[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 08:29 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(07-10-2015 08:22 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  7 armed guards is a huge deterrent.

Much more so than armed teachers which I think is a daft idea. Is it currently illegal for them to have guns? Why not run a few pilot schemes and see how it goes?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-10-2015, 08:49 AM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(07-10-2015 08:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 08:22 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  7 armed guards is a huge deterrent.

Much more so than armed teachers which I think is a daft idea. Is it currently illegal for them to have guns? Why not run a few pilot schemes and see how it goes?
No, its not illegal. Some schools do have armed guards. Although it's due to the gang violence problem.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
07-10-2015, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 09:02 AM by Emma.)
(07-10-2015 08:22 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 08:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why not hire a security firm and let them do the patrolling, and let the teachers stick to what they're good at. The security guys can have CCTV and bullet proof vests and go as nuts as they like. It's gonna be probably as expensive as arming teachers without nearly as much downside. Plus, again, if I picture myself as a teacher I don't see why I should be expected to handle firearms as part of the job description, that's just ridiculous.

I went to Canyon High School near Los Angeles. They had at least 7 security guards on duty every day, although none of them were armed. One of them was my uncle, and he was prior military. Some were retired cops. Give them guns. They are already there patrolling the halls. 7 armed guards is a huge deterrent.

I'd be ok with that, as long as they passed annual psychological and physical examinations to ensure that they are physically and mentally fit for the job. Plus, they should complete regular arms training. I'm assuming that law enforcement already does all of this- but I don't know that there's any requirement for those things for guards. Do you know if that's already required for armed guards? I guess I'd be a little surprised if it wasn't.

But that's not the only solution I want to see. A single approach is not likely to fix this issue or the larger issue of gun violence in the US.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
07-10-2015, 09:03 AM
(07-10-2015 08:56 AM)kineo Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 08:22 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I went to Canyon High School near Los Angeles. They had at least 7 security guards on duty every day, although none of them were armed. One of them was my uncle, and he was prior military. Some were retired cops. Give them guns. They are already there patrolling the halls. 7 armed guards is a huge deterrent.

I'd be ok with that, as long as they passed annual psychological and physical examinations to ensure that they are physically and mentally fit for the job. Plus, they should complete regular arms training. I'm assuming that law enforcement already does all of this- but I don't know that there's any requirement for those things for guards. Do you know if that's already required for armed guards? I guess I'd be a little surprised if it wasn't.

In every state I've lived as an adult, Florida, Washington, Texas, licensed armed security guards have annual firearms qualifications.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
07-10-2015, 10:15 AM
For the record, it's actually easier to pass a psychological evaluation if you're a psychopath. It's not like they can do a blood test or something, it's just a matter of knowing what traits they're looking for and therefore what questions to answer. Trust me if I can pass it, anyone can Tongue

'Murican Canadian
07-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Point being, a security company taking responsibility for student safety means everyone else is free to do their own thing. If one of their own goes nuts, that's the security company's problem and lawsuit to settle. Since all companies are allergic to lawsuits, the security company will be fanatical about mental health, firearms training etc. If there are intruders, the risks are offloaded onto trained professionals. It may seem expensive but IMO it's probably one of the more efficient solutions available money wise and risk wise.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
07-10-2015, 02:20 PM
I think they should be allowed to be armed, but I don't think anyone should ever be required to be. Some people are killers, some people aren't. Armed security at every single school would be nice in a perfect world, but the reality is that even the life of a child has a price tag on it. Resources are scarce, simple as that. The bigger problem is that a number of people in our society feel like they have something to gain from killing defenseless children, and school isn't the only place they're vulnerable. Whatever laws we make or don't make, our culture is broken and that fact is going to rear its ugly head from time to time. And for the time being, there's bigger fish to fry.

All this talk about shooting. I'm gonna go hit the range for a while Tongue

'Murican Canadian
07-10-2015, 02:24 PM
(07-10-2015 02:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Whatever laws we make or don't make, our culture is broken and that fact is going to rear its ugly head from time to time. And for the time being, there's bigger fish to fry.

You know we can fry more than one fish at a time, right? Wink

I mean, the skillet is pretty god damn large. Laugh out load
07-10-2015, 02:27 PM
(07-10-2015 02:24 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 02:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Whatever laws we make or don't make, our culture is broken and that fact is going to rear its ugly head from time to time. And for the time being, there's bigger fish to fry.

You know we can fry more than one fish at a time, right? Wink

What if the solution to one problem perpetuates the culture that causes the other?

'Murican Canadian
07-10-2015, 02:30 PM
(07-10-2015 02:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 02:24 PM)kineo Wrote:  You know we can fry more than one fish at a time, right? Wink

What if the solution to one problem perpetuates the culture that causes the other?

Like, what if allowing every knob to carry a gun regardless of skill level perpetuates the culture of every knob carrying a gun regardless of skill level?

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post