did have a gun, but told reporters that from his angle he coudn't get a shot and know he wouldn't hit some one else.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-10-2015, 12:34 PM
(04-10-2015 12:15 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Read the post before yours. Drinking Beverage

I did. But I'm thinking there's a difference in thinking you need a gun because of statistics, and to actively think about it when you are out and about (Perhaps not every time but reasonable often.. . what that might mean to you). I might have formulated my question a bit vague I guess.

The answer is that once the likelihood has been determined and the risk/benefit of carrying a gun determined, then it is not 'fear' - it is situational awareness.

Situational awareness is simply knowing what's going on around you and identifying possible danger. You can't practice that while walking and texting. No

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-10-2015, 12:39 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

I'm vegan and probably the closest on here to what some would typically classify as a "hippie." That said, I am all for *responsible* gun ownership for the very reasons LDH mentioned in his post.

I am female and do a good amount of hiking by myself in fairly remote areas and have come across male hikers on the trails. I like being able to have the added comfort of knowing I could protect myself if need be. My uncle lived in a pretty remote part of Maine and whenever he would take us on hikes, he would always carry a gun. As such, it does not seem weird to me to carry a gun in these circumstances. I view it as being proactive.

I don’t want to be a victim or rely on a man to protect me, I want to be able to protect myself. I do think there needs to be stricter gun laws, however. I also agree with another poster who mentioned that if someone spends their days and nights thinking up ways to kill others, they will get access to a gun one way or another or find some other way to inflict the most harm. It makes me think of that pilot who deliberately crashed a plane load of people into the Alps. There are always going to be mentally ill people out there who use a variety of different methods to kill others.

My heart definitely goes out to all involved in this tragedy.

On a side note, I am doing a really shitty job of taking a break from TTA--you guys always have such interesting threads! Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
04-10-2015, 12:39 PM
(04-10-2015 12:16 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

With increased guns comes more gun suicides and lethal accidents, in addition to people playing cop, and an increase in the shear saturation that does nothing but make it even easier for those who want a gun to get one. It's a feedback loop; the more guns there are, the easier they are for undesirables to get, which spurs on more sales out of fear, which adds more guns to the market, and the cycle continues.

The only people who benefit from the current state of affairs are gun manufactures and those who share in their profits, like the NRA and bought politicians.

Buying into that culture of fear will only feed more energy into the loop, not break us out of it. Drinking Beverage

Suicide will happen no matter what. No guns in France or Japan but they have a higher suicide rate than the U.S. Australia, Canada and the U.K. have strict gun laws, their suicide rates are similar to America.

You make it sound like there are these back room deals where the NRA pays Republican politicians to vote against gun control. You don't think Republican politicians could think like Republican voters and truly support gun rights without needing to be bought? Or that even if they aren't gun owners, they know their constituents are so they vote the way they are expected? It has to be some conspiracy right?

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
04-10-2015, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 12:48 PM by Chas.)
(04-10-2015 12:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  On a side note, I am doing a really shitty job of taking a break from TTA--you guys always have such interesting threads! Tongue

[Image: ec8b47d56535c9d7b4cc3aa068943e7b001f3fbd...1c4809.jpg]

On a serious note, in 2009 it became legal to carry a gun in national parks and wildlife refuges subject to state firearm laws.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post