[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(05-10-2015 03:45 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Some things absolutely need to be handled. I'm a hardcore gun enthusiast. But people need to be more responsible. Criminals get guns usually on the black market. They deal in stolen guns. People need to keep their guns locked up or under their control. We need to keep criminals from stealing them, and we need to really prevent this shit

wez haz teh technology. Gun dealer in MD received death threats after saying he was going to sell them.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-10-2015, 04:13 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(05-10-2015 04:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 03:45 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Some things absolutely need to be handled. I'm a hardcore gun enthusiast. But people need to be more responsible. Criminals get guns usually on the black market. They deal in stolen guns. People need to keep their guns locked up or under their control. We need to keep criminals from stealing them, and we need to really prevent this shit

wez haz teh technology. Gun dealer in MD received death threats after saying he was going to sell them.

It's a good idea in theory. My worry, and many people's worry, is that criminals would learn how to disrupt the signal and make them inoperative. Or the government would develop a kill switch. These criminals can steal your credit card info at the gas pump, hack into your bank account while you're on Wi-Fi at Starbucks, I'm sure they'll find a way to deactivate your guns while their breaking into houses.

Edit: Plus, I don't want that oh shit moment "Fuck I forgot to change the batteries in my gun now I'm dead."

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
05-10-2015, 04:29 PM
(05-10-2015 04:13 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 04:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  wez haz teh technology. Gun dealer in MD received death threats after saying he was going to sell them.

It's a good idea in theory. My worry, and many people's worry, is that criminals would learn how to disrupt the signal and make them inoperative. Or the government would develop a kill switch. These criminals can steal your credit card info at the gas pump, hack into your bank account while you're on Wi-Fi at Starbucks, I'm sure they'll find a way to deactivate your guns while their breaking into houses.

Edit: Plus, I don't want that oh shit moment "Fuck I forgot to change the batteries in my gun now I'm dead."

Do you consider duds or misfires to be a good reason to rid yourself of guns?
05-10-2015, 04:45 PM
(05-10-2015 04:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 04:13 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's a good idea in theory. My worry, and many people's worry, is that criminals would learn how to disrupt the signal and make them inoperative. Or the government would develop a kill switch. These criminals can steal your credit card info at the gas pump, hack into your bank account while you're on Wi-Fi at Starbucks, I'm sure they'll find a way to deactivate your guns while their breaking into houses.

Do you consider duds or misfires to be a good reason to rid yourself of guns?
Of course not. With a revolver, all I have to do is pull the trigger again to the next round. With a semi auto, a quick racking of the slide to put a new round in the chamber. That's a big difference from a completely useless signal blocked weapon.

And 15 years of reloading my own ammo, never once had a round fail to fire. 10 years as a gunner in the U.S. Navy as a line coach and range master, maybe 2-3 bad rounds in the hundreds of thousands I've observed being fired.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
05-10-2015, 04:50 PM
"Smart Gun Technology" isn't....

Besides -- what if you're incapacitated - and your next best effort is to turn the gun over to someone else - who's not on "the list" of approved users???

You might as well hand them a stalk of broccoli......

A hint that the technology isn't even close to being reality????

No police department on the planet has issued guns with "smart gun" technology.....

(last I checked)

Maybe someday...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-10-2015, 04:56 PM
[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
2013:
Preschoolers killed with guns = 82
Police officers in the line of duty = 27

nyti.ms/1QRv1yH

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
05-10-2015, 05:02 PM
(05-10-2015 04:56 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  2013:
Preschoolers killed with guns = 82
Police officers in the line of duty = 27

nyti.ms/1QRv1yH
Stupid fucking observation...... And completely misleading.

Give us the number of preschoolers...
Then give us the number of police officers on duty....

We'll then see why the correlation is only relevant to your predisposition to banning guns....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Did you know that more people in the US per year die from furniture falling on them than from terrorism? (including pianos, couches, etc.)

More fun stats though but it's a manner of where is motivated and proper security measures needed.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-10-2015, 05:09 PM
(05-10-2015 05:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Did you know that more people in the US per year die from Pianos falling on them than from terrorism?

More fun stats though but it's a manner of where is motivated and proper security measures needed.

I never saw the one on pianos.... But I do recall more people died of bee stings than terrorism......

And vehicular death, cancer, and STD's kill far more people than guns -- but that doesn't stop most people from ripping off a quicky in the back seat, then having a smoke afterwards......

heh

05-10-2015, 05:12 PM
(05-10-2015 05:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 05:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Did you know that more people in the US per year die from Pianos falling on them than from terrorism?

I never saw the one on pianos.... But I do recall more people died of bee stings than terrorism......

And vehicular death, cancer, and STD's kill far more people than guns -- but that doesn't stop most people from ripping off a quicky in the back seat, then having a smoke afterwards......

heh

yeah I fixed it it's pianos/couches/fridges combined.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson