[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 07:02 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 05:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 03:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  This one I can't see how it would fly. Can make laws restricting advertising I guess. No scare mongering, warnings on guns similar to warnings on cigarettes "Warning: Firing a gun can kill." That sort of thing.

There are already warnings on guns and in the manuals.

I haven't thought this out fully but maybe the precedent would be to go down the same road as with the Tobacco companies:

http://time.com/3016961/23-6-billion-law...awake-now/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 07:07 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(06-10-2015 06:41 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I don't believe the founders meant for private citizens to keep cannons in their homes.

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland I can own a cannon without even registering it. It's treated the same as a black powder musket.

#sigh
06-10-2015, 07:09 PM
(06-10-2015 06:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 06:41 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Now that would be a sight to see.

But to answer your question, I believe common small arms are all the constitution was meant to protect.

So at the time the Bill of Rights was drafted common small arms looked like this.

[Image: pistol.jpg]

(06-10-2015 06:41 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I don't believe the founders meant for private citizens to keep cannons in their homes.

Do you think the 2nd Amendment meant for private citizens to keep small arms like this?

[Image: mac10_1.jpg]

I really am not dicking with you DarkLord. I am ambivalent on this topic because I see both merit and holes in all the arguments.

I see your point, but they didn't have internet and computers back then either, obviously the first amendment still protects speech conducted on the internet.

Today's military infantry use a variety of modern small arms. The people should at least match those weapons.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 02:26 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(06-10-2015 06:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 06:41 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Now that would be a sight to see.

But to answer your question, I believe common small arms are all the constitution was meant to protect.

So at the time the Bill of Rights was drafted common small arms looked like this.

[Image: pistol.jpg]

Do you think the 2nd Amendment meant for private citizens to keep small arms like this?

[Image: mac10_1.jpg]

I really am not dicking with you DarkLord. I am ambivalent on this topic because I see both merit and holes in all the arguments.

Rights don't necessarily apply to only technologies extant when the BoR was drawn up. Were that true, freedom of speech wouldn't extend to anything typed, the ban on cruel and unusual punishment would cover execution by power drill, and so on.
06-10-2015, 08:15 PM
(06-10-2015 04:22 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Remind me to never fucking go to Honduras on holiday.

When I was on Roatan Bay Islands Honduras a few years back a crew member of the ship I was on was murdered(shot for his wallet) the day we went ashore.

Wow, never met anyone else that had been to Roatan. Beautiful islands! Except for the apparent murder, I guess. Confused
06-10-2015, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 08:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-10-2015 07:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I see your point, but they didn't have internet and computers back then either, obviously the first amendment still protects speech conducted on the internet.

The First Amendment is also being stretched into new territory by technology that the Founders could not have possibly anticipated. Does the First Amendment protect me from gaming social media so that I can manipulate it so that one political position appears to be overwhelming preferred than another when it's not? PRC does this very effecitvely every day.

(06-10-2015 07:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Today's military infantry use a variety of modern small arms. The people should at least match those weapons.

I don't believe you believe that. So if the military uses Mac-10s do you believe civilians should too? A follow-on question, since the military does not use Mac-10s do you think civilians should be entitled to?

#sigh
06-10-2015, 08:29 PM
(06-10-2015 08:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 07:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I see your point, but they didn't have internet and computers back then either, obviously the first amendment still protects speech conducted on the internet.

The First Amendment is also being stretched into new territory by technology that the Founders could not have possibly anticipated. Does the First Amendment protect me from gaming social media so that I can manipulate it so that one political position appears to be overwhelming preferred than another when it's not?

(06-10-2015 07:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Today's military infantry use a variety of modern small arms. The people should at least match those weapons.

I don't believe you believe that. Grenades are small arms. Do I have a 2nd Amendment right to own them?
Technically, grenades fall under light weapons/explosives under the SALW protocall. Small arms are handguns, carbines, rifles, and light machine guns. (I was a gunner in the Navy so I'm aware of the nomenclature)

[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
06-10-2015, 08:39 PM
(06-10-2015 08:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Technically, grenades fall under light weapons/explosives under the SALW protocall. Small arms are handguns, carbines, rifles, and light machine guns. (I was a gunner in the Navy so I'm aware of the nomenclature)

Yeah, that's why I edited it to Mac-10s because I realized grenades could lead to technicalities. I was a MM in the USN so I got to scoop the bilges while you shit on me. I was a Nuke MM so at least I knew I was fucking much smarter than you while I scooped your shit. Didn't make me feel any better.

#sigh
06-10-2015, 08:54 PM
(06-10-2015 08:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Technically, grenades fall under light weapons/explosives under the SALW protocall. Small arms are handguns, carbines, rifles, and light machine guns. (I was a gunner in the Navy so I'm aware of the nomenclature)

Yeah, that's why I edited it to Mac-10s because I realized grenades could lead to technicalities. I was a MM in the USN so I got to scoop the bilges while you shit on me. I was a Nuke MM so at least I knew I was fucking much smarter than you while I scooped your shit. Didn't make me feel any better.

Awesome. Any other squids around here?

06-10-2015, 08:56 PM
(06-10-2015 08:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'd rather have an active shooter going full auto with a MAC-10 than a similarly chambered semi-auto handgun. Then at least I'd know they have to change magazines about every second or two Tongue No point to make really, just being a smartass.

'Murican Canadian