[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 06:46 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
Hillary Clinton wants gun firms liable for shootings:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34447239

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ted Tucker's post
05-10-2015, 06:53 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
Maybe Banjo can way in on this?:

Australians Call For International Boycott Of U.S. Travel Until Gun Reform Is Passed:

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/australia...is-passed/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
05-10-2015, 06:57 PM
(05-10-2015 06:46 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Hillary Clinton wants gun firms liable for shootings:

Absolutely ridiculous. Can I file a lawsuit against Louisville Slugger if someone hits me with a baseball bat? If someone in a Chevy runs me over can my family sue General Motors?

It will never fly.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
05-10-2015, 06:57 PM
(05-10-2015 06:46 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Hillary Clinton wants gun firms liable for shootings:

I think the issue here is that if a shooting victim's family sues a gunmaker and loses (which they will) they are held responsible for the gun maker's legal expenses. Those lawsuits should be dismissed so the family doesn't experience even more tragedy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-10-2015, 07:28 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation

This is hilariously stupid as DH has already pointed out.

I read somewhere that the #1 tool used to murder people is a baseball bat.

But if Clinton is serious, I suppose we can start suing all manufactorurs of baseball bats, automobiles, knives (of any kind, including butter knives), hockey sticks, pool cues, concrete makers, steel companies that produce rebar, pillows, toasters (in conjunction with bathtub manufacturers?), any and every water company, anyone and everyone who has a hand in allowing anyone to have access to gasoline, all manufacturers of any device that produces fire, ... Okay tired of typing. You get the gist.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-10-2015, 07:31 PM
[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(05-10-2015 06:57 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  

Absolutely ridiculous. Can I file a lawsuit against Louisville Slugger if someone hits me with a baseball bat? If someone in a Chevy runs me over can my family sue General Motors?

It will never fly.

Lousiville slugger doesn't market weapons. They don't market bats as weapons. They don't try to make weapons seem cool. They market objects used in a game that also happen to be able to be used as weapons in a pinch. I mean, anything club-like could be used similarly. Gun manufacturers make weapons. Sometimes tools for hunting, sure, but almost all weapons.

They also benefit from the heightened fear the brews as a result of situations like this. People are afraid of other people with guns- so the answer? Buy a gun to protect yourself. People are afraid that the government will take away guns. The answer? Buy up as many guns as you can afford before they become outlawed.

Gun manufacturers benefit from lax gun control, because more sales. Loop holes mean more sales. So, let's get a lobbying group like the NRA to more fear that your rights are going to be infringed upon- while pressing for fewer laws, less oversight, and less transparency. So you should buy more guns while you can! And ammo! And mods! And 30 round mags! You'll especially need those assault rifles when the government needs to be overthrown!

I grew up with guns. My dad is a gun owner. I enjoy firing weapons. It's fun! I'm not very good at it, but I really enjoyed that AR-15. I really wanted one myself, for a while. But after Sandy Hook, it's just not worth it to me anymore. It's just... too... fucking... much.

We've got an insane amount of guns in this country. And gun violence is out of control.

[Image: gunsdeaths2.006.0.jpg]

I think some serious gun control is necessary. I mean- it's roughly the same amount of deaths as auto accidents. And you all know every other fucker out there on the road can't drive for shit!

[Image: gunsdeaths2.005.0.jpg]

Img source: http://www.vox.com/2015/10/3/9446193/gun...-terrorism

(05-10-2015 06:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I think the issue here is that if a shooting victim's family sues a gunmaker and loses (which they will) they are held responsible for the gun maker's legal expenses. Those lawsuits should be dismissed so the family doesn't experience even more tragedy.

If it were a class action law suit, then the risk is quite a bit more distributed. I'd imagine we'd see a rather large case against them.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
05-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Statistics -- how to prove your point by misleading people....

I'm not even going to bother checking -- (because I know how the anti-gun freaks work)

but...

They'll put justified self defense shootings, righteous police shootings, and suicides in on their numbers as "firearm deaths"....

In other words..... They're willing to lie about shit, to "prove their point"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-10-2015, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 08:20 PM by Emma.)
(05-10-2015 07:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Statistics -- how to prove your point by misleading people....

I'm not even going to bother checking -- (because I know how the anti-gun freaks work)

but...

They'll put justified self defense shootings, righteous police shootings, and suicides in on their numbers as "firearm deaths"....

In other words..... They're willing to lie about shit, to "prove their point"....

Ok, but... same for pro-gun-nuts. Angel

Edit:

I mean, this is the shit that happens when people think that guns prevent violence:
A man shoots the victim of a car-jacking while attempting to stop the car-jacking in progress. He failed to stop the car-jacking, shot the victim in the head, and didn't bother to stick around and help that innocent guy that he just shot.

I know, that's anecdotal. It's one incident out of many. But the reality is, most people who have guns aren't trained to intervene to save someone's life. They will overreact to a situation (in this case, completely escalating to a nearly fatal level), or simply be caught off guard.
05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
(05-10-2015 08:11 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 07:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Statistics -- how to prove your point by misleading people....

but...

Ok, but... same for pro-gun-nuts. Angel

Edit:

I mean, this is the shit that happens when people think that guns prevent violence:
A man shoots the victim of a car-jacking while attempting to stop the car-jacking in progress. He failed to stop the car-jacking, shot the victim in the head, and didn't bother to stick around and help that innocent guy that he just shot.

I know, that's anecdotal. It's one incident out of many. But the reality is, most people who have guns aren't trained to intervene to save someone's life. They will overreact to a situation (in this case, completely escalating to a nearly fatal level), or simply be caught off guard.

I heard about that story too. I guess it was believed at first that the guy was shot by mistake, but the local ABC news on TV reported that after being checked at the hospital the guys head injury came from being hit on the head by the carjackers not a gun shot. This article also says the injury came from being hit on the head as well. http://abc13.com/news/witness-who-fired-...-/1004386/

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
05-10-2015, 08:39 PM
(05-10-2015 07:31 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 06:57 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Absolutely ridiculous. Can I file a lawsuit against Louisville Slugger if someone hits me with a baseball bat? If someone in a Chevy runs me over can my family sue General Motors?

It will never fly.

Lousiville slugger doesn't market weapons. They don't market bats as weapons. They don't try to make weapons seem cool. They market objects used in a game that also happen to be able to be used as weapons in a pinch. I mean, anything club-like could be used similarly. Gun manufacturers make weapons. Sometimes tools for hunting, sure, but almost all weapons.

They also benefit from the heightened fear the brews as a result of situations like this. People are afraid of other people with guns- so the answer? Buy a gun to protect yourself. People are afraid that the government will take away guns. The answer? Buy up as many guns as you can afford before they become outlawed.

Gun manufacturers benefit from lax gun control, because more sales. Loop holes mean more sales. So, let's get a lobbying group like the NRA to more fear that your rights are going to be infringed upon- while pressing for fewer laws, less oversight, and less transparency. So you should buy more guns while you can! And ammo! And mods! And 30 round mags! You'll especially need those assault rifles when the government needs to be overthrown!

I grew up with guns. My dad is a gun owner. I enjoy firing weapons. It's fun! I'm not very good at it, but I really enjoyed that AR-15. I really wanted one myself, for a while. But after Sandy Hook, it's just not worth it to me anymore. It's just... too... fucking... much.

We've got an insane amount of guns in this country. And gun violence is out of control.

[Image: gunsdeaths2.006.0.jpg]

I think some serious gun control is necessary. I mean- it's roughly the same amount of deaths as auto accidents. And you all know every other fucker out there on the road can't drive for shit!

[Image: gunsdeaths2.005.0.jpg]

Img source: http://www.vox.com/2015/10/3/9446193/gun...-terrorism

(05-10-2015 06:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think the issue here is that if a shooting victim's family sues a gunmaker and loses (which they will) they are held responsible for the gun maker's legal expenses. Those lawsuits should be dismissed so the family doesn't experience even more tragedy.

If it were a class action law suit, then the risk is quite a bit more distributed. I'd imagine we'd see a rather large case against them.

Yes. I say hit the gun manufacturers and their puppet, the holy church of the NRA, right in the only place that they truly care about, their pocket book. Go after their outrageous profits. They could give two shits about the shootings except for the fact that it's great marketing! "Great another shooting Sell Sell Sell" $ $ $ This has never been about responsible gun owners.