[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 05:13 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
Ahhh.. yeah -- couches are deadly......

They should make people register them....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 06:23 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root ...
(05-10-2015 05:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Did you know that more people in the US per year die from furniture falling on them than from terrorism? (including pianos, couches, etc.)

More fun stats though but it's a manner of where is motivated and proper security measures needed.

The stats I linked to from the article (that appears to have been unread) compares two pieces of information linked by a common factor, guns. Your comparison of people killed by pianos/fridges/couches to terrorism, have no link. That's comparing apples to oranges.

The stat is that one group who put themselves in harm's way to protect their community, have a lower overall number of fatalities than preschoolers by the same means, and is the exact opposite trend one might expect in a civilized country. This should give someone cause for concern and a reason to ponder why that is so.

Apparently it just caused a knee-jerk reaction to want to ignore/dismiss it. Which isn't unexpected I guess.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
05-10-2015, 05:37 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(05-10-2015 08:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I do not think that "More guns" is a good idea.

Never have.

I think more people TRAINED in how and when (and when not) to use them is a far better and more realistic approach.

I just read a statistic on FB and don't know wether the data is accurate, or wether it has been reviewed, but the statistic claims that there are now more guns in the US than citizens. Alarming if accurate however I don't know how one could come to an accurate figure. If anything you would estimate the figure to be low.

Anyone have any insight into this claim?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
05-10-2015, 05:38 PM
[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root ...
(05-10-2015 05:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 05:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Did you know that more people in the US per year die from furniture falling on them than from terrorism? (including pianos, couches, etc.)

More fun stats though but it's a manner of where is motivated and proper security measures needed.

The stats I linked to from the article (that appears to have been unread) compares two pieces of information linked by a common factor, guns. Your comparison of people killed by pianos/fridges/couches to terrorism, have no link. That's comparing apples to oranges.

The stat is that one group who put themselves in harm's way to protect their community, die at a frequency lower than preschoolers by the same means, and is the exact opposite trend one might expect in a civilized country. This should give someone cause for concern and a reason to ponder why that is so.

Apparently it just caused a knee-jerk reaction to want to ignore/dismiss it. Which isn't unexpected I guess.

Another link that won't require copy and pasting.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/opi...erer=&_r=0

-Rick
05-10-2015, 05:39 PM
(05-10-2015 05:37 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 08:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I do not think that "More guns" is a good idea.

Never have.

I think more people TRAINED in how and when (and when not) to use them is a far better and more realistic approach.

I just read a statistic on FB and don't know wether the data is accurate, or wether it has been reviewed, but the statistic claims that there are now more guns in the US than citizens. Alarming if accurate however I don't know how one could come to an accurate figure. If anything you would estimate the figure to be low.

Anyone have any insight into this claim?

Only 45% of the US population claims to have guns in their home, but on average they own 7 or so guns a piece. So, that would be congruent with guns outnumbering citizens here. Consider

-Rick
05-10-2015, 06:05 PM
(05-10-2015 01:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 01:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There's still some boundaries, man. If it's pretense, I'm Undecided

When he rolls honestly, he comes up with enough "against the odds" rolls to be a keeper. But I'm not up to instigating another "let's get BJ positive" thread, after the last abuse. Undecided
I don't know. I think there is enough room here for him, pops, and Alla. It's a balance. Too much and you've got problems, too little and you've got circle jerking.

This is why I wasn't heavy handed on the ban hammer (something that drew heavy criticism from some). I knew all types are needed for a healthy forum. I've been on the Internet for close to 22 years now. This stuff all follows a pattern... always has.

The trick is to discern the offensive twats among the rest of the trollish dummies.

BJ is offensive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2015, 06:14 PM
(05-10-2015 05:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

The stat is that one group who put themselves in harm's way to protect their community, die at a frequency lower than preschoolers by the same means, and is the exact opposite trend one might expect in a civilized country. This should give someone cause for concern and a reason to ponder why that is so.

You quoted raw numbers, not rates. Translate that into deaths/thousands and the cops are in more danger.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2015, 06:16 PM
(05-10-2015 06:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 05:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The stats I linked to from the article (that appears to have been unread) compares two pieces of information linked by a common factor, guns. Your comparison of people killed by pianos/fridges/couches to terrorism, have no link. That's comparing apples to oranges.

You quoted raw numbers, not rates. Translate that into deaths/thousands and the cops are in more danger.

Yes, they are absolute numbers.

No, that wouldn't justify even the absolute numbers being higher considering that only one of those two groups should be in harm's way.

-Rick
05-10-2015, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 06:32 PM by Emma.)
(05-10-2015 03:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Are we just going to ignore the fact that kineo posted?

WB

(05-10-2015 03:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 03:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Are we just going to ignore the fact that kineo posted?

WB

I was going to but Shabaka gets ducked up on my phone.

Welcome back kineo

Thanks y'all! Big Grin Good to see ya!

Also, forgive me if this has already been posted, but in a way, it sums up some of my thoughts- but not all of them:

[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
05-10-2015, 06:24 PM
(05-10-2015 06:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 05:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The stats I linked to from the article (that appears to have been unread) compares two pieces of information linked by a common factor, guns. Your comparison of people killed by pianos/fridges/couches to terrorism, have no link. That's comparing apples to oranges.

I changed my wording to do away with "frequency" to make it more clear and eliminate a rate from the numbers that is inherently lacking

-Rick