[split] Anti-Democrat Diatribe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 11:36 AM
RE: [split] Anti-Democrat Diatribe
(26-07-2016 10:00 AM)rickwfullerjr Wrote:  Idgaf if kids want to pray in school. If it's on their own time.

Guess what -- kids have always been able to pray in school "on their own time", and there's nothing the government can do (or would do) to prevent them from doing so. Any legislation that has been proposed or passed has dealt with public prayer, where every kid in the classroom is required (or at least heavily pressured) to stand up and publicly recite a prayer. This is a real problem when the kids are not all of the same religion. It might be OK in a private school (which often has a uni-denominational student population anyway), but definitely not in a public school. The government cannot sanction or require public prayer that favors a particular religion. That's what separation of church and state is all about. This is not a "liberal" concept, unless all of our founding fathers were "liberals".

To put it briefly, this is not about "allowing" them to pray in school. It's about requiring them to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Grasshopper's post
26-07-2016, 12:55 PM
(26-07-2016 10:00 AM)rickwfullerjr Wrote:  How does a nativity scene hurt you, how does the Ten Commandments that have been up for 100 years in a county courthouse effect you in any way? It doesn't. Not even a little.

They create a divisive atmosphere and relegate non-believers and believers in other religions to a second-class status. Government facilities exist to fulfill a secular function and the introduction of biased religious displays does not support that mission and can only detract from it. Tradition is not a good reason to continue a bad practice.

Quote:Idgaf if kids want to pray in school. If it's on their own time.

Do you have any evidence of an organized resistance to kids praying on their own anywhere? Your strawman argument doesn't do much for your credibility.

Quote:I don't give a shit if their are Christmas lights put up by my city, any thinking person knows it's not about God.

Another strawman argument. Lights and secular decorations are not objected to on church/state grounds; it is when the biased religious displays are put up that there is, and should be, objection.

Quote:Aside from that we must be reading different constitutions. Religion can play no role in how government reflects the will of the people.

Exactly. Religion has no role in government and attempts by government to promote or endorse religion should be stopped. Thank you for so ably refuting your own rant.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
26-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Pretty damn easily, honestly.

I mean they're the only major party that supports gay rights, the only major party that supports health care for everyone, the only major party that supports women's reproductive rights.
[+] 3 users Like Ash's post
26-07-2016, 03:13 PM
(26-07-2016 02:57 PM)Ash Wrote:  Pretty damn easily, honestly.

I mean they're the only major party that supports gay rights, the only major party that supports health care for everyone, the only major party that supports women's reproductive rights.

Those points could be argued......

Especially the "supports health care for everyone" --- which is completely false...

The current plan isn't about health care -- it's about profits for insurance companies......... You're forced to buy insurance. You're not getting your money's worth -- because you're stuck with paying a profit margin to a middleman -- the insurance company......

And insurance companies will do what they've always done -- deny your care - and wait you out -- till you give up and pay it yourself - or die......... "You're in good hands" means the ones sneaking into your wallet.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-07-2016, 04:20 PM
(26-07-2016 10:00 AM)rickwfullerjr Wrote:  And it just makes you ignorant. How does a nativity scene hurt you, how does the Ten Commandments that have been up for 100 years in a county courthouse effect you in any way? It doesn't. Not even a little. I'm a strict constructionist, I'm also a believer in democracy. Most people are at least half ass Christians. Let them have their crutch. Nobody is hurt, and the terrorists at the ACLU are causing more harm than good. If you are easily offended then it sucks to be you. I for one choose to let people do their own thing. Idgaf if kids want to pray in school. If it's on their own time. I don't give a shit if their are Christmas lights put up by my city, any thinking person knows it's not about God. Aside from that we must be reading different constitutions. Religion can play no role in how government reflects the will of the people. Except militant atheism is almost as bad as religion in the level of zealotry. Take a fucking pill old man, you're deluded again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Australian republican, I have issues with religious monuments on government property in the US. First, it runs counter to the constitution by acting as a tacit, or sometimes overt, endorsement of Christianity.

Secondly, and far more importantly, even the smallest bullshit needs to be countered, lest it bolster even worse bull. When they get away with stuffing Moses in with the founding Fathers, or sticking the ten commandments in courts, the more dangerous people in power get more support from the passive 'win' they represent and move to put in ever increasingly horrible legislation based on religion.
The small displays need to be accounted for for the same reason that street-side psychics do; to prevent them from supplying an air of false legitimacy to other, more harmful bullshit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
26-07-2016, 04:25 PM
(26-07-2016 10:00 AM)rickwfullerjr Wrote:  And it just makes you ignorant. How does a nativity scene hurt you, how does the Ten Commandments that have been up for 100 years in a county courthouse effect you in any way? It doesn't. Not even a little. I'm a strict constructionist, I'm also a believer in democracy. Most people are at least half ass Christians. Let them have their crutch. Nobody is hurt, and the terrorists at the ACLU are causing more harm than good. If you are easily offended then it sucks to be you. I for one choose to let people do their own thing. Idgaf if kids want to pray in school. If it's on their own time. I don't give a shit if their are Christmas lights put up by my city, any thinking person knows it's not about God. Aside from that we must be reading different constitutions. Religion can play no role in how government reflects the will of the people. Except militant atheism is almost as bad as religion in the level of zealotry. Take a fucking pill old man, you're deluded again.

No one cares if kids wish to pray in school. The problem comes about when the school forces the kids to pray in school and on school property during school events.
26-07-2016, 04:40 PM
(26-07-2016 03:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 02:57 PM)Ash Wrote:  Pretty damn easily, honestly.

Those points could be argued......

Especially the "supports health care for everyone" --- which is completely false...

The current plan isn't about health care -- it's about profits for insurance companies......... You're forced to buy insurance. You're not getting your money's worth -- because you're stuck with paying a profit margin to a middleman -- the insurance company......

And insurance companies will do what they've always done -- deny your care - and wait you out -- till you give up and pay it yourself - or die......... "You're in good hands" means the ones sneaking into your wallet.....

THe current plan as you say isn't about healthcare, but there are elements in the Democrat party which would like to bring the USA up as far as the 20th century and provide health care to our citizens as all other civilized countries do.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
26-07-2016, 06:15 PM
(26-07-2016 09:30 AM)rickwfullerjr Wrote:  Something that we should all keep in mind is that the decision we all have a right to decide our own religious path. Now those of us in this group here we don't believe in God, we have the right to not believe in God. However other people have the right to believe in God just because a courthouse has the 10 Commandments and it doesn't mean it's stepping on your rights. We don't have the right to stop children from praying in school, or just stop a municipality from putting a nativity scene up. And that's the kind of crap that liberals are doing. The Constitution gives a certain rights in our right to express ourselves trumps others rights to not be offended. People like the Clintons and the Obama's are just terrible human beings and people that would vote for them or for Bernie Sanders are also just as terrible

Vote for Trump. You sound like that kind of moron.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
26-07-2016, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2016 08:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-07-2016 11:36 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The government cannot sanction or require public prayer that favors a particular religion.

They cannot even require me to pledge allegiance to the USA as I enjoyed demonstrating each morning in High School while sitting respectfully while the rest of the class rose, put their hands over their hearts, faced the flag and recited the bastardized version of the Pledge of Allegiance to The Flag. (I was such a dick. God I miss that man.)

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-07-2016, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 07:43 AM by Full Circle.)
(26-07-2016 09:19 AM)rickwfullerjr Wrote:  I don't see how somebody can publicly admit to being a Democrat. LOL

"The GOP currently holds...
248 out of 440 seats in the House
54 out of 100 seats in the Senate
31 out of 50 Governors
70 out of 99 state legislative chambers
4 out of 8 Justices appointed to the Supreme Court

I just thought it is worth noting that the party complaining the most about where the country is heading seems to have its hands all over the steering wheel.” ~ T.O.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 11 users Like Full Circle's post