[split] Ask a Theist! The Word's contribution to the sum of human knowledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 01:08 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(04-06-2013 06:57 AM)theword Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 06:38 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Seriously, dude. This is one of the most idiotic phrases ever. You are a "cut and paste" christian and we have seen all too many of you. You live your life on "cute phrases" that are meaningless and FEEL like you "know something" because you have fooled yourself into thinking that you're "getting some sort of insight/input from a magical being", . . . but it is a product of your own mind. It is a simulation that is very real to you. But we . . . are on to such things [those of us who HAVE been where you are]. WE know it is all bullshit that has no purpose in reality. If it makes you "feel better about your life and gives you a sense of relief for when you die", by all means, continue in your fantasy world. But you are not original. . . .you are not compelling, . . . you're just another "christian robot".

Now, . . . unless you actually want to discuss some topics, . . . . . . . go away, you!
But Jesus loves you.

I Would really like to see ONE Verse from the NT which states that Jesus loves everyone.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 01:10 PM
RE: [split] Ask a Theist! The Word's contribution to the sum of human knowledge
(03-06-2013 04:54 PM)theword Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 03:27 PM)cufflink Wrote:  You know, I've always wondered about that. Like many others here, I've long been familiar with Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ Λόγος, καὶ ὁ Λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν Θεόν, καὶ Θεός ἦν ὁ Λόγος, but it's never been clear to me what Λόγος actually refers to in this context. Is it used here in the original Heraclitean sense, or is its meaning in first-century Hellenistic Judaism substantially different?

Looking forward to your elucidation.
An explanation would be fruitless; those who live in darkness cannot comprehend.

Oh riiiiiiiight... mysterious ways and all that. Dodgy

I will help you out there Wordless, since you are somewhat correct; in the beginning there was the word. The word was like all other words - devised by humans to communicate with each other.

If you are Job, I'm pretty certain you could answer Cufflink's question. If not... I suggest you keep your darkness to yourself.

Welcome to the forum. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
(04-06-2013 01:10 PM)kim Wrote:  I suggest you keep your darkness to yourself.

We have seen his darkness, the darkness as of the only asshole of the father. The light shined into the darkness and the darkness comprehended it not, for it was the darkness of the pantaloons of the holy one. And such darkness is very dark. Hence it is called darkness. And apparently people dwell in it Blink
04-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Simon of Perea. Messiah. Died. Rose from the dead in 3 days. Performed miracles. The subject also of Gabriele's "revelation".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_of_Peraea

If you had no cameras, no newspaper, no recording device of any sort. no way to verify ANY date, or claim of a date, and someone started talking about another messiah, you would have absolutely NOT ONE WAY to verify the dates, or actually determine which one was being discussed, 30, 40, or 50 years later.

BTW, the premise of the "word" contributing ANYTHING to human knowledge is 100 % false. No Biblical text contains anything, (NOT ONE THING), that did not already exist in, or that was NOT a part of, or not taken from the culture in which it was set. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Every bit of it and every concept is traceable, and identifiable in prior events and lines of thought in the cultures. Religion sanctioned culture. Culture never sanctioned any (supposedly) unique or original religious concept.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-06-2013, 01:33 PM
In the context of John 1:1, "word" is being, to "word" is to speak creation into being. So, in a modern context and written on a parchment of fields, that word is hydrogen.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-06-2013, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 05:35 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-06-2013 01:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In the context of John 1:1, "word" is being, to "word" is to speak creation into being. So, in a modern context and written on a parchment of fields, that word is hydrogen.

It's also a change/ huge cultural shift. In Hebrew culture, the "word" was the *active agent*, (NOT THE GOD itself). By the time "John" was written by the Greek Gnostics it had a completely different concept. "Deum verum de deo vero" bla bla bla. Before John, the "word", (itself) was the *agent*, NOT the actual *being*. It changed into a Greek thing, when the Gnostics got a hold of it.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
[split] Ask a Theist! The Word's contribution to the sum of human knowledge
My theory: the word is "Step" as in "Step right up, folks".

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
04-06-2013, 02:51 PM
(04-06-2013 01:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 01:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In the context of John 1:1, "word" is being, to "word" is to speak creation into being. So, in a modern context and written on a parchment of fields, that word is hydrogen.

It's also a change/ huge cultural shift. In Hebrew culture, the "word" was the *active agent*, (NOT THE GOD itself). By the time "John" was written by the Greek Gnostics it had a completely different concept. "Deum vero de deo vero" bla bla bla. Before John, the "word", (itself) was the *agent*, NOT the actual *being*. It changed into a Greek thing, when the Gnostics got a hold of it.

And making the "word" into being depreciates supernaturalism.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
(04-06-2013 02:51 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 01:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's also a change / huge cultural shift. In Hebrew culture, the "word" was the *active agent*, (NOT THE GOD itself). By the time "John" was written by the Greek Gnostics it had a completely different concept. "Deum verum de deo vero" bla bla bla. Before John, the "word", (itself) was the *agent*, NOT the actual *being*. It changed into a Greek thing, when the Gnostics got a hold of it.

And making the "word" into being depreciates supernaturalism.

The (ancient, ie pre Gnostic), Greeks would certainly agree with that.

04-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Atheism is nothing new. Some of you may have, but most people have not heard of a man named Diagoras. He lived in the 5th century BC and is credited with being the first atheist. How many people know any atheistic philosophies or philosophers? On the other hand, how many people have heard of Jesus? Small difference, isn't there?
This anti-Christian, Jesus didn't exist argument is nothing new. I realize you can give me contradictions and errors in the Bible. For every error, I can give you something you cannot refute, and we can play this game forever. What's funny is the fact that you think you have it figured out. For almost 2000 years scholars have turned the Bible inside out and lo and behold, you- Joe Blow in Anytown USA, have figured it out. Congratulations.... actually I should say keep trying, nothing has worked for you people so far.