[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 07:54 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(07-10-2015 07:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 06:38 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Haha no. Just exaggerating a bit. [b]My point was the cops weren't near the shooting when it started[/b]. And as far as I know, the VA Tech campus did not allow campus carry, meaning the students were unarmed.

They were 3 minutes close.

A lot can happen in 3 minutes. He'll, my ex wife and I made a baby in 2 minutes (or embryo, as some would say).

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2015, 07:55 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(07-10-2015 07:54 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  A lot can happen in 3 minutes.

Apparently so.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-10-2015, 08:44 PM
(07-10-2015 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 05:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The reason these people do it is for publicity and so if you take that away I think it will deter most of them.

Speaking as a batshit bonkers individual myself, you are full of shit MuffinHead. These people are suicidal and don't give a shit whether they are remembered or not. They are out of their fucking minds and just looking to end it. They are pussies who want to force someone else to off them 'cause they're too pussy to off themselves.

I disagree. I think they do it exactly because they do wanna be remembered.
I agree they're suicidal, but if that were the only problem they would just off themselves or take hostages or something and not kill a bunch of people.
They do it for the publicity and "fame". It's about getting ones name remembered for all time.

They're troubled individuals who's parents never hugged them (or some such psychotherapy mumbo jumbo) and so they look for it on the mass shootings wiki page.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-10-2015, 08:47 PM
A simple law forbidding journalists from publishing names/age/sex/motive/religion/etc.. which doesn't count as censorship (I mean it sort of is but nothing the court doesn't do with name suppression) because the media can still report on the shooting.

OR

Have a very lengthy controversial debate about gun control that noone can agree on and people will actually fight and oppose and which would be even harder to enforce. All the while not really fixing the problem because these people are still gonna get guns or other weapons and continue to do it etc...

The choice seems pretty obvious IMO.
07-10-2015, 09:16 PM
(07-10-2015 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 03:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm not sure what you mean by that, could you elaborate?

When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away. Drinking Beverage

The deterrent aspect is not knowing who around you might be armed. These shootings generally happen where it is known there isn't anyone armed.

Yeah, but that assumes that someone who has premeditated a mass shooting is operating on a rational level. If your end goal is to die anyways, there's not much at all you can do to deter that level of insanity. Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2015, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 09:41 PM by Emma.)
(07-10-2015 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  These shootings generally happen where it is known there isn't anyone armed.

Not really true. About 13% happen in gun free zones (spoiler alert, Limbaugh is wrong).

Edit: Oh yeah, Kyle also talks about the Chicago example in this video. Essentially- Chicago's gun laws and crime rate are a bad example for gun control's effectiveness. People can simple step out of the city, buy a gun, then tote it back to the city. It's a short drive from Chicago to the suburbs, Wisconsin, or even Indiana. If you really want a gun, you'll get one. That's why we need effective federal controls in place. Moreover, the failed drug war has got to end. It only contributes to more gang violence. I'm pretty much with Kyle on this one- legalize, tax, and regulate drugs. The drug war does nothing to stop people from using. It only forces people under ground and to even more unsafe alternatives. Hell, with the taxes, we can fund programs to cut down on usage even more- like with smoking, to make drugs uncool and unappealing. And we could fund better rehab centers. But our current approach sucks.
07-10-2015, 09:36 PM
(07-10-2015 09:30 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  These shootings generally happen where it is known there isn't anyone armed.

Not really true. About 13% happen in gun free zones (spoiler alert, Limbaugh is wrong).

Oh yeah, Kyle also talks about the Chicago example in this video.

Does he mean something besides Mass Shootings... because like mentioned before, Mass shootings are heavily done by gang action and around just normal areas not barred by any gun-free region.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-10-2015, 09:42 PM
(07-10-2015 09:36 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 09:30 PM)kineo Wrote:  Not really true. About 13% happen in gun free zones (spoiler alert, Limbaugh is wrong).

Oh yeah, Kyle also talks about the Chicago example in this video.

Does he mean something besides Mass Shootings... because like mentioned before, Mass shootings are heavily done by gang action and around just normal areas not barred by any gun-free region.

Gotta head to bed here, but here is a source from the video:

http://everytownresearch.org/wp-content/...pdf#page=8
07-10-2015, 09:52 PM
(07-10-2015 08:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I disagree. I think they do it exactly because they do wanna be remembered.

And I disagree. They are batshit insane and could not give less of a fuck whether they' are remembered or not.

#sigh
07-10-2015, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 10:26 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(07-10-2015 09:30 PM)kineo Wrote:  

Edit: Oh yeah, Kyle also talks about the Chicago example in this video. Essentially- Chicago's gun laws and crime rate are a bad example for gun control's effectiveness. People can simple step out of the city, buy a gun, then tote it back to the city. It's a short drive from Chicago to the suburbs, Wisconsin, or even Indiana. If you really want a gun, you'll get one. That's why we need effective federal controls in place. Moreover, the failed drug war has got to end. It only contributes to more gang violence. I'm pretty much with Kyle on this one- legalize, tax, and regulate drugs. The drug war does nothing to stop people from using. It only forces people under ground and to even more unsafe alternatives. Hell, with the taxes, we can fund programs to cut down on usage even more- like with smoking, to make drugs uncool and unappealing. And we could fund better rehab centers. But our current approach sucks.

Laugh out load

Sorry, but no. 92% is correct. The 13% crap is just wrong. To get their 13% number, they counted things like drug/gang violence, shootings that happened as part of domestic violence (like a kid is packing a firearm to protect himself when dad goes nuts, yeah right), and situations where guns are technically not banned, like on the street of L.A. True, L.A. doesn't really "ban" guns, but you can't get a permit to carry, so that would actually be considered a gun free zone BECAUSE NOBODY CAN LEGALLY HAVE A FUCKING GUN IN PUBLIC TO PROTECT THEMSELVES.

The 92% comes from only looking at crimes that meet the definition of "active shooter" by the FBI. These cases are almost always in "gun free zones." Colleges, elementary schools, libraries, movie theaters, churches, places of employment.

http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uplo...mberg2.pdf

Just look at this list of mass shootings with active shooter events. Almost all of them took place in gun free zones like military bases, schools, workplaces where firearms are prohibited or places where nobody would be carrying a gun because the state doesn't issue concealed weapon permits.

http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-s...-rampages/

Honestly, look at your own link from Every town for gun safety. This is their criteria: "The shooter fired at the Army/Navy recruitment center from the parking lot.
Under Tennessee law, permit holders are allowed to keep guns in their cars in public and private parking lots."

Jesus christ, really? Because they're allowed to keep their guns in the parking lot, in their car, they count the recruiting office as not a gun free zone. Get the fuck out of here. That's just pure dishonesty. Like the victims were going to run out to their car and grab their gun. THEY COULDN'T HAVE THEIR FIREARMS IN THE OFFICE WHERE THEY WERE SHOT. It was a gun free zone. There was a fucking sign on the front door shown on the news "NO GUNS ALLOWED."

Don't bring that weak shit around here.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]