[split] Assalamo alaikum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 03:57 PM
RE: [split] Assalamo alaikum
(06-08-2015 03:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 01:44 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Often the translations are called interpretation.

Just correcting facts: Translations are written, interpretations are oral.

I know what you meant, but the use of the words is incorrect.
The dictionary doesn't say so. Interpretation and translation, both can either oral or written.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 03:58 PM
(06-08-2015 03:03 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 02:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  The percentages are NOT solid because only certain personality types are captured.

I would allow some validity to the polls IF it wasn't the case that closeted people are a whole different type of person than people who speak out and allow themselves to be counted.

The poll only captures gutsy people who confront the status quo openly. It says more about that type of person than it says about atheists.
Do you have anything to back your statement? Are closeted atheists against gay marriage? They vote for republicans? They are not pro-choice? What data have you used to conclude they are "a whole different type" of people. I am sorry, but burden of proof works both ways.

Of course I don't have any information on closeted atheists, other than the fact that no information exists about them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2015, 04:00 PM
(06-08-2015 03:57 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Just correcting facts: Translations are written, interpretations are oral.

The dictionary doesn't say so. Interpretation and translation, both can either oral or written.

Search google or any engine for translation versus interpretation and every entry will support me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2015, 04:09 PM
(06-08-2015 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:57 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  The dictionary doesn't say so. Interpretation and translation, both can either oral or written.

Search google or any engine for translation versus interpretation and every entry will support me.

Oxford dictionary:Definition of interpretation in English:
noun

[MASS NOUN]
1The action of explaining the meaning of something:
the interpretation of data
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
1.1 [COUNT NOUN] An explanation or way of explaining:
this action is open to a number of interpretations
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
1.2 [COUNT NOUN] A stylistic representation of a creative work or dramatic role:

Meaning any action, is, written or oral or sign language or whatever.
06-08-2015, 04:13 PM
(06-08-2015 03:57 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Just correcting facts: Translations are written, interpretations are oral.

The dictionary you quoted doesn't support what you say. And Dom is right, translations are written, interpretations are oral.

That's why translators translate books, and interpreters work in the European Parliament with microphones, or stay next to the person while using voice as their tool.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
06-08-2015, 04:14 PM
(06-08-2015 03:52 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:40 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Ohhh....and Pi, I have another survey that perhaps you would like to respond to.
How about this one by Pew:
http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/wo...report.pdf

Page 55 shows how many people think those who leave the Muslim faith should be murdered is pretty crazy to me, with some countries approaching 80% in favor of killing people who decide Islam is wrong.

By your logic and phrasing, I could say that Muslims support killing people who reject Islam (there are exceptions, of course).

Do you agree with killing people who leave Islam? Or are you an "exception" and think something more fitting like beatings or some other form of abuse less than death is deserving?

If you were to say most Muslims support killing apostates (who left Islam), you will be correct.

Apostates should be smart and if they do lose faith, they shouldnt come out in Muslim majority areas, just as many of Muslims don't come out with their honest views on things in non Muslim land.

I am unsure on the issue so I don't know what to tell you. Quran says there is no compulsion in religion.

As for killing non Muslims who are not apostates, a big no. No believer supports bloodshed, and Allah hates it too.

Just to clarify then, you are saying you are unsure whether a Muslim who leaves the faith should be put to death for doing so? Why the uncertainty? I'm as sure as I could possibly that killing someone for changing their beliefs is absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Why do most Muslims think this is OK to do?
[+] 4 users Like BryanS's post
06-08-2015, 04:18 PM
(06-08-2015 04:14 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:52 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  If you were to say most Muslims support killing apostates (who left Islam), you will be correct.

Apostates should be smart and if they do lose faith, they shouldnt come out in Muslim majority areas, just as many of Muslims don't come out with their honest views on things in non Muslim land.

I am unsure on the issue so I don't know what to tell you. Quran says there is no compulsion in religion.

As for killing non Muslims who are not apostates, a big no. No believer supports bloodshed, and Allah hates it too.

Just to clarify then, you are saying you are unsure whether a Muslim who leaves the faith should be put to death for doing so? Why the uncertainty? I'm as sure as I could possibly that killing someone for changing their beliefs is absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Why do most Muslims think this is OK to do?

and odd they still follow a "prophet" who raped children, and claimed it was divinely sanctioned.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
06-08-2015, 04:26 PM
(06-08-2015 02:03 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Why is it annoying? I don't get annoyed by what others put in their posts/signatures. But i will move it to my signature now.

Don't you find holier than thou false humility in others to be annoying? I sure as hell do. One of my friends from high school does that now on all of his Facebook posts - not like he says it in routine conversation. Same with Muslims I interact with at work, ones I've dated, my doctors, and yet on social media, it's all "praise be upon him." It's like saying "Look at me, see how devout I am!" Christians do the one upmanship bs, too. And then add in the element of you're giving praise to an imaginary sky fairy tyrant - it's hard to keep from rolling my eyes. Even if the Abrahamic God were real, he would be undeserving of praise.

Putting it in your sig was a good idea. Thumbsup You'll face slightly less antipathy that way.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
06-08-2015, 04:40 PM
(06-08-2015 07:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  1. Atheists vote for Democrats
2. Support homosexuality
3. Support abortion

1. Muslims rape children.
2. Muslims wipe their ass with their bare hands.
3. Muslims fuck goats.

Now I'm not saying there aren't exceptions.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-08-2015, 04:51 PM
(06-08-2015 04:13 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:57 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  The dictionary doesn't say so. Interpretation and translation, both can either oral or written.

The dictionary you quoted doesn't support what you say. And Dom is right, translations are written, interpretations are oral.

That's why translators translate books, and interpreters work in the European Parliament with microphones, or stay next to the person while using voice as their tool.
Sigh, how does the dictionary I posted not support what I said? You do know interpretor translates and not interpret? There are many such words in English language that are unusual.