[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 01:15 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 01:10 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 01:02 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  not at all dissimilar to how tobacco corporations operated a few decades ago.

And RJ Reynolds still makes money hand over fist.

Think Smith and Wesson is going anywhere soon????

I'm betting they'll be making stuff long after everyone present is dead, buried and forgotten...

Shot by products made by these fine firms? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
04-10-2015, 01:34 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(04-10-2015 01:02 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  not at all dissimilar to how tobacco corporations operated a few decades ago.

I'm betting they'll be making stuff long after everyone present is dead, buried and forgotten...

It's not as easy as they make it out to be to grasp the gun out of their cold dead hands.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-10-2015, 01:36 PM
(04-10-2015 01:34 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 01:10 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And RJ Reynolds still makes money hand over fist.

It's not as easy as they make it out to be to grasp the gun out of their cold dead hands.

You been experimenting? Ohmy

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-10-2015, 01:47 PM
(04-10-2015 12:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm curious...how many home invasions have you personally prevented in your own home?

One.

Simply reminding them that I had a gun was enough.

Thanks for replying. (On my phone and we all know what happens when I'm on that)

(04-10-2015 12:51 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm curious...how many home invasions have you personally prevented in your own home? How many rapes have you personally prevented? Muggings -- depending on where you live might be more realistic...

Since you say this why you carry a gun everywhere, how many bank robberies have you personally thwarted?

I've never thwarted a bank robbery. Thankfully I've never been in a bank when it was robbed. I've also never had a home invader, although I did have someone in my backyard once that stared down the barrel of my gun. He took off over the fence. I don't know his intentions, but I wasn't going to give him the chance to find out. Knowing the neighborhood I used to live in it was probably a drug addict looking to break in and steal my stuff to pawn it.

Well I'm glad no one was physically hurt.

Do you always carry a weapon because you're afraid something might happen, despite most days nothing does?

Years ago, my husband demanded that I carry pepper spray, which I did, on a keychain. But after so many years of never having to use it, I eventually stopped.

Thanks again for your reply. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-10-2015, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 02:04 PM by EvolutionKills.)

So what?

Should we have just continued to let them market to children? Should we not have put warning labels on their products? Should we have let them bury the evidence for the correlation between lung cancer and cigarette use?

Is any of that a good reason to not do anything now? Consider

ProTip: They now make a huge chunk of their profits from selling to developing markets in Asia, so now they're selling cigarettes to kids over there...

I'd rather Smith & Wesson not treat us the same way RJ Reynold treats Indonesia. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-10-2015, 01:57 PM
(04-10-2015 01:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:11 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  "it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." -Ron Ramsey

Pascal's wager for guns

Amusing, but inaccurate.

We know that guns exist and dangers exist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2015, 02:03 PM
[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root ...
(04-10-2015 01:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 01:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Pascal's wager for guns

Amusing, but inaccurate.

We know that guns exist and dangers exist.

Accurate and unfortunate that otherwise rational people use the same arguments theists do.

We also have the statistics and facts to demonstrate that that the odds of the needs to use a gun, are nowhere near what gun advocates assume. And certainly don't overwhelm the arguments against better legislation and regulations.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
04-10-2015, 02:04 PM
(04-10-2015 12:15 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Read the post before yours. Drinking Beverage

I did. But I'm thinking there's a difference in thinking you need a gun because of statistics, and to actively think about it when you are out and about (Perhaps not every time but reasonable often.. . what that might mean to you). I might have formulated my question a bit vague I guess.

I don't carry. I do think about these things. Having been a firefighter, I've had the long habit of noting exits, and thinking of the quickest way to them. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a gun anticipating this without a lot more training, so for the time being I suppose you could say I rely on wits.

For what it's worth, I have been robbed at gunpoint, as a liquor-store clerk. During that robbery I had easy and subtle access to a loaded .357. I was scared, but decided instead to go with my robbery training. It worked for me. I don't know if I would respond the same way nowadays.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-10-2015, 02:10 PM
RE: Another school shooting.
(01-10-2015 07:08 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 06:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  We have had so many school shootings here in recent years. My love for the second amendment is low right now.

My love for all of the amendments is low right now and I'm a retired trial lawyer. I spent my life fighting for the protection of my clients' constitutional rights. Freedom is a bitch and it is out of control. If you look carefully at our society, there are damned few people who can be trusted with the responsibility of possessing the rights secured by the constitution. I took an oath to support and defend the constitution when I started law school, again when I was admitted to the bar, and again when I joined the Army. However, many years ago I lost faith, not in the constitution, but in the people's ability to handle the rights secured by it and today, I would like to publicly burn that son of a bitch.
Figures a lawyer would abdicate burning the Constitution.
04-10-2015, 02:12 PM
(04-10-2015 02:03 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And certainly don't overwhelm the arguments against better legislation and regulations.

I believe the argument is more over what constitutes better regulation / legislation given that some aspects of the situation in the USA are unique. Also there are laws in place and changing them will involve a lot of challenges even if the changes are popular.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post