[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 04:12 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 03:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 01:00 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Yes let's take a look at Japan and France as they compare to the U.S. :

Why did they exclude Mexico?

My guess is a lack of reliable data. My son does research for the UN in Africa, currently in South Sudan. His job is to compile reliable data for what is needed as far as foreign aid. It is appalling how little is known of even simple basic census information and how unreliable any of the existing data is. It is hard enough compiling consistent reliable data for highly Developed Nations like the US.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ted Tucker's post
06-10-2015, 04:20 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 04:12 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 03:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why did they exclude Mexico?

My guess is a lack of reliable data. My son does research for the UN in Africa, currently in South Sudan. His job is to compile reliable data for what is needed as far as foreign aid. It is appalling how little is known of even simple basic census information and how unreliable any of the existing data is. It is hard enough compiling consistent reliable data for highly Developed Nations like the US.

They got Mexico at 10.1/100,000 (doesn't count machete deaths). And I call foul on that graph. It looks like countries were excluded because they would raise the Y-Axis by so much that every country in that original graph would be imperceptible. ... But at least it's not as bad as Chaffetz's attempt at a misleading graph which was just fucking stupid.

#sigh
06-10-2015, 04:22 PM
(06-10-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 03:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why did they exclude Mexico?

And the winner is .....
Honduras at 64.8/100,000. Well done Honduras, well done.
[Image: guns.jpg]

Remind me to never fucking go to Honduras on holiday.

When I was on Roatan Bay Islands Honduras a few years back a crew member of the ship I was on was murdered(shot for his wallet) the day we went ashore.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
06-10-2015, 04:32 PM
(06-10-2015 04:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 04:12 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  My guess is a lack of reliable data. My son does research for the UN in Africa, currently in South Sudan. His job is to compile reliable data for what is needed as far as foreign aid. It is appalling how little is known of even simple basic census information and how unreliable any of the existing data is. It is hard enough compiling consistent reliable data for highly Developed Nations like the US.

They got Mexico at 10.1/100,000 (doesn't count machete deaths). And I call foul on that graph. It looks like countries were excluded because they would raise the Y-Axis by so much that every country in that original graph would be imperceptible. ... But at least it's not as bad as Chaffetz's attempt at a misleading graph which was just fucking stupid.

Thanks GirlyMan, I officially retract my graph pending better data. The stats for the US are alarming enough regardless who you stack us up against.

06-10-2015, 04:32 PM
RE:[split]Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
And the winner of highest suicide by gun rate is ...

El Salvador at 6.8/100,000 followed closely by the US at 6.7/100,000. Let's give 'em a hand folks. Clap

#sigh
06-10-2015, 04:38 PM
(06-10-2015 04:22 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Remind me to never fucking go to Honduras on holiday.

When I was on Roatan Bay Islands Honduras a few years back a crew member of the ship I was on was murdered(shot for his wallet) the day we went ashore.

Never get out of the boat.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-10-2015, 04:40 PM
I wasn't certain where to put this but... since this is the latest gun thread ...

I'll just leave this here.

Caution: not a feel good kinda article. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-10-2015, 04:49 PM
(06-10-2015 04:40 PM)kim Wrote:  I wasn't certain where to put this but... since this is the latest gun thread ...

I'll just leave this here.

Caution: not a feel good kinda article. Undecided

Yeah I posted this earlier. We do need better laws for gun storage. Not crazy like DC laws where your gun has to be locked up and taken apart. But at least locked up when not under your direct control.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
(06-10-2015 07:26 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 06:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Funny how the numbers turn up, isn't it??

The problem with applying statistical numbers to any given population is that any given population is comprised of people - and people are notoriously predictable - at doing unpredictable things...

Getting people to behave well, is like herding cats.

Just ran the numbers to check Chas's claim that it is more dangerous to be a cop. I'm working with some very rough numbers here of 319 million people, 2.5 million cops, 12,000 total gun homicides and 25 cops killed with firearms per year. Using those numbers the gun homicide victim rate in the general population is 3.76 per 100,000 annually. For the police it is 1 per 100,000. Based on those numbers it looks like it is more dangerous to be a civilian than it is to be a cop.

Chas, if my base assumptions or my math are wrong please feel free to correct me.

It was school children, not the general population.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2015, 05:00 PM
(06-10-2015 08:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:20 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  A gun doesn't make it more likely that someone will kill themselves. Just look at countries like Japan and France. No guns, higher rate of suicide. The U.K. and Australia have very similar rates of suicide as America. Guns are rare in those countries.

Easy access to a gun makes an attempted suicide more likely to succeed. You can fuck up trying to hang or cut yourself, you can freak out an call 911 after swallowing a bottle of pills; you don't get a second chance when you put the barrel up to your head and pull the trigger. Plus, that's way easier and takes less time; it is a suicide enabler.

Why do you want to interfere with people's god-given right to off themselves? Gasp

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user