[split] Ask a Theist! - Jzyehoshua Q&A

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 01:03 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Just the latest Defender of the Faith Rolleyes

He was explaining to us why it's OK to be down on gays and that the Bible is not the pure untainted word of the Lawd.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Have we tickled his taint yet?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
05-05-2013, 01:08 AM
(05-05-2013 01:03 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Have we tickled his taint yet?

Dunno. It's hard to tell when they wriggle...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-05-2013, 05:10 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 05:15 AM by Chas.)
(04-05-2013 08:17 PM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  This idea that secularism was at all compatible with the founders who created religious freedom is a myth perpetuated by the left to attack Christianity with no basis in fact. Jefferson and Madison authored their legislation on religious freedom invoking God's giving of rights to man as the basis for religious freedom! Both Jefferson and Madison, the primary architects of the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights (as well as William Penn who created earlier versions of both a century earlier) were clearly Christians who designed religious freedom and separation of church and state to protect religious expression. That's why the 1st amendment involves freedom of religion, not from religion.

Jefferson was a deist. You have an incorrect understanding of history.

But it doesn't matter what religions the founders practiced. It was not Christianity that spurred the creation of a secular republic, it was The Enlightenment.

What gave power to the concept of a secular government was the excesses of Christianity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
(05-05-2013 12:33 AM)JAH Wrote:  I have not read all of the intervening dialog but I continue to wonder where is my absolution to eat pork or crayfish. I am hungry and that is all that is in the pantry.

Stupid fucks are such no matter how well they phrase things.

And yes stupid fuck give me chapter and verse.

And as I already told you some 20 posts or so ago the answer is that the dietary laws were given for purposes of disease and given advances in food cleanliness and medicine are no longer required. As is stated in the New Testament, "there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean." And again, "But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse." "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."

And if you care that much about the answer instead of just trying to ask cute little question for the sake of asking them, you can look up the verses for yourself. I already answered this.

My website refuting alleged contradictions will be at BereaWiki.com.
05-05-2013, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 08:48 AM by Jzyehoshua.)
(05-05-2013 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 08:17 PM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  This idea that secularism was at all compatible with the founders who created religious freedom is a myth perpetuated by the left to attack Christianity with no basis in fact. Jefferson and Madison authored their legislation on religious freedom invoking God's giving of rights to man as the basis for religious freedom! Both Jefferson and Madison, the primary architects of the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights (as well as William Penn who created earlier versions of both a century earlier) were clearly Christians who designed religious freedom and separation of church and state to protect religious expression. That's why the 1st amendment involves freedom of religion, not from religion.

Jefferson was a deist. You have an incorrect understanding of history.

But it doesn't matter what religions the founders practiced. It was not Christianity that spurred the creation of a secular republic, it was The Enlightenment.

What gave power to the concept of a secular government was the excesses of Christianity.

But America was not founded a secular republic, however. It began with William Penn's Province of Pennsylvania in 1682 which was where the modern states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware are today. Penn was given a grant from the king of England and created his "holy experiment" allowing religious freedom and attracting the persecuted minorities of Europe. It had separation of powers among three branches of government, executive, legislative, and judicial with Penn its first Governor. It had two houses of government, a General Assembly with 200 members designed to increase to 500 with population growth, and a Provincial Council with 72 members who split into 18 member subcommittees; both required 2/3 approval for bill passage. "Free and voluntary" elections allowed the selection of these representatives.

http://www.bereawiki.com/wiki/Separation..._%26_State
http://www.bereawiki.com/wiki/William_Penn#History
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/17th_century/pa04.asp

A "charter of privileges" provided freedoms of religion, property, and trial by jury, and was passed in 1701. A public education system taught everyone a useful trade at age 12 with funding for "useful sciences and inventions." All laws were based upon the Bible including marriage, and Sunday was declared a national day of rest for both citizens and public officials. There were laws against profanity, drinking, cruelty to animals, gambling, homosexuality, rape, prostitution, and incest. Witnesses were commanded to speak "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." I cited the exact laws here:

http://www.bereawiki.com/wiki/Province_of_Pennsylvania
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/pa07.asp

In some ways the government may have been better than today's USA since it gave double damages to those wrongly accused against their accusers, and false witnesses were never to be acknowledged as having valid testimony in court ever again once caught. False witnesses were to undergo the penalty of those they'd helped convict. Any public officials found guilty of abuse of funds were to pay double, with half going to the party wronged, and be dismissed from employment.

Also, unlike other colonies, Penn insisted on fairly purchasing the land from the Native Americans, and maintained friendly relations with them, even walking among them unarmed. He learned their own dialects so he wouldn't need a translator. They esteemed him so highly that when the Seven Years War broke out years later, while other settlements were attacked, Penn's was left alone. Voltaire described Penn's treaty with the tribes as "the only treaty between those people [Native Americans and Christians] that was not ratified by an oath, and that was never infringed."

Pennsylvania in 1780 went on to become the first state to abolish slavery. The Quakers there began the nation's first anti-slavery group and were the primary opponents of slavery until Lincoln's Republicans stopped slavery during the Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers_in_...n_Movement
http://www.pbs.org/thisfarbyfaith/journey_1/p_7.html

05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Hey by the way KC if you wanna split this thread do by all means go ahead. Think you should rename it to "Ask KC (formerly Ask a Theist)" too, but that's just my opinion. But otherwise can leave it too. I'm done talking to Bible boy #32768 myself. Others may still extract some entertainment.
05-05-2013, 09:33 AM
This new toy does not look amusing in the slightest.
[Image: 37.gif]
Bring forth the next one.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Jzyehosah, you again offer me verses that allow me to suck cock. I do not want to do that. I want to eat crawfish, maybe in gumbo.
05-05-2013, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 09:55 PM by Jzyehoshua.)
(05-05-2013 07:42 PM)JAH Wrote:  Jzyehosah, you again offer me verses that allow me to suck cock. I do not want to do that. I want to eat crawfish, maybe in gumbo.

Yeah, because it's not like this is the thousandth debate or so where I've seen the strawmen and ad hominem fallacies used to distract from losing arguments because the facts can't be addressed. Rolleyes