[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
Screw the teachers. Arm the kids. Guns, flamethrowers, tomahawks, grenades, morning stars, teach the kids to be responsible for their own safety and defense. Kids are smart and responsible, well-mannered and logical. Plus, it'll deter bullies. It's perfect. Stop by the local gun & knife shop for the most important school supplies of all. What could possibly go wrong?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
07-10-2015, 04:17 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(07-10-2015 04:03 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Screw the teachers. Arm the kids. Guns, flamethrowers, tomahawks, grenades, morning stars, teach the kids to be responsible for their own safety and defense. Kids are smart and responsible, well-mannered and logical. Plus, it'll deter bullies. It's perfect. Stop by the local gun & knife shop for the most important school supplies of all. What could possibly go wrong?

[Image: Spaceballs.gif]

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
07-10-2015, 04:26 PM
(07-10-2015 04:03 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Screw the teachers. Arm the kids. Guns, flamethrowers, tomahawks, grenades, morning stars, teach the kids to be responsible for their own safety and defense. Kids are smart and responsible, well-mannered and logical. Plus, it'll deter bullies. It's perfect. Stop by the local gun & knife shop for the most important school supplies of all. What could possibly go wrong?

That's what we did back in the day. Kids today are pussies.

#sigh
07-10-2015, 04:40 PM
(06-10-2015 11:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 10:41 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Yes to late, but by the guys that should have guns. I'm still trying to picture school teachers with guns.Facepalm

Gun enthusiasts always believe the answer to anything is more guns.
Drinking Beverage

Not true, unless you mean "gun nuts". Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
(07-10-2015 03:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 03:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Such is a good deterrent, but compare footsteps to trigger-pulls.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, could you elaborate?

When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away. Drinking Beverage

The deterrent aspect is not knowing who around you might be armed. These shootings generally happen where it is known there isn't anyone armed.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-10-2015, 04:45 PM
(07-10-2015 08:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I haven't decided if school teachers should be armed. When I went to school, I knew more than a couple teachers who were physically violent toward some of their students. Nothing too major....pulling a kids hair or shoving a kid....minor but abusive non the less. I'd rather not give those particular teachers guns.

Why not hire a security firm and let them do the patrolling, and let the teachers stick to what they're good at. The security guys can have CCTV and bullet proof vests and go as nuts as they like. It's gonna be probably as expensive as arming teachers without nearly as much downside. Plus, again, if I picture myself as a teacher I don't see why I should be expected to handle firearms as part of the job description, that's just ridiculous.

Who is going to pay them? Consider

07-10-2015, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 05:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-10-2015 02:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 02:31 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  While I agree that teachers ought not have guns too handy, I'd ask you how you would address the emphasized problem. Time is of the essence when a killer is on the loose. How would you solve that, immediately?

Having police close at hand, if not on stationed on campus. If you have to have someone armed on school property, it might as well be someone who (hopefully) possesses the best training.

Virginia Tech has it's own Police Department which arrived on scene within 3 minutes and they couldn't stop a monster from killing 32 and wounding 17.

And Ben Carson has just caused me to want to choke him to the point where even the world's greatest neurosurgeon can't save him. "Let's charge him! He can't get us all."

First off, it's like the worst advice ever. My active shooter training is "Run. If you can't run hide. If you can't hide then you fight."

Second, it diminishes to the point of dismissal of the true heroes in these tragedies. VA Tech heroes. Oregon shooting hero. If only Rambo Carson had been there this wouldn't have happened.

And finally as soon as he hollers "Let's all charge him! He can't get us all!" he'd be the first fucking coward to run away. "I gotta stay alive because the world needs my surgical skills."

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-10-2015, 04:59 PM
(07-10-2015 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  The deterrent aspect is not knowing who around you might be armed. These shootings generally happen where it is known there isn't anyone armed.

Cho was well aware VA Tech had it's own armed police force. Cho did not give a fuck.

#sigh
07-10-2015, 05:08 PM
(07-10-2015 04:17 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  

[Image: Spaceballs.gif]

...raspberry....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
07-10-2015, 05:26 PM
I wonder if these mass shootings couldn't be stopped just by not giving them national media coverage.
OR not letting the media know the shooters name/religion/motive/age/sex etc..
Simply just "there was a shooting at X, Y people were killed, Z were injured, the shooter was killed by police" etc...

The reason these people do it is for publicity and so if you take that away I think it will deter most of them.

No gun control needed.

[Image: oscar.png]