[split] Ask a Theist! The Word's contribution to the sum of human knowledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 06:40 PM
RE: [split] Ask a Theist! The Word's contribution to the sum of human knowledge
(04-06-2013 06:27 PM)theword Wrote:  Atheism is nothing new. It didn't work back then, and it isn't working now. Statistics show that you are a very small demographic, and the amazing thing is... that you all think you know exactly what the real truth is. The problem is that nobody believes you and nobody trusts you. You are not credible. Repeat, you are not credible. Why don't you try to bring an argument that makes sense and people may listen a little more than they do now.

Not working? In what way?

Atheism is growing faster than religions.

93% of scientists in the National Academy of Science are atheists.

Looks like it's working to me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-06-2013, 06:41 PM
(04-06-2013 06:27 PM)theword Wrote:  Atheism is nothing new. It didn't work back then, and it isn't working now. Statistics show that you are a very small demographic, and the amazing thing is... that you all think you know exactly what the real truth is. The problem is that nobody believes you and nobody trusts you. You are not credible. Repeat, you are not credible. Why don't you try to bring an argument that makes sense and people may listen a little more than they do now.

Atheism is just as old as christianity. Less popular, yes, but some honest people choose to take the road less traveled.

We claim to know what truth is? Define your terms. Few here would claim to know what truth is, only what it is not.

You are not credible, your bible is not credible, your god is not credible. The problem with people is that they are easily doped by stories of magical kingdoms in the sky where there is no pain. People are afraid of what they don't know. Sprinkle a little hell on that fear and they will give you their money.

What about your argument makes good rational sense? I beg you to give me one nugget of undeniable truth to christianity. Please.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Buckyball,
Do those people still believe the earth is flat? Is there anyone that believes it?
Atheism has picked up only a few followers, and it's been going on for 2500 years.
It appears that you may want to be the one's who should be trying harder.
Bottom line- nobody listened to you then- and no body listens to you now.
Why am I here? I write down a lot of things that you intellects have to say. Always makes for good comedy.
Was it you Bucky who said that Humpty Dumpty wasn't an egg? Maybe not. I wrote that one down- someone was trying to compare the Jesus myth to the Humpty Dumpty story. The fun with you people never stops.
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Well, ya know, Atheism was/is less popular as far as being made public...those stonings, hangings, and general ostracism has led a lot of people to pretend they believed...look around the forum...many here today are still hiding their non-belief.

EH...you are looking for rational from the irrational...that search is futile.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
04-06-2013, 06:50 PM
(04-06-2013 06:47 PM)theword Wrote:  Buckyball,
Do those people still believe the earth is flat? Is there anyone that believes it?
Atheism has picked up only a few followers, and it's been going on for 2500 years.
Why am I here? I write down a lot of things that you intellects have to say. Always makes for good comedy.
Was it you Bucky who said that Humpty Dumpty wasn't an egg? Maybe not. I wrote that one down- someone was trying to compare the Jesus myth to the Humpty Dumpty story. The fun with you people never stops.

No one is listening? Are you fucking serious?

The majority of members here are here because they listened and left religion behind.

You are willfully ignorant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
04-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Really? I Suppose the discoveries of dozens of scientists and scholars should therefore be discounted because they are "not credible" due to being Atheists.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
(04-06-2013 06:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  

No one is listening? Are you fucking serious?

The majority of members here are here because they listened and left religion behind.

You are willfully ignorant.

Yup first instinct was correct Obvious troll is obvious. I'm out, have fun dealing with him. Glad I didn't bother doing anymore work on that write up, totally ignored, as I had a feeling it would be.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
04-06-2013, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 07:37 PM by Bucky Ball.)

All irrelevant. Your point is what ? You have made no coherent point.
Weren't you supposed to be cooking up ONE thing that we can't refute, or ONE thing that religion advanced, that was not already in the culture ? Not One ?
Guess you kinda failed here.
"Picked up a few followers" ? What does that even mean. I already told you "popularity" is irrelevant.
1. Prove it. Did you do a poll ? Where is your data from ?
Show us the poll or STFU.
2. You're here because are an atheist-to-be. You just need to admit it.
Your religion is bullshit, and you know it. It's USELESS. Did it protect the tornado victims when they prayed ? Didn't seem to work for them, now did it ?
Your Jebus is a figment. Grow up.
BTW, the fact is, we atheists know FAR more about your bullshit religion than you do. You haven't even shown a spark of elementary knowledge about ANYTHING.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-06-2013, 07:01 PM
(04-06-2013 05:21 PM)theword Wrote:  Atheism is nothing new. Some of you may have, but most people have not heard of a man named Diagoras. He lived in the 5th century BC and is credited with being the first atheist. How many people know any atheistic philosophies or philosophers? On the other hand, how many people have heard of Jesus? Small difference, isn't there?
How many people have heard of Ra, Zeus, Buddha, or Allah? Does that make them just as real as your Jesus? Why not? They all had/have worshipers who pray to them daily, and texts that proclaim their verity. Within the documented history of humankind, there have been roughly 3000 gods– all just as real to their believers as your god is to you. Yet you only believe in one. That makes you 99.967% atheist.

(04-06-2013 05:21 PM)theword Wrote:  This anti-Christian, Jesus didn't exist argument is nothing new. I realize you can give me contradictions and errors in the Bible. For every error, I can give you something you cannot refute, and we can play this game forever.

Of course you can spout something irrefutable, something pointless like: Genesis 12:9 "Then Abram journeyed on by stages to the Negeb." Or any of the "so-n-so begat so-n-so" rhetoric. That book is chock full of inane banality.

(04-06-2013 05:21 PM)theword Wrote:  What's funny is the fact that you think you have it figured out. For almost 2000 years scholars have turned the Bible inside out and lo and behold, you- Joe Blow in Anytown USA, have figured it out. Congratulations.... actually I should say keep trying, nothing has worked for you people so far.
What's funnier is that you think that you've got it figured out. Of all of the hundreds of religions, sects, cults, denominations, and faiths, you managed to get hooked up into the "one true religion" when all the others are fake. Amazing.

By the way, animals don't have religion; any pets you have... are atheist. Shy

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
04-06-2013, 07:03 PM

A very small demographic.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't atheism & agnosticism (or "No Religion" in general) among the fastest growing demographics in the United States?

Isn't it also the top in most of Scandinavia and West Europe? Probably Asia too.

And it is the second largest in Australia, second only to "Christianity" which combines all Christian sects into one group, including Catholicism.

And if you want to talk about a lack of credibility, look at the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an and any number of other religious texts. The lack of credibility there is enough to have lasted humanity maybe around 8000 years, and probably has enough to keep lasting us the rest of our species run through time.
Not to mention those evangelists whom make their living off others hard earned money that they bilked.

However, if you actually want some form of discussion, I have a couple suggestions:

First: stop throwing out blatantly obvious argumentum ad populum fallacies and the vaguely veiled ad hominems you have strewn within them. They do nobody a service, but giving use things to laugh at.

Secondly: you pick a topic and challenge us as a whole, or maybe use one of us specifically and prove your assertions.

Thirdly: You said in your introduction post that you wanted a respect. Earn it and it will be given to you; and it is not impossible to earn our respect for a theist, it has happened previously and can happen again.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post