[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 08:21 AM by Ted Tucker.)
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 07:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sorry Ted -- I'm not feeling very suicidal -- so that screws your data up -- as it accounts suicide as a danger from guns....

But if having a gun in YOUR house makes you want to off yourself - feel free not to own a gun..

My oldest daughter suffers from depression. The last thing I want in my house is a gun...

An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older or about one in four adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 08:20 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 08:12 AM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 07:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sorry Ted -- I'm not feeling very suicidal -- so that screws your data up -- as it accounts suicide as a danger from guns....

But if having a gun in YOUR house makes you want to off yourself - feel free not to own a gun..

My oldest daughter suffers from depression. The last thing I want in my house is a gun...
A gun doesn't make it more likely that someone will kill themselves. Just look at countries like Japan and France. No guns, higher rate of suicide. The U.K. and Australia have very similar rates of suicide as America. Guns are rare in those countries.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
06-10-2015, 08:22 AM
(06-10-2015 08:20 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:12 AM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  My oldest daughter suffers from depression. The last thing I want in my house is a gun...
A gun doesn't make it more likely that someone will kill themselves. Just look at countries like Japan and France. No guns, higher rate of suicide. The U.K. and Australia have very similar rates of suicide as America. Guns are rare in those countries.

An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older or about one in four adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like Ted Tucker's post
06-10-2015, 08:23 AM
(06-10-2015 08:12 AM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  My oldest daughter suffers from depression. The last thing I want in my house is a gun...

Guns have a success rate in suicides of >90% compared to <20% for most other means.

No one ever said simply having a gun makes a person more likely to be suicidal, but a person already on the spectrum of suicidal tendencies with access to a weapon that almost guarantees a successful suicide attempt is a recipe for disaster as most suicide attempts are impulsive.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-10-2015, 08:25 AM
(01-10-2015 09:56 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Because we got a lot of crazies.

And a easy access to weapons that can mow down people. Seriously why are people owning assault rifles?

That's right. The rifle made him do it...
06-10-2015, 08:26 AM
(06-10-2015 08:25 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:56 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  And a easy access to weapons that can mow down people. Seriously why are people owning assault rifles?

That's right. The rifle made him do it...

Who ever claimed the rifle "made him do it?"

That is a straw man Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-10-2015, 08:33 AM
(06-10-2015 08:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:06 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  So what would you suggest? A ban on guns? How would that work? Would people with guns come to get other people's guns?

I think we should just nuke the lot of ya Dodgy

Nuking Canadians might prove ineffective. The ones on the 49th are less likely to have guns and the rest of us are spread pretty thin... Wink
06-10-2015, 08:36 AM
(06-10-2015 08:12 AM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  

So don't get a gun. Pretty simple solution there..
06-10-2015, 08:37 AM

Easy access to a gun makes an attempted suicide more likely to succeed. You can fuck up trying to hang or cut yourself, you can freak out an call 911 after swallowing a bottle of pills; you don't get a second chance when you put the barrel up to your head and pull the trigger. Plus, that's way easier and takes less time; it is a suicide enabler.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-10-2015, 08:39 AM
(06-10-2015 08:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:25 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  That's right. The rifle made him do it...

Who ever claimed the rifle "made him do it?"

That is a straw man Drinking Beverage

Ummm...yeah....not everyone gets my sense of humour I suppose..