[split] Assalamo alaikum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: [split] Assalamo alaikum
(06-08-2015 08:49 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 07:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your attitude deserves nothing more than insults.
So much for tolerance and free speech.

You'll find on this Forum that you can say pretty much whatever you want (read the rules, there are a few exceptions). As for tolerance you will find, if you stick around awhile, that every Forum member has a different tolerance level for such things as narrow-mindedness, bigotry, racism, sexism and any other topic you might want to discuss.

Right out of the gate you did yourself a huge disservice by making generalizations as others have already called you out on. As for me my tolerance level for ill-informed blanket statements is incredibly small, with that being said this is where I tell you to go fuck yourself.

Hope that helps.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
06-08-2015, 11:32 AM
(06-08-2015 10:59 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup, there is.

You can go the infidel's profile (by clicking on their name) and add them to your "ignore" list (you'll see that option under their avatar).

I am glad "infidel" does not offend you. FYI Kaafir is translated as disbeliever and not infidel.

Btw, what's the average lifespan of a brainwashed extremist muslim on this site? Do they end up getting banned or do they leave after getting bored?

It's been a while, but we had one here for quite some time. He was polite and we discussed all kinds of things. He repped me at some point - so if you want to bother going through my reps and click on his name (it was clearly Muslim) you can go to his profile and call up his threads. I don't have time to do it for you now...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2015, 11:39 AM
(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 07:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  Be aware that atheists are individuals and don't have anything in common with each other but the lack of belief in gods. This is often hard to understand for people who come from an organized religion where masses of people all think along the same lines.
Atheists are individuals? I found that slightly condescending. Actually atheists have many shared values than they would like to admit. They vote Democrats, support homosexuals, abortion, etc etc. Of course it's not written in stone, just as for followers of organised religion, there are few exceptions but that's all they are, exceptions. They are more likely to disagree on which Star trek is the best than anything else.

Worse still was the indirect implication that followers of organised religion are not individuals with different political economic and social views.

Sorry for my off topic rant in an introduction thread.

So here is where things went awry. Your last sentence tells you why.

If you want to know what the people in this forum actually think about your topics, type them in search and you will find many hot arguments on these topics. The atheists here strongly disagree on some of them. Also, the great majority of atheists are in the closet and will not show up in public polls. They would never publicly identify as atheist. Some of us here are in the closet too, some are publicly out. You simply cannot make assumptions based on the small percentage of atheists that are public.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
06-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Oh, and before I go, be aware that this thread is in the "melee" section now - anything goes here, including serious personal attacks. I strongly recommend you start a new one in one of the discussion forums.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-08-2015, 11:45 AM
(06-08-2015 11:18 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 08:49 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  So much for tolerance and free speech.
Right out of the gate you did yourself a huge disservice by making generalizations as others have already called you out on. As for me my tolerance level for ill-informed blanket statements is incredibly small, with that being said this is where I tell you to go fuck yourself.

I stick with my "generalizations". I am sorry if that offended your individuality. I backed them up with polls, but if you are going to go "duuuh, what about that one atheist in uganda" I dont know how to respond to that.
In scientific field, when a disease is researched they usually go for select sections of society to see how it works. No one sits there and says, oh we left out this one guy. We dont care about that one guy. We just want to know what are the COMMON symptoms.

I already said in my original post that there are few exceptions but for the most part, most atheists, vote democrats, support homosexuality ( oh sorry, err...equal-rights-for-all) and are pro-choice on abortion.

If you don't believe me, do a poll on this bloody site. I hope i didn't burst your happy bubble.

Allah knows best.
06-08-2015, 11:45 AM
(06-08-2015 10:59 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  [quote='DLJ' pid='826364' dateline='1438878172']
Btw, what's the average lifespan of a brainwashed extremist muslim on this site? Do they end up getting banned or do they leave after getting bored?

TBH, I'm interested in your beliefs to some extent, where you're coming from, so to speak. You're clearly not a brainwashed extremist muslim.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
06-08-2015, 11:48 AM
(06-08-2015 11:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 07:23 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Atheists are individuals? I found that slightly condescending. Actually atheists have many shared values than they would like to admit. They vote Democrats, support homosexuals, abortion, etc etc. Of course it's not written in stone, just as for followers of organised religion, there are few exceptions but that's all they are, exceptions. They are more likely to disagree on which Star trek is the best than anything else.

Worse still was the indirect implication that followers of organised religion are not individuals with different political economic and social views.

Sorry for my off topic rant in an introduction thread.

So here is where things went awry. Your last sentence tells you why.

If you want to know what the people in this forum actually think about your topics, type them in search and you will find many hot arguments on these topics. The atheists here strongly disagree on some of them. Also, the great majority of atheists are in the closet and will not show up in public polls. They would never publicly identify as atheist. Some of us here are in the closet too, some are publicly out. You simply cannot make assumptions based on the small percentage of atheists that are public.

Well that's the only sensible post i've seen so far with some logical argument.

I've seen many users here who say they haven't declared themselves as atheists due to several reasons. So that much is true. But I feel the overwhelming results we have seen so far, i am fairly certain that the same percentages will apply to them as well. That's the beauty of percentages that you can apply them to usually the whole group with fair degree of confidance.
06-08-2015, 11:54 AM
(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  I stick with my "generalizations".

What a surprise.

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  I am sorry if that offended your individuality. I backed them up with polls, but if you are going to go "duuuh, what about that one atheist in uganda" I dont know how to respond to that.

If I'm not mistaken you responded with one poll about american atheists. It's hardly representative of all atheists and their stance about things you mentioned so you could stop your whinning.

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  I already said in my original post that there are few exceptions but for the most part, most atheists, vote democrats, support homosexuality ( oh sorry, err...equal-rights-for-all) and are pro-choice on abortion.

You said and you think it makes it so? You proved no evidence (except for abortion and only partly).

And what it mean that atheists support homosexuality?

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  If you don't believe me, do a poll on this bloody site. I hope i didn't burst your happy bubble.

What will be proven by making poll on this site? Only what atheists here are thinking.

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Allah knows best.

Certainly Rolleyes

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
06-08-2015, 11:57 AM
(06-08-2015 11:48 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 11:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  So here is where things went awry. Your last sentence tells you why.

Well that's the only sensible post i've seen so far with some logical argument.

I've seen many users here who say they haven't declared themselves as atheists due to several reasons. So that much is true. But I feel the overwhelming results we have seen so far, i am fairly certain that the same percentages will apply to them as well. That's the beauty of percentages that you can apply them to usually the whole group with fair degree of confidance.

No, you can't. Not when the vast majority is not captured. Many atheists are not politically engaged at all. Some are homophobes. Some are very right wing, many are libertarian, many are anti choice. Read before you assume, there is a wealth of data on this forum.

You can't go someplace and tell people what they think. You have no idea who I am or what I think. It makes no sense, and it will not go over well. Try a better approach, you are doing exactly the opposite of what I advised. Try to talk to people as people, they are not your skewed statistics.

[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
06-08-2015, 12:01 PM
(06-08-2015 11:54 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  I stick with my "generalizations".

What a surprise.

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  I am sorry if that offended your individuality. I backed them up with polls, but if you are going to go "duuuh, what about that one atheist in uganda" I dont know how to respond to that.

If I'm not mistaken you responded with one poll about american atheists. It's hardly representative of all atheists and their stance about things you mentioned so you could stop your whinning.

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  I already said in my original post that there are few exceptions but for the most part, most atheists, vote democrats, support homosexuality ( oh sorry, err...equal-rights-for-all) and are pro-choice on abortion.

You said and you think it makes it so? You proved no evidence (except for abortion and only partly).

And what it mean that atheists support homosexuality?

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  If you don't believe me, do a poll on this bloody site. I hope i didn't burst your happy bubble.

What will be proven by making poll on this site? Only what atheists here are thinking.

(06-08-2015 11:45 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Allah knows best.

Certainly Rolleyes
You are seem to be misinformed about how polls work. They don't have to include each and every person in the world to make deductions. Do you think each and every person votes in general elections? 45% is considered a very good turn out. Oh, but what about each and every person who didn't vote? Oh this is so unfair... How can they chose a government without their vote?
Well, ITS GOOD ENOUGH!!! Their vote is not needed because the percentages don't change that much as you increase the sample size.

Allah knows best.