[split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
(08-10-2015 01:45 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  If the school psychologist doesn't report the loony to big brother, big brother doesn't know the loony shouldn't have a gun.

Or big brother does know, but still allows the loony to buy a gun because amendment?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2015, 02:03 PM
RE: [split] Another school shooting... inevitable gun debate speculation of root causes
Ahh, I see- carry on then, sorry.
08-10-2015, 02:41 PM
(07-10-2015 09:30 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  These shootings generally happen where it is known there isn't anyone armed.

Not really true. About 13% happen in gun free zones (spoiler alert, Limbaugh is wrong).

I am purposely leaving out gang-on-gang shootings; I don't give a fuck about them.

That makes most of the rest in gun-free areas.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2015, 02:47 PM
(08-10-2015 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 01:45 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  If the school psychologist doesn't report the loony to big brother, big brother doesn't know the loony shouldn't have a gun.

Or big brother does know, but still allows the loony to buy a gun because amendment?

No, there is no chain of reporting outside of the legal system.

08-10-2015, 02:51 PM
(08-10-2015 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  Or big brother does know, but still allows the loony to buy a gun because amendment?

No, there is no chain of reporting outside of the legal system.

No, what I mean is, even if someone's on their database of "guys it would not be a good idea to give a gun to", does their right to carry not trump the database? Or is there some weasel wording in the constitution that allows them to be prevented from owning a weapon?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-10-2015, 02:54 PM
(08-10-2015 02:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, there is no chain of reporting outside of the legal system.

No, what I mean is, even if someone's on their database of "guys it would not be a good idea to give a gun to", does their right to carry not trump the database? Or is there some weasel wording in the constitution that allows them to be prevented from owning a weapon?

No Constitutional right can be taken away without judicial adjudication.

That is -- your rights can't be taken away because you end up on some list. It takes a judge in a court of law to take away any of your rights....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-10-2015, 03:00 PM
(08-10-2015 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  

I don't believe for a minute that's true. The problem is there is no system in place for mental health professionals to report people with problems. If the courts haven't declared someone incompetent nobody but their doctor (and family/friends/neighbors/strangers on the street) knows. Big brother doesn't have a fucking clue.

Having said that I don't want the anti gun local marriage counselor to be able to report that I need my guns taken away because I talked to her about trying to work things out with my ex just because she doesn't think anyone needs guns. We need a system where people suspected of being unstable can be reported, but that system has to notify someone they have been added to a no gun list and there must be a way for them to challenge their status.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
08-10-2015, 03:06 PM
(08-10-2015 02:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 02:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  No, what I mean is, even if someone's on their database of "guys it would not be a good idea to give a gun to", does their right to carry not trump the database? Or is there some weasel wording in the constitution that allows them to be prevented from owning a weapon?

No Constitutional right can be taken away without judicial adjudication.

That is -- your rights can't be taken away because you end up on some list. It takes a judge in a court of law to take away any of your rights....

Not really. The courts have already said certain classes of people such as unlawful users of drugs and alcohol can't have guns. You don't have to convicted. Simply being a meth addict is enough.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
08-10-2015, 03:41 PM
(08-10-2015 02:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, there is no chain of reporting outside of the legal system.

The federal law is very clear about who cannot have a firearm. They generally err on the side of caution.

Local laws may not be as clear.
In Massachusetts, one's permit can be revoked by the local licensing officer (the police chief or his/her designee) for almost any reason, though that can be appealed.

08-10-2015, 04:10 PM
(08-10-2015 03:00 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  We need a system where people suspected of being unstable can be reported, ...

Doctors and hospitals are prevented from doing that by HIPPA. Don't know who else would be qualified.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus