[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 10:18 PM
RE: Another school shooting.
(01-10-2015 10:17 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It must be nice believing you live in such an oversimplified world Tongue

Anyone who has ever had to drive through a roundabout knows that is not true.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 10:24 PM
(01-10-2015 10:08 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yes I think handguns and hunting rifles should be the options for civilians. Everything else reserved for Police, military etc.

No, cops shouldn't have any gun but a weak pistols, and hunting rifles should be used in a library style, not at home. The rest i agree

Define weak pistol.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-10-2015, 10:26 PM
(01-10-2015 10:24 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:08 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  No, cops shouldn't have any gun but a weak pistols, and hunting rifles should be used in a library style, not at home. The rest i agree

Define weak pistol.

One that does not take one shot to kill.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-10-2015, 10:27 PM
(01-10-2015 10:26 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:24 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Define weak pistol.

One that does not take one shot to kill.

I can do that with a well placed marble from my slingshot. Squirt guns maybe?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
01-10-2015, 10:27 PM
(01-10-2015 10:08 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yes I think handguns and hunting rifles should be the options for civilians. Everything else reserved for Police, military etc.

No, cops shouldn't have any gun but a weak pistols, and hunting rifles should be used in a library style, not at home. The rest i agree

It is not hard to manufacture guns and becoming easier by the day. You can build your own CNC machine. Your model may have worked 100 years ago but people are already 3 printing gun parts. You can buy machine tools for next to nothing. I'm not saying your model is bad. I am saying that if time hasn't already past it by, its only a few years away before it does.
01-10-2015, 10:33 PM
(01-10-2015 10:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:26 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  One that does not take one shot to kill.

I can do that with a well placed marble from my slingshot. Squirt guns maybe?

I agree that a sling shot can kill. Todays shooter could have used a sling shot and potentially killed/wounded just as many as he actually did today. However some how I think he would have gotten tackled before the casualties hit double digits.
01-10-2015, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 10:47 PM by yakherder.)
(01-10-2015 10:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I can do that with a well placed marble from my slingshot. Squirt guns maybe?

I agree that a sling shot can kill. Todays shooter could have used a sling shot and potentially killed/wounded just as many as he actually did today. However some how I think he would have gotten tackled before the casualties hit double digits.

Definitely. And even with the most lethal slingshot ammunition it'd still be a lucky hit that could kill in one shot. I'm just being a smartass as I roll my eyes at the specifics of the gun control ideas that people who don't understand guns try to come up with, because they usually just end up being ridiculous. And that's completely independent of the debate as to whether or not we should implement gun controls in the first place. Most of the laws just don't make rational sense in regards to trying to accomplish something meaningful.

Edit: To expand on the rationality of a weak gun being one that doesn't get one shot kills...

Senior Chief Mike Day was shot 27 times with an AK47. 7.62 is not generally considered weak ammunition. It and 5.56 are essentially the two standards for those rifles we like to call assault rifles. Meanwhile, a 22 pistol is among the less powerful of those which we'd consider standard. Most of the time it takes several shots to bring someone down. Nonetheless, a single well placed shot can be immediately fatal. Taking that into consideration, I was merely trying to wrap my head around the idea of what kind of gun we'd define as weak, and what logic we could possibly base that definition off of.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-10-2015, 10:48 PM
This topic has morphed into yet another gun debate.

If you want to debate guns take it to a different thread....as we have already had enough of them. Or even start a new thread -- I suggest you go to the politics section.

A school shooting is tragic. Period. People should be able to discuss the facts in the case as they become available.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-10-2015, 10:50 PM
(01-10-2015 10:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This topic has morphed into yet another gun debate.

If you want to debate guns take it to a different thread....as we have already had enough of them. Or even start a new thread -- I suggest you go to the politics section.

A school shooting is tragic. Period. People should be able to discuss the facts in the case as they become available.

I've been following a first blood rule in regards to gun debates. I don't bring it up, but when someone else does I'm gonna point out flaws. But you're right, I'm done.

'Murican Canadian
01-10-2015, 10:51 PM
(01-10-2015 10:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This topic has morphed into yet another gun debate.

ごめんなさい 母さん。Confused

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post