[split] Assalamo alaikum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 07:23 AM
[split] Assalamo alaikum
(06-08-2015 07:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  Be aware that atheists are individuals and don't have anything in common with each other but the lack of belief in gods. This is often hard to understand for people who come from an organized religion where masses of people all think along the same lines.
Atheists are individuals? I found that slightly condescending. Actually atheists have many shared values than they would like to admit. They vote Democrats, support homosexuals, abortion, etc etc. Of course it's not written in stone, just as for followers of organised religion, there are few exceptions but that's all they are, exceptions. They are more likely to disagree on which Star trek is the best than anything else.

Worse still was the indirect implication that followers of organised religion are not individuals with different political economic and social views.

Sorry for my off topic rant in an introduction thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 07:30 AM
RE: Assalamo alaikum
(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 07:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  Be aware that atheists are individuals and don't have anything in common with each other but the lack of belief in gods. This is often hard to understand for people who come from an organized religion where masses of people all think along the same lines.
Atheists are individuals? I found that slightly condescending. Actually atheists have many shared values than they would like to admit. They vote Democrats, support homosexuals, abortion, etc etc. Of course it's not written in stone, just as for followers of organised religion, there are few exceptions but that's all they are, exceptions. They are more likely to disagree on which Star trek is the best than anything else.

Oh, fuck off. Your preconceptions show your ignorance and bigotry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2015, 07:32 AM
(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  

Worse still was the indirect implication that followers of organised religion are not individuals with different political economic and social views.

First, welcome.

Second, you're already contradicting yourself. It's obviously necessary to point out that atheists are individuals as you've stated here that we all vote democrat (a quick view in to the politics section would have shown you that is an idiotic statement), so please stop collectivizing and projecting. We do not all have the same wordviews, the ONLY thing we agree on is that there are no deities. You'd do well to remember that.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
06-08-2015, 07:33 AM
(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Atheists are individuals? I found that slightly condescending. Actually atheists have many shared values than they would like to admit. They vote Democrats, support homosexuals, abortion, etc etc. Of course it's not written in stone, just as for followers of organised religion, there are few exceptions but that's all they are, exceptions. They are more likely to disagree on which Star trek is the best than anything else.

Rolleyes Alright Skippy, then give us the good news. Allah gonna make it all better? We just need a little Allah in us and all that sinful voting for democrats will go away?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-08-2015, 07:45 AM
(06-08-2015 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Atheists are individuals? I found that slightly condescending. Actually atheists have many shared values than they would like to admit. They vote Democrats, support homosexuals, abortion, etc etc. Of course it's not written in stone, just as for followers of organised religion, there are few exceptions but that's all they are, exceptions. They are more likely to disagree on which Star trek is the best than anything else.

Oh, fuck off. Your preconceptions show your ignorance and bigotry.
So which of my statements do you think is due to "religious brainwashed propaganda"?
1. Atheists vote for Democrats
2. Support homosexuality
3. Support abortion

Instead of insults, it's better to have a discussion. I can back all 3 of my statements. Can you prove otherwise?

I was only saying that atheists don't have any more individuality than the rest, though I'm sure it's pleasant to imagine so, everyone wants to feel special.
06-08-2015, 07:47 AM
(06-08-2015 07:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, fuck off. Your preconceptions show your ignorance and bigotry.
So which of my statements do you think is due to "religious brainwashed propaganda"?
2. Support homosexuality
3. Support abortion

Instead of insults, it's better to have a discussion. I can back all 3 of my statements. Can you prove otherwise?

I was only saying that atheists don't have any more individually than the rest, though I'm sure it's pleasant to imagine so.

Has every atheist been heard from on these issues? No.

Has each of those ignorant generalizations known counter-examples? Yes.

Your attitude deserves nothing more than insults.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2015, 08:04 AM
(06-08-2015 07:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  So which of my statements do you think is due to "religious brainwashed propaganda"?

Different people will vote different parties.

(06-08-2015 07:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  2. Support homosexuality

What do you mean? I support the rights of fellow human beings to be equal before the law and to possess the same rights as everyone else, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, and gender.

(06-08-2015 07:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  3. Support abortion

I don't "support abortion". I support the right for people, or more specifically, women to choose for themselves without any interference from external parties who have no business with their pregnancies.

I support freedom of choice.

Note that abortion has limitations, it doesn't just say "Oh sure kill the fetus whenever you feel like". There are time limits to it and I find them generally to be appropriate. We can discuss those limits, but what I think is undeniable is the right for women to choose.

---

With that said, this is my view. Many atheists will agree with me, but it's not obvious.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 17 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
06-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Not bad new guy, you picked up a -1 before you even got out of the intro thread! Nice job! Thumbsup
[+] 10 users Like pablo's post
06-08-2015, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 09:10 AM by Szuchow.)
(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Actually atheists have many shared values than they would like to admit.

Prove it.

(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  They vote Democrats,

Especialy those in countries other than USA. Also your assertion isn't enough.

(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  support homosexuals,

Support homosexuals? Meaning what? I think people should have the same rights. So is this supporting homosexuals or basic human decency and not being indoctrinated bigot?

(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  abortion, etc etc.

What supporting abortion mean? I think it's women choice and apart from that I don't care.

You have some proof for these claims?

(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Of course it's not written in stone, just as for followers of organised religion, there are few exceptions but that's all they are, exceptions.

Prove it.

(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  They are more likely to disagree on which Star trek is the best than anything else.

Again, prove it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-08-2015, 08:49 AM
(06-08-2015 07:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your attitude deserves nothing more than insults.
So much for tolerance and free speech.