[split] Assalamo alaikum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2015, 06:31 AM
RE: [split] Assalamo alaikum
(07-08-2015 06:27 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Sorry I missed your question.
Why the uncertainty? Because it's not mentioned in Quran. It's mentioned in hadith which are oral sayings attributed to prophet and have much less authority than Quran.

What is your personal belief regarding apostasy - would you think it right if someone was put to death e.g. for leaving Islam and becoming an atheist?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 06:45 AM
(07-08-2015 06:27 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 06:12 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Perhaps π¶∆ missed this question? Or perhaps he knows his answers would put Islam in a horrible light? Re-posting to see if he responds
Sorry I missed your question.
Why the uncertainty? Because it's not mentioned in Quran. It's mentioned in hadith which are oral sayings attributed to prophet and have much less authority than Quran.

And yet, the majority of Muslims (as you acknowledged) would say that putting someone to death because of their beliefs changing is OK.

Upthread you asked DLJ if he was a former Muslim in a Muslim majority country. If he answered differently, and if he was killed due to his answer, would you feel any guilt for asking such a question? I assume you know the consequences of asking such a question.
07-08-2015, 07:07 AM
(07-08-2015 04:15 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  It completely agrees with my definition and context. What word of it opposes what i said? Interpretation is an action that EXPLAINS, NOT SIMPLY TRANSLATES. Stop arguing without any basis. Of course it has other meanings, what is your point? If it has other meanings that renders the previous meaning useless?

The other meanings you shared have nothing to do with your point, so you sharing them was pointless.

And no, it doesn't agree, it doesn't matter how hard you try. This is what you shared:

Quote:[MASS NOUN]
1The action of explaining the meaning of something:
the interpretation of data
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
1.1 [COUNT NOUN] An explanation or way of explaining:
this action is open to a number of interpretations
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
1.2 [COUNT NOUN] A stylistic representation of a creative work or dramatic role:

1 – General meaning of "interpretation". Not related to the job.
1.1 – Not related to the job
1.2 – This one is speaking about an actor's interpretation of a role, or a singer's interpretation of a piece, again not related to the job.

It doesn't support what you said. Interpreters translate as much as translators do. The difference is the tool/method. That's it.

You're applying the general meanings of those words to a profession that is quite specific, and it shows that you're an outsider of that field. If you were a translator, you wouldn't be arguing that point.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
07-08-2015, 07:08 AM
(07-08-2015 06:45 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 06:27 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Sorry I missed your question.

And yet, the majority of Muslims (as you acknowledged) would say that putting someone to death because of their beliefs changing is OK.

Upthread you asked DLJ if he was a former Muslim in a Muslim majority country. If he answered differently, and if he was killed due to his answer, would you feel any guilt for asking such a question? I assume you know the consequences of asking such a question.
I won't feel any guilt for such a happening. He is solely responsibly for his own actions and decisions.
07-08-2015, 07:10 AM
(07-08-2015 07:08 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 06:45 AM)BryanS Wrote:  And yet, the majority of Muslims (as you acknowledged) would say that putting someone to death because of their beliefs changing is OK.

I won't feel any guilt for such a happening. He is solely responsibly for his own actions and decisions.

Being an accessory to murder would give you no guilt...great...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
07-08-2015, 07:12 AM
(07-08-2015 07:07 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 04:15 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  It completely agrees with my definition and context. What word of it opposes what i said? Interpretation is an action that EXPLAINS, NOT SIMPLY TRANSLATES. Stop arguing without any basis. Of course it has other meanings, what is your point? If it has other meanings that renders the previous meaning useless?

The other meanings you shared have nothing to do with your point, so you sharing them was pointless.

And no, it doesn't agree, it doesn't matter how hard you try. This is what you shared:

Quote:[MASS NOUN]
1The action of explaining the meaning of something:
the interpretation of data
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
1.1 [COUNT NOUN] An explanation or way of explaining:
this action is open to a number of interpretations
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
1.2 [COUNT NOUN] A stylistic representation of a creative work or dramatic role:

1 – General meaning of "interpretation". Not related to the job.
1.1 – Not related to the job
1.2 – This one is speaking about an actor's interpretation of a role, or a singer's interpretation of a piece, again not related to the job.

It doesn't support what you said. Interpreters translate as much as translators do. The difference is the tool/method. That's it.

You're applying the general meanings of those words to a profession that is quite specific, and it shows that you're an outsider of that field. If you were a translator, you wouldn't be arguing that point.

I mentioned all three meanings as i did not feel it ethical to mention only the one meaning that was relevant to what i said. In fairness, if i was so hellbent on proving my point, i should have posted just one meaning, but i believe in transparency.

meaning 1.0 does refer to what i said. Remember, it was not me who brought up the meaning of interpretation. Dom misunderstood interpretation and interpreter. I am only talking about what interpretation means. Interpreter means what Dom has mentioned. Both are different words with different meanings.
07-08-2015, 07:12 AM
(07-08-2015 06:45 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Upthread you asked DLJ if he was a former Muslim in a Muslim majority country. If he answered differently, and if he was killed due to his answer, would you feel any guilt for asking such a question? I assume you know the consequences of asking such a question.

Primum non nocere.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
07-08-2015, 07:14 AM
(07-08-2015 07:10 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 07:08 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  I won't feel any guilt for such a happening. He is solely responsibly for his own actions and decisions.

Being an accessory to murder would give you no guilt...great...

He mentioned himself before i brought it up that he is a non muslim living in a muslim majority country. Hell you can go to see his profile and it mentions Malaysia. What a ridiculous argument.
07-08-2015, 07:15 AM
(07-08-2015 07:14 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 07:10 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Being an accessory to murder would give you no guilt...great...

He mentioned himself before i brought it up that he is a non muslim living in a muslim majority country. Hell you can go to see his profile and it mentions Malaysia. What a ridiculous argument.

A non-Muslim is not an apostate. What a ridiculous person you are.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2015, 07:16 AM
(07-08-2015 06:45 AM)BryanS Wrote:  And yet, the majority of Muslims (as you acknowledged) would say that putting someone to death because of their beliefs changing is OK.

It seems pretty clear to me you do in fact agree with killing people who change their beliefs about Islam. I think you hinted at this when you responded to me earlier with this little nugget:

Quote:Apostates should be smart and if they do lose faith, they shouldnt come out in Muslim majority areas, just as many of Muslims don't come out with their honest views on things in non Muslim land.

I want to focus on the last half of your sentence. Because I think you are not coming out with your honest views on Islam. Supporting the killing of people who change their beliefs about Islam is one such area Muslims are frequently evasive and often lie about.

Such an odd thing about Islam, that adherents find they have to lie about their faith to convince people of its virtues. And then when one joins, the threat of violence and death is there to keep them in. These characteristics of Islam appear rather like those of a cult to me.
[+] 4 users Like BryanS's post