[split] Ask a Theist! - Jzyehoshua Q&A

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 07:02 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
OK, I have a few:

1. Where is heaven?
2. According to christian thinking, those who don't accept god will go to hell. What about those who worship other gods and follows their religions prescripts to the letter?
3. Then...the big one bound to be asked: Why does god allows suffering? Case in point: Boston bombings... an innocent 8 year old victim?

More to follow....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 07:14 AM
(06-05-2013 07:02 AM)FMC Wrote:  OK, I have a few:

1. Where is heaven?
2. According to christian thinking, those who don't accept god will go to hell. What about those who worship other gods and follows their religions prescripts to the letter?
3. Then...the big one bound to be asked: Why does god allows suffering? Case in point: Boston bombings... an innocent 8 year old victim?

More to follow....

I can take this question for KC.

1. Nobody knows.
2. Everybody will go to hell regardless, with the exception of the Elect, who were chosen by God to go to heaven before anything even existed because God planned everything.
3. Because god planned it to be so. now don't question.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
06-05-2013, 07:47 AM
1. There appear to be three heavens referred to Biblically, the sky, outer space, and the place God dwells; I have no idea where the third is. (2 Corinthians 2:2) We're told only Jesus has ascended/descended there (John 3:13). Until the final judgment, the dead go to a place called Sheol that is divided into two parts. (Luke 16:22-26)

2. Jesus said of those who know much and are given much more will be required. (Luke 12:48) While we cannot be justified before God by our own works according to the Law (Romans 3:19-20, Galatians 2:16) God will judge everyone by their deeds at the end of time. (Romans 2:6; 2 Corinthians 5:10) While eternal life comes only through Jesus, neither do I believe hell is the simplistic fire and brimstone setup that's commonly evangelized. Sheol had a place of peace where patriarchs who trusted God and did what was right like Abraham went. Children who died in childbirth went there as well. (Job 3:11-19)

In fact, the picture I get is one more complicated, where those who received good things without doing good will receive punishment while those who received bad things while doing good received reward. As Abraham told the rich man, "remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented." (Luke 12:25) Ecclesiastes presents this similarly, saying those who enjoy their time here doing evil will be judged accordingly by God. (Ecclesiastes 11:9-10) Solomon said God would judge every purpose and every work at the end, (Ecclesiastes 3:15,17) and ends Ecclesiastes with "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil."

Anyway, my point is that from the Bible I am not convinced it's as simplistic as everyone unsaved goes to a Lake of Fire and everyone who trusts Jesus goes to Heaven. I think it's a very complicated system of judging that includes examination of a person's thoughts and deeds to weigh their rewards against their punishments. I expect it will be like Sheol, a place of rest even if not technically eternal life or heaven for those who did good in this life, and a place with different levels of punishment for those who did evil. People will be judged by the degree to which they knew whether their actions were right or wrong as well. God will have eternity to judge and not be bound by time.

3. My precise answer to the Problem of Evil is here. The simple answer though is that God made man good but man disobeyed. (Ecclesiastes 7:29) As Jesus pointed out, God made things good and an enemy, the devil, corrupted that creation, in part because man cooperated in rebelling.

Matthew 13:24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

Ultimately, Satan is the god of this world who rules its kingdoms. (2 Corinthians 4:4; Matthew 4:8; John 12:31) Why, how, when, I can only guess, but Satan was apparently given authority somehow over the world, probably before he rebelled. Because mankind likewise rebelled he somehow got control over them as well. Jesus actually came to destroy Satan who had the power of death and deliver those Satan controlled. (Hebrews 2:14-15) Anyway, this is Satan's world system, not God's. God tries to slow the corruption Satan is steadily wreaking on His once-good creation and persuade people to do what's right so when He destroys this creation to bring in a new one they won't be eternally punished. The wickedness of this world will ultimately force God to destroy it again just as He once did with Noah, and then He'll bring in new heavens and a new earth. (Isaiah 65:17, 66:2; 2 Peter 3:13)

Evil is the result of people and Satan, God can't destroy evil without destroying the wicked people who produce evil, and without destroying the world which Satan rules. So when you ask why suffering and evil exist in this life, it's because God could destroy that suffering and evil, but it would mean wiping out this world and the evil of it. God would then judge to determine who is able to enter His new creation without messing it up; doubtless quite carefully to try avoiding what happened this one. God from what I can tell is just trying to save as many as possible before He has to do that.

My website refuting alleged contradictions will be at BereaWiki.com.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Has KC ever been back to answer the last round of questions he got?

I feel I ought to finish that round out before I open up a new line with a new theist. Is the new guy worth the time?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-05-2013, 07:55 AM
(06-05-2013 07:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Is the new guy worth the time?

It's worth my time to tell you that it's not worth your time. New boy sucks balls as an apologist. Has a tendency (where have I seen it before ?) to ignore questions he can't answer, has decided like every other theist that he's a special snowflake who's the only one who really knows what God is saying. Mainly is good at redirecting conversation into channels *he* wants to talk about, which has the effect for the casual reader of making him look like less of an idiot. But... WE KNOW THE TRUTH Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-05-2013, 07:58 AM
(06-05-2013 07:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  

It's worth my time to tell you that it's not worth your time. New boy sucks balls as an apologist. Has a tendency (where have I seen it before ?) to ignore questions he can't answer, has decided like every other theist that he's a special snowflake who's the only one who really knows what God is saying. Mainly is good at redirecting conversation into channels *he* wants to talk about, which has the effect for the casual reader of making him look like less of an idiot. But... WE KNOW THE TRUTH Big Grin

Good to know. Big Grin

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-05-2013, 08:02 AM
(06-05-2013 07:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Has a tendency (where have I seen it before ?) to ignore questions he can't answer

Which questions worth responding to did I ignore? I dislike false accusations. Regardless, I'm just here to chat for a while and see what people think. I'll be working on my site to refute the alleged contradictions made by this site's list.

06-05-2013, 08:05 AM
(06-05-2013 08:02 AM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's worth my time to tell you that it's not worth your time. New boy sucks balls as an apologist. Has a tendency (where have I seen it before ?) to ignore questions he can't answer, has decided like every other theist that he's a special snowflake who's the only one who really knows what God is saying. Mainly is good at redirecting conversation into channels *he* wants to talk about, which has the effect for the casual reader of making him look like less of an idiot. But... WE KNOW THE TRUTH Big Grin

Which questions worth responding to did I ignore? I dislike false accusations. Regardless, I'm just here to chat for a while and see what people think. I'll be working on my site to refute the alleged contradictions made by this site's list.

Another theist making his own site!!!!!!!!!!!!! A dime a dozen these days Drinking Beverage

Do you interpret dreams too? Consider

—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-05-2013, 08:06 AM
OK.
1. Provide independent proof.
2. So...I can believe in any god as long as I do good deeds?
3. Wow! God has a sweeping brush! Even an eight year old is evil?
06-05-2013, 08:07 AM
(06-05-2013 08:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 08:02 AM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  Which questions worth responding to did I ignore? I dislike false accusations. Regardless, I'm just here to chat for a while and see what people think. I'll be working on my site to refute the alleged contradictions made by this site's list.

Another theist making his own site!!!!!!!!!!!!! A dime a dozen these days Drinking Beverage

Do you interpret dreams too? Consider

I've heard that atheists make a lot of sites themselves, but maybe that's just hearsay. Smile Funny how you guys spend so much time and energy criticizing someone you don't think exists. Smile