[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 12:44 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm curious...how many home invasions have you personally prevented in your own home?

One.

Simply reminding them that I had a gun was enough.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-10-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 12:39 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:16 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  With increased guns comes more gun suicides and lethal accidents, in addition to people playing cop, and an increase in the shear saturation that does nothing but make it even easier for those who want a gun to get one. It's a feedback loop; the more guns there are, the easier they are for undesirables to get, which spurs on more sales out of fear, which adds more guns to the market, and the cycle continues.

The only people who benefit from the current state of affairs are gun manufactures and those who share in their profits, like the NRA and bought politicians.

Buying into that culture of fear will only feed more energy into the loop, not break us out of it. Drinking Beverage

Suicide will happen no matter what. No guns in France or Japan but they have a higher suicide rate than the U.S. Australia, Canada and the U.K. have strict gun laws, their suicide rates are similar to America.

You make it sound like there are these back room deals where the NRA pays Republican politicians to vote against gun control. You don't think Republican politicians could think like Republican voters and truly support gun rights without needing to be bought? Or that even if they aren't gun owners, they know their constituents are so they vote the way they are expected? It has to be some conspiracy right?

Well unless there is 1 politician where he fits where that 10% against the 90% who want some stronger status of background check guncontrols that actually isn't the reality of what any politicians constituents want. Not so much back room deals, but yes, this is the manner of how lobbying of all lobbying industries with this much power can work... and who said "republicans" you said that. which is bizarre because this is a situation that is in no way some merely republican politician viewed shift.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
(04-10-2015 12:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  On a side note, I am doing a really shitty job of taking a break from TTA--you guys always have such interesting threads! Tongue

[Image: ec8b47d56535c9d7b4cc3aa068943e7b001f3fbd...1c4809.jpg]

Thanks Chas....I was going to comment on that exact line....

But you know how badly my phone hates me. Smile

Also, I've tried to take a break...and never seem to last more than a day. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
(04-10-2015 11:58 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I find it a horrible thought to have guns in schools. I can not for the life of me wrap my head around the America gun debate. But I can see well enough to understand that you will ever get rid of those guns, and I fear the same goes for shootings, but on that account I hope that I'm very much wrong.

Question: Do you guys fear getting involved in a situation with a gunman?

I fear people who think of themselves as good guys with guns. A better description of too many of these folks would be insecure guys with guns. I worry about running into one of those assholes when he's had a drink or two and starts feeling disrespected by life, or when he sees someone who he thinks is a threat and starts shooting and hits bystanders instead.

I have encountered a bad guy with a gun IRL. I screamed, ran, and survived unharmed. Now, that was a terrifying experience, but it still didn't make me want a gun for myself.

I don't think that stricter gun control laws in the US would lead to armed thugs rampaging through the streets--that has not happened in other developed countries that have strict gun control--but unfortunately, my view is on the wrong side of the money. There are way more profits to be gained from fear-mongering and ramping up paranoia.
04-10-2015, 12:48 PM
(04-10-2015 12:46 PM)julep Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 11:58 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I find it a horrible thought to have guns in schools. I can not for the life of me wrap my head around the America gun debate. But I can see well enough to understand that you will ever get rid of those guns, and I fear the same goes for shootings, but on that account I hope that I'm very much wrong.

Question: Do you guys fear getting involved in a situation with a gunman?

I fear people who think of themselves as good guys with guns. A better description of too many of these folks would be insecure guys with guns. I worry about running into one of those assholes when he's had a drink or two and starts feeling disrespected by life, or when he sees someone who he thinks is a threat and starts shooting and hits bystanders instead.

I have encountered a bad guy with a gun IRL. I screamed, ran, and survived unharmed. Now, that was a terrifying experience, but it still didn't make me want a gun for myself.

I don't think that stricter gun control laws in the US would lead to armed thugs rampaging through the streets--that has not happened in other developed countries that have strict gun control--but unfortunately, my view is on the wrong side of the money. There are way more profits to be gained from fear-mongering and ramping up paranoia.

I boil down more so to fearing people who view the world of "good guys" vs "bad guys" who have power of almost any kind.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-10-2015, 12:51 PM
(04-10-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 11:47 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  One murder every 34 minutes.
One rape every 6 minutes.
One robbery every 1.5 minutes.
One assault every 42 seconds.
One forced entry burglary every 28 seconds.

Every year, millions are raped, assaulted, or robbed in America. Thousands are murdered. Just the other day a military veteran was walking with his wife in St Louis, leaving a baseball game when some thugs robbed his wife of her purse. They ran from the thugs, only for the husband to be shot in the back multiple times. He'll never walk again.

These things will never stop. Criminals will never stop raping, murdering, car jacking, robbing, assaulting.

Knowing that these things happen, and any of us can be a statistic, I carry a gun everywhere. You can be against guns all you want, until the day comes when you need one. You could end up like the husband and wife that were sleeping in bed when multiple assailants broke in, beat the husband, raped the wife while he was forced to watch, then shot him in the head while the wife watched. I'm sure they wished they had a gun when they heard the first window break.

When you're walking in the mall, and some lunatic pulls out a gun and starts killing people, you can be a victim and accept your fate, or you can defend yourself and at least have a fighting chance.

I'm curious...how many home invasions have you personally prevented in your own home? How many rapes have you personally prevented? Muggings -- depending on where you live might be more realistic...

Since you say this why you carry a gun everywhere, how many bank robberies have you personally thwarted?

I've never thwarted a bank robbery. Thankfully I've never been in a bank when it was robbed. I've also never had a home invader, although I did have someone in my backyard once that stared down the barrel of my gun. He took off over the fence. I don't know his intentions, but I wasn't going to give him the chance to find out. Knowing the neighborhood I used to live in it was probably a drug addict looking to break in and steal my stuff to pawn it.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
04-10-2015, 12:53 PM
(04-10-2015 12:48 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:46 PM)julep Wrote:  I fear people who think of themselves as good guys with guns. A better description of too many of these folks would be insecure guys with guns. I worry about running into one of those assholes when he's had a drink or two and starts feeling disrespected by life, or when he sees someone who he thinks is a threat and starts shooting and hits bystanders instead.

I boil down more so to fearing people who view the world of "good guys" vs "bad guys" who have power of almost any kind.

Unfortunately White Hat/Black Hat thinkers abound, and they seem to be rather easily manipulated by cynical people looking to make a buck. Sad
04-10-2015, 01:02 PM
[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root ...
(04-10-2015 12:11 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  "it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." -Ron Ramsey

Pascal's wager for guns

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-10-2015, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 01:54 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(04-10-2015 12:39 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:16 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  With increased guns comes more gun suicides and lethal accidents, in addition to people playing cop, and an increase in the shear saturation that does nothing but make it even easier for those who want a gun to get one. It's a feedback loop; the more guns there are, the easier they are for undesirables to get, which spurs on more sales out of fear, which adds more guns to the market, and the cycle continues.

The only people who benefit from the current state of affairs are gun manufactures and those who share in their profits, like the NRA and bought politicians.

Buying into that culture of fear will only feed more energy into the loop, not break us out of it. Drinking Beverage

Suicide will happen no matter what. No guns in France or Japan but they have a higher suicide rate than the U.S. Australia, Canada and the U.K. have strict gun laws, their suicide rates are similar to America.

Suicide Rate (per 100,000)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co...icide_rate

France - 12.3
Japan - 18.5
Australia - 10.6
Canada - 9.8
United Kingdom - 6.2
United States - 12.1

Suicide Rate by Firearms (per 100,000)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co...death_rate

France - 2.33
Japan - 0.04
Australia - 0.62
Canada - 1.6
United Kingdom - 0.17
United States - 6.7

(04-10-2015 12:39 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You make it sound like there are these back room deals where the NRA pays Republican politicians to vote against gun control. You don't think Republican politicians could think like Republican voters and truly support gun rights without needing to be bought? Or that even if they aren't gun owners, they know their constituents are so they vote the way they are expected? It has to be some conspiracy right?

When the public opinion polls peaked at 93% of Americans wanting our government to do something after Sandy Hook, I call 'bollocks' on the idea that all of the politicians who stonewalled any legislation as 'representing their constituents'. Of course some of them already agreed with the NRA position, the NRA funds campaigns to help get people elected who do agree with them.

This isn't some 'lol conspiracy' bullshit, it's a simple matter of fact that our country operates on legal bribery, and the NRA is a huge donor, and most of their money comes from gun manufactures. So the NRA doesn't represent the political will of their members, it represent gun manufacturers; and they have the money to spend to buy politicians, because it makes good business sense for them. They're simply doing what is in their best interest in the name of making a profit, and fuck everyone else who gets hurt along the way; not at all dissimilar to how tobacco corporations operated a few decades ago.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-10-2015, 01:10 PM
(04-10-2015 01:02 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  not at all dissimilar to how tobacco corporations operated a few decades ago.

And RJ Reynolds still makes money hand over fist.

Think Smith and Wesson is going anywhere soon????

I'm betting they'll be making stuff long after everyone present is dead, buried and forgotten...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.