[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 09:58 PM
RE: Another school shooting.
Undecided

Spoilered because I already know I'm a bit off and some of you might be tired of hearing screwed up views on such things. Plus I've been in a mood the past day or two that's hard to describe to normal people, perhaps due to coming to terms with the idea that I may be heading off for a proxy brawl with Russia in the not so distant future, something I both dread and at the same time look forward to just for a change of pace. Fun times, fun times...

I live my life assuming I will in fact be randomly killed. That, to me, is the only rational way to live an unpredictable life as a mortal human being without being paranoid. Wake up every morning under the assumption that there is a chance it will be your last, and deal accordingly. I've got my will signed. I've got my notes written. I'm not worried about it because I accept it as an inevitability. None of us are making it out alive in the end, and most of us won't get to decide how we go. And this isn't unique to America or modern times. There's always been and always will be something out there waiting to take you out. If I happen to make it to old age, retirement, and a natural death, so be it.

These people didn't. I feel sad for them, as sad as I'm able to feel, anyway, and genuinely empathize with their parents. My kids are about the only ones in my life whose deaths I think I'd be emotionally affected by at this point, and I don't envy anyone who has to face that pain.

But... As tired as everyone is of stuff like this happening, I'm also tired of people acting like violence is some kind of anomaly. This shit happens several thousand times every day, has always, and will for the foreseeable future continue. And you know what they say... “Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.” Nonetheless, I'm truly sorry that this particular instance happened inside the boundaries of the bubble we actually choose to give a shit about.

"The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai." Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
01-10-2015, 09:59 PM
(01-10-2015 09:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:56 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  And a easy access to weapons that can mow down people. Seriously why are people owning assault rifles?

Idk, I think those types should be restricted to military.

So do I. I think this country needs more gun control.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-10-2015, 10:00 PM
(01-10-2015 09:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:45 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it's really not the good guy with a gun is a myth with no numbers to back it up. Owning a gun only increases you chance of dying a gun related death.

So that guy who stopped the bank robber is a myth? Might want to tell him he does not exist because he may not realize it.

There are women who have lifted cars, one off events do not really mean anything but looking at the whole you much more likely to end up killing yourself or a loved one than stopping a crime by something like tenfold.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-10-2015, 10:01 PM
(01-10-2015 09:59 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Idk, I think those types should be restricted to military.

So do I. I think this country needs more gun control.

Yes I think handguns and hunting rifles should be the options for civilians. Everything else reserved for Police, military etc.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
01-10-2015, 10:02 PM
(01-10-2015 10:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  So that guy who stopped the bank robber is a myth? Might want to tell him he does not exist because he may not realize it.

There are women who have lifted cars, one off events do not really mean anything but looking at the whole you much more likely to end up killing yourself or a loved one than stopping a crime by something like tenfold.

I can't disagree with that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
01-10-2015, 10:08 PM
(01-10-2015 10:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:59 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So do I. I think this country needs more gun control.

Yes I think handguns and hunting rifles should be the options for civilians. Everything else reserved for Police, military etc.

No, cops shouldn't have any gun but a weak pistols, and hunting rifles should be used in a library style, not at home. The rest i agree

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-10-2015, 10:10 PM
(01-10-2015 10:08 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yes I think handguns and hunting rifles should be the options for civilians. Everything else reserved for Police, military etc.

No, cops shouldn't have any gun but a weak pistols, and hunting rifles should be used in a library style, not at home. The rest i agree

You mean like put up hunting posts around hunting areas where you can rent guns for like a timed session?

01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
(01-10-2015 10:10 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:08 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  No, cops shouldn't have any gun but a weak pistols, and hunting rifles should be used in a library style, not at home. The rest i agree

You mean like put up hunting posts around hunting areas where you can rent guns for like a timed session?

Yes

01-10-2015, 10:16 PM
(01-10-2015 10:14 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:10 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  You mean like put up hunting posts around hunting areas where you can rent guns for like a timed session?

Yes

Could bring in more money for the government.

01-10-2015, 10:17 PM
It must be nice believing you live in such an oversimplified world Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post