[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 02:23 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 02:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Exactly what correlation is it trying to demonstrate? Because any attempt at linking gun ownership to gun murder rate completely falls apart once you remove the United States as an outlier.

I don't think it's attempting to illustrate a correlation. What I think it's doing is pointing out that your firearm homicides per population unit are pretty high, comparative to every other developed nation excluding Mexico, and that therefore there's clearly *some* reason for that. Whether it be rates of gun ownership or something else... that is not possible to infer from the graph as far as I can see.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
06-10-2015, 02:28 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 02:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Exactly what correlation is it trying to demonstrate? Because any attempt at linking gun ownership to gun murder rate completely falls apart once you remove the United States as an outlier.

I don't think it's attempting to illustrate a correlation. What I think it's doing is pointing out that your firearm homicides per population unit are pretty high, comparative to every other developed nation excluding Mexico, and that therefore there's clearly *some* reason for that. Whether it be rates of gun ownership or something else... that is not possible to infer from the graph as far as I can see.

We've got problems, no doubt about it. What we don't have, however, is unlimited resources with which to deal with those problems. It would therefore make sense to let the data determine which solutions to pursue rather than going on a witch hunt for something just because we're not personally comfortable with it.

'Murican Canadian
06-10-2015, 02:29 PM
(06-10-2015 02:28 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't think it's attempting to illustrate a correlation. What I think it's doing is pointing out that your firearm homicides per population unit are pretty high, comparative to every other developed nation excluding Mexico, and that therefore there's clearly *some* reason for that. Whether it be rates of gun ownership or something else... that is not possible to infer from the graph as far as I can see.

We've got problems, no doubt about it. What we don't have, however, is unlimited resources with which to deal with those problems. It would therefore make sense to let the data determine which solutions to pursue rather than going on a witch hunt for something just because we're not personally comfortable with it.

Which is why Congress voting to uphold the CDC ban on researching gun violence is even more infuriating.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-10-2015, 02:30 PM
(06-10-2015 02:28 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't think it's attempting to illustrate a correlation. What I think it's doing is pointing out that your firearm homicides per population unit are pretty high, comparative to every other developed nation excluding Mexico, and that therefore there's clearly *some* reason for that. Whether it be rates of gun ownership or something else... that is not possible to infer from the graph as far as I can see.

Changing gun laws and regulations isn't because of discomfort with guns. It is because of discomfort with the data that has been presented showing the anomaly that is the US with respect to its gun violence compared to other developed nations.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-10-2015, 02:35 PM
(06-10-2015 02:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Which is why Congress voting to uphold the CDC ban on researching gun violence is even more infuriating.

This I cannot understand at all. Has *anyone* defended this? Is there any defence? Is it some massive breach of freedom? How the fuck did it even get banned in the first place? A ban on research??? Like, "we would rather not know, just let things stay as they are". That's just... disgusting on so many levels.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-10-2015, 02:37 PM
(06-10-2015 02:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 02:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Which is why Congress voting to uphold the CDC ban on researching gun violence is even more infuriating.

This I cannot understand at all. Has *anyone* defended this? Is there any defence? Is it some massive breach of freedom? How the fuck did it even get banned in the first place? A ban on research??? Like, "we would rather not know, just let things stay as they are". That's just... disgusting on so many levels.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
(06-10-2015 02:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  

The ban on research has been decades long actually. This was a continuation of the ban on the CDC to do the research

-Rick
America is a developed 1st world nation with a 3rd world drug/gang/illegal immigrant problem. I would like to know if the other "developed" countries suffer from the same issues.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
06-10-2015, 02:39 PM
(06-10-2015 02:37 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  America is a developed 1st world nation with a 3rd world drug/gang/illegal immigrant problem. I would like to know if the other "developed" countries suffer from the same issues.

Did you just compare America's drug problem with that of 3rd world countries?

How did you come to the conclusion that America's drug problem is equivalent to that of a third world country?

-Rick
06-10-2015, 02:42 PM
(06-10-2015 02:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 02:37 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  America is a developed 1st world nation with a 3rd world drug/gang/illegal immigrant problem. I would like to know if the other "developed" countries suffer from the same issues.

Did you just compare America's drug problem with that of 3rd world countries?

How did you come to the conclusion that America's drug problem is equivalent to that of a third world country?

I meant the barbarism that accompanies those issues. Turf wars, mass shootings etc.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]